What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

I think HISAR-O is the best deal BD military can get. We can use the O+ version when it's available. Navy can also arm it's future frigate with Hisar- O+ and ATMACA AShM.

Ok, assume that 25km range Hisar-O has maximum altitude of 15km, then it is logical that 15km range FM-90 could have max realistic altitude of 8-9km.

You really think that somehow FM-90 SAM falls out of the sky as soon as it reaches an altitude of 6km when the maximum range is 15km and the radar can guide it out to 20km? Of course not.

6km is probably the figure for an intercept under certain defined conditions and anything above that would mean that the probability of intercept would rapidly diminish.

I assumed and it's still not clear. Both SAMs seem to have 9-10km less range in altitude compared to horizontal limit. I am no expert but i don't think you can just talk about the altitude based on the range. It perhaps also depends on rocket motor, fuel, aerodynamics etc.

That's why i got confused by your comment. Probably an in-depth analysis can be helpful like the link below which also says the altitude is 6km. That's best article i can find so far. And it looks like the Chinese copy doesn't have same performance like the original one. Original Crotale SAM actually has 9km altitude. @LKJ86

1605542830671.png

As for MRSAM range, look at what most MRSAMs are now these days - nearly all fall into the 40-70km range categories. There is no internationally agreed definition of the range parameters of MRSAM but a 25km range "MRSAM" would not be accepted as this in most SAM producing nations of the world.

Not really. Based on my findings i see most of the SAM ranges between 25-40km. Very few are exceptional. I guess it depends on the requirement of a country's armed forces.

I was speaking of distance and not altitude.

So was i right about the altitude part or not?

Last edited:
So was i right about the altitude part or not?

yes you are right. LGB has no service ceiling but that does not mean it can be employed at max altitude of the aircraft carrying the weapon.

yes you are right. LGB has no service ceiling but that does not mean it can be employed at max altitude of the aircraft carrying the weapon.

I am confused here.

If it has no maximum service ceiling and the weather conditions are favourable and the aircraft can laser designate the target, why cannot the plane use LGB from service ceiling?

I am confused here.

If it has no maximum service ceiling and the weather conditions are favourable and the aircraft can laser designate the target, why cannot the plane use LGB from service ceiling?

laser self designation at 65,000 ft is impossible.

What about observer on the ground then?

Only if the laser designation is converted to GPS coordinates and the munitions is dual mode (GPS+Laser).
What about observer on the ground then?

Only if the laser designation is converted to GPS coordinates and the munitions is dual mode (GPS+Laser).

Not really. Based on my findings i see most of the SAM ranges between 25-40km. Very few are exceptional. I guess it depends on the requirement of a country's armed forces.

Let us look at MRSAM by supplier:

1/ France - Aster 15 - Up to 30km - although this is described as short-medium and so not specifically only a MRSAM

2/ Russia - Buk - Up to 70km

3/ China - HQ-16 40km HQ-16B 70km

4/ Iran - Sayyad 2 45km Sayyad 2C - 75km

5/ South Korea - KM-SAM - 40km

Apart from the French Aster which is a short-medium range hybrid all the other MRSAMs have at least 40km range.

Remember the whole idea of a MRSAM is to be able to provide "area defence" to installations like airbases etc that could span many kms across and so that is why MRSAMs these days have at least 40km range and some substantially higher.

Dude, I have given you evidence to back up my argument and you come out with a sarcastic reply!

What is wrong with you?

Just accept when you are wrong and move on.

This is the end of the matter for me as I cannot be bothered arguing with a child anymore.

Dude, I have given you evidence to back up my argument and you come out with a sarcastic reply!

What is wrong with you?

Just accept when you are wrong and move on.

This is the end of the matter for me as I cannot be bothered arguing with a child anymore.

Oh no no no!! You actually misunderstood!! I tried to make a complete list of all SAMs fall under medium range category from every suppliers. And put them in two team based on the argument between us. And that's how i found that your point is right. The few MRSAM you mentioned, they are not all of them. You know that right? I was actually serious. I admitted that i am wrong. Sarcastic reply? WTF!! Where is sarcasm in my post? :undecided: I just felt too lazy to mention every one of them i found and make a list here.

Last edited:
Oh no no no!! You actually misunderstood!! I tried to make a complete list of all SAMs fall under medium range category from every suppliers. And put them in two team based on the argument between us. And that's how i found that your point is right. The few MRSAM you mentioned, they are not all of them. You know that right? I was actually serious. I admitted that i am wrong. Sarcastic reply? WTF!! Where is sarcasm in my post? :undecided: I just felt too lazy to mention every one of them i found and make a list here.

Ok, I apologize for lashing out.

Anyway this conversation should now be allowed to die as it is not really important and this is a BAF thread and the primary focus should be in aircraft and not SAMs.

Ok, I apologize for lashing out.

Anyway this conversation should now be allowed to die as it is not really important and this is a BAF thread and the primary focus should be in aircraft and not SAMs.

Those Hisar-O' aren't for BAF to begin with, they're for BA.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom