What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

I wasn't arguing, merely reaffirming that Hisar O has a max altitude of 15,000 meters.

Why would I argue over such a trivial matter ? If he was an Indian maybe I'd argue over such little things for the sake of argument.

Bangladesh is a small country, given that, I'd say Medium would mean a whole different system for us than it would for example a country like Pakistan, in MRSAM category, for us anything from 30 to 50 KM would be appropriate.

Long range, If ever procured, could be 60+ km and so on, In context of Bangladesh, I feel like the ly80 is LRSAM.

FM-90B is great for short range defence but we need a few more regiments for both BAF and BA, currently we have what 4 regiments ?

Alot of high level infrastructural projects are reaching their completion, some even more important than Padma bridge, places like these need to be brought under the air defence umbrella, example Matarbari deep-sea port & Payra Deep Seaport.

I seriously doubt they have completed fulfilled the shorad requirement with only 4 - 5 regiments of FM-90B....

Whatever happened to manufacturing MANPADs in Bangladesh ? Anybody got an update.

BA already has QW-2 manpad and has started manufacturing QN-16 after getting ToT from China. It is already in service I think.
4-5 regiments of FM-90 plus the man portable SAMs are probably as much as BD will procure for the time being.
It is time to procure MRSAMs now which are long overdue.

45 km in ideal conditions, 0 in adverse conditions cloud cover, fog and sand storm. 15 km sounds about right for a typical conditions.
Partly the reason why we still practice gun runs and toss/dive bombing.

I actually mentioned you to clarify about the altitude for air-to-ground attack. How can it be 45km if the fighter jet has service ceiling of 15-18 km?

Why would I argue over such a trivial matter ? If he was an Indian maybe I'd argue over such little things for the sake of argument.

The argument part is actually for UKBengali as he was dragging it the most.

I feel like the ly80 is LRSAM

HQ-16A? No. HQ-16D? Maybe.

FM-90B is great for short range defence but we need a few more regiments for both BAF and BA, currently we have what 4 regiments ?

BAF has been inducting FM-90 since 2011, they should have done inducting it by now.

Alot of high level infrastructural projects are reaching their completion, some even more important than Padma bridge, places like these need to be brought under the air defence umbrella, example Matarbari deep-sea port & Payra Deep Seaport.

You mean area defense? That will be done by LR-SAM which will not happen so soon. I heard BAF will only put SAM in it's bases. Army is in charge of providing nationwide air defense.

Whatever happened to manufacturing MANPADs in Bangladesh ? Anybody got an update.

Last time i checked in 2017 MHD, they are manufacturing it. Even came in last MANPAD tender.

The Hisar is worth €118 million, so many regiments is that ?

Two batteries at least according to Turkish member.

Let them keep dreaming. They are just dreaming about almost all the Turkish weapons. They are even thinking of buying LHD from Turkey.
Supa Powa Myanmar!
463586152-cropped.jpg

This just went over my head. With that logic Hisar O should have increased altitude as it can detect and track targets up to 40-60km. :undecided:

Ok, assume that 25km range Hisar-O has maximum altitude of 15km, then it is logical that 15km range FM-90 could have max realistic altitude of 8-9km.

You really think that somehow FM-90 SAM falls out of the sky as soon as it reaches an altitude of 6km when the maximum range is 15km and the radar can guide it out to 20km? Of course not.

6km is probably the figure for an intercept under certain defined conditions and anything above that would mean that the probability of intercept would rapidly diminish.

As for MRSAM range, look at what most MRSAMs are now these days - nearly all fall into the 40-70km range categories. There is no internationally agreed definition of the range parameters of MRSAM but a 25km range "MRSAM" would not be accepted as this in most SAM producing nations of the world.

I actually mentioned you to clarify about the altitude for air-to-ground attack. How can it be 45km if the fighter jet has service ceiling of 15-18 km?
I was speaking of distance and not altitude. Detection range depends on the contrast, against a cold backdrop detection range increases. For a observer on the ground and the heat source in the air, a cold night arctic sky will offer the best contrast - in these ideal conditions detection is possible at max range >= 45 km. The opposite is true for the observer in the sky and the heat source on a hot desert. As with all things military the real world tends to expose design flaws and limitations of technology really quickly.

I was speaking of distance and not altitude. Detection range depends on the contrast, against a cold backdrop detection range increases. For a observer on the ground and the heat source in the air, a cold night arctic sky will offer the best contrast - in these ideal conditions detection is possible at max range >= 45 km. The opposite is true for the observer in the sky and the heat source on a hot desert. As with all things military the real world tends to expose design flaws and limitations of technology really quickly.

Thanks for that clear explantion.

I read that US LGBs can hit targets from up to 28km, and so in theory a plane can be at it's service ceiling of say 17km and still be able to bomb using LGB as long as the weather conditions are favourable.

Last edited:
Thanks for that clear explantion.

I read that US LGBs can hit targets from up to 28km, and so in theory a plane can be at it's service ceiling of say 17km and still be able to bomb using LGB as long as the weather conditions are favourable.

LGB is a glide weapon so the range of employment increases with altitude. For first generation LGB kits, If laser designation is provided by a third party ( troops on the ground) and not self designated then the weapon is still limited by the ability of the LGB sensor to see the laser.
Later generation of LGBs known as Dual Mode Laser Guided Bomb (DMLGB) kits is equipped with GPS/INS and so your assumption is true. For 1st gen LGB its not true.

LGB is a glide weapon so the range of employment increases with altitude. For first generation LGB kits, If laser designation is provided by a third party ( troops on the ground) and not self designated then the weapon is still limited by the ability of the LGB sensor to see the laser.
Later generation of LGBs known as Dual Mode Laser Guided Bomb (DMLGB) kits is equipped with GPS/INS and so your assumption is true. For 1st gen LGB its not true.

Surely the way around the problem with 3rd party laser designation for 1st gen LGBs is for the weapon to be released aiming for a "box" in the general area, and then once it picks up the laser when close enough it can hit the target with pinpoint accuracy?

Surely the way around the problem with 3rd party laser designation for 1st gen LGBs is for the weapon to be released aiming for a "box" in the general area, and then once it picks up the laser when close enough it can hit the target with pinpoint accuracy?
No..too dangerous to release a PGM in the hope of receiving guidance. The munition is armed and will explode upon impact. The risk of civilian or friendies getting hurt is too great.

Back
Top Bottom