What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

It is natural to feel deflated but we must keep hope.

BN from 10 years ago is a radically different force who have achieved quantum leap in capability.

BA has also seen improvements maybe not as vast as BN but they have introduced Sams, increased artillery and have upgraded infantry assets as well as numbers.

Coast guard has seen doubling of assets.

BGB also has seen improvements.

It is BAF that is lagging behind. One deal will change the scenario. Just 16 4th generation jets will give us upper hand vis a vis the savages.

BAF is responsible for its fate. Having seen them publicly recognising their failure gives me hope.

I wish it was just BAF but now BN is also not upgrading as it should be doing, although I admit that it is doing better than BAF.

Why after over 3 years has a partner not yet been selected to build the 6-next gen frigates? There is no good reason and it will take a good 18-24 months to agree on a design after a partner has been selected unless it is off the shelf and Western options would probably be out of BN's budget. Having the shipyard ready and no design to build from only adds more delays to an already very delayed programme.

The clue is in BN's preoccupation with buying 2nd hand frigate after 2nd hand frigate. You could just about digest the first two Type-053H3 but not the two brought last year. What is the point of the latest two frigates? They are useless against India and BN already has sufficient ships against MN. Yes some will keep coming back to numbers time after time but no navy that is serious about building 6 next-gen frigates very soon buys these many 2nd hand frigates in such a short space of time.

The simple truth is that BD is a militarily weak and cowed country simply due to the strategic decision of it's BAL leadership in power. No amount of competence and patriotism of the military will change this.

I wish it was just BAF but now BN is also not upgrading as it should be doing, although I admit that it is doing better than BAF.

Why after over 3 years has a partner not yet been selected to build the 6-next gen frigates? There is no good reason and it will take a good 18-24 months to agree on a design after a partner has been selected unless it is off the shelf and Western options would probably be out of BN's budget. Having the shipyard ready and no design to build from only adds more delays to an already very delayed programme.

The clue is in BN's preoccupation with buying 2nd hand frigate after 2nd hand frigate. You could just about digest the first two Type-053H3 but not the two brought last year. What is the point of the latest two frigates? They are useless against India and BN already has sufficient ships against MN. Yes some will keep coming back to numbers time after time but no navy that is serious about building 6 next-gen frigates very soon buys these many 2nd hand frigates in such a short space of time.

The simple truth is that BD is a militarily weak and cowed country simply due to the strategic decision of it's BAL leadership in power. No amount of competence and patriotism of the military will change this.

I like how we're a maritime based country and our navy isn't that capable , idk why it's taking so long to get a partner I don't think it's Covid - 19 it's just pure leadership.

Why 6 frigates , is Bangladesh acting like the other frigates are modern ? And our cruise missile range sucks too sadly. 250km I think is max and its from one ship and that ship is our best ship aka Ulsan Class Frigate.

Our dam Corvettes aren't even ASW capable , and where the heck is our ASW helicopters ?

All these dam ships are equipped with FM-90 short *** systems , that ain't nothing.

I remember when they showed the Type 53h3s on the news the dam navy acted like theses were Arleigh Bruke class destroyers

Spain is about to put in for 20 EFT..... BD has lost its window of opportunity.... it will take atleast another 5 years for new jets unless additional production line is opened....that is a possibility..... but seriously if eft was to come to BD it would be 2nd hand.....

In all seriousness I think EFT dream is dead..... likely to be J10 or some more russian junk.. F16 unlikely as is Gripen in my opinion....
Nice.

tenor (8).gif

Good stuff.... GOB needs to support them. Use these for continious surveillance of borders, EEZ, rivers etc. Most efficient and cheapest methodology and as it is home grown we save on hard currency.

We need to support them to get a few mini Satellites up and suddenly BD has completely indeginious UAV fleet.

Hmm I just wondered when the world by 2027-2030 will move onto 5th generation fighter aircraft what will Bangaldesh do then ?

Like we will become a middle income nation by then and our economy can support 5th generation aircraft.

But as usual we're always 2 gens behind , but by then Bangladesh will hopefully have a solid aeronautical industry.

Idk why we aren't building helicopters ? There is a demand for them in Bangladesh though
Good stuff.... GOB needs to support them. Use these for continious surveillance of borders, EEZ, rivers etc. Most efficient and cheapest methodology and as it is home grown we save on hard currency.

We need to support them to get a few mini Satellites up and suddenly BD has completely indeginious UAV fleet.

True , but we will start building larger or medium sats in 2 years so small sats won't be that needed.

Hmm I just wondered when the world by 2027-2030 will move onto 5th generation fighter aircraft what will Bangaldesh do then ?

Like we will become a middle income nation by then and our economy can support 5th generation aircraft.

But as usual we're always 2 gens behind , but by then Bangladesh will hopefully have a solid aeronautical industry.

Why has BAF not already upgraded it's current 8 Mig-29s with new radars and the R-77 active-radar guided AAM?

If there was any intent on fulfilling it's primary mission then this would have been done years ago. It costs little and well within the funds BAF has.

All it seems interested in spending it's money on is trainers and transport planes.

As for world moving into 5th gen, yes if BAF does order anything in the next 1-2 years from the West then expect it to expend the allocated treasure on maybe 16 Eurofighters that would have no hope in hell on standing up to the Chinese J-35 fighter that Myanmar could be fielding towards the end of this decade/early 2030s.
Far better and cheaper for BAF to negotiate with USA and get hold of cheap F-16Cs that are being retired that still have a good 10-15 years of service life left.
USA may even upgrade with the brilliant APG-83 AESA radar and supply the AIM-120D missile in limited numbers. If you don't ask, you do not get.

BAF is an incompetent and corrupt organisation that has no strategic vision apart from playing with lots of trainers and transport aircraft.

Lastly, BAF will be the only Airforce on this planet with more trainers than fighter planes after the latest batch of K8 arrives. Most airforces it is 2-3:1 ratio between warplanes:trainers.
Yes BAF will finally be no. 1 in something in the world.

Why has BAF not already upgraded it's current 8 Mig-29s with new radars and the R-77 active-radar guided AAM?

If there was any intent on fulfilling it's primary mission then this would have been done years ago. It costs little and well within the funds BAF has.

All it seems interested in spending it's money on is trainers and transport planes.

As for world moving into 5th gen, yes if BAF does order anything in the next 1-2 years from the West then expect it to expend the allocated treasure on maybe 16 Eurofighters that would have no hope in hell on standing up to the Chinese J-35 fighter that Myanmar could be fielding towards the end of this decade/early 2030s.
Far better and cheaper for BAF to negotiate with USA and get hold of cheap F-16Cs that are being retired that still have a good 10-15 years of service life left.
USA may even upgrade with the brilliant APG-83 AESA radar and supply the AIM-120D missile in limited numbers. If you don't ask, you do not get.

BAF is an incompetent and corrupt organisation that has no strategic vision apart from playing with lots of trainers and transport aircraft.

Lastly, BAF will be the only Airforce on this planet with more trainers than fighter planes after the latest batch of K8 arrives. Most airforces it is 2-3:1 ratio between warplanes:trainers.
Yes BAF will finally be no. 1 in something in the world.

Ok I disagree with Myanmar at fielding J-31s cause their economy can't support that many stealth fighters or even if they can they would go broke.

And with American F-16s , nah we don't trust America as much cause they can sanction us easily

And yeah BAF is done honestly, Air Force Chief did mention we need new fighters so there's a bit of hope.

We are upgrading the Migs currently soo

Ok I disagree with Myanmar at fielding J-31s cause their economy can't support that many stealth fighters or even if they can they would go broke.

And with American F-16s , nah we don't trust America as much cause they can sanction us easily

And yeah BAF is done honestly, Air Force Chief did mention we need new fighters so there's a bit of hope.

We are upgrading the Migs currently soo

12-16 they can afford. That is all they need to take care of BD. 5th gen fighters have kill ratios at least 10:1 even against latest 4th gen ones and the Chinese are getting closer to Western tech all the time.
J-31s won't cost as much as Western 5th gen types like F-35 anyway.

As for USA, why would they sanction as these F-16s are for Myanmar and not India?
Yes BD will have to give something to USA as nothing comes for free.
These refurbished F-16s are only for 10-15 years to tie BAF over till actual realistic 5th gen options(Turkey?) become available.

Any new build 4th gen fighter orders now are a waste of time. Not that BAF/BD seem likely to order anything in the immediate future.

Last edited:
12-16 they can afford. That is all they need to take care of BD. 5th gen fighters have kill ratios at least 10:1 even against latest 4th gen ones and the Chinese are getting closer to Western tech all the time.
J-31s won't cost as much as Western 5th gen types like F-35 anyway.

As for USA, why would they sanction as these F-16s are for Myanmar and not India?
Yes BD will have to give something to USA as nothing comes for free.
These refurbished F-16s are only for 10-15 years to tie BAF over till actual realistic 5th gen options(Turkey?) become available.

Any new build 4th gen fighter orders now are a waste of time. Not that BAF/BD seem likely to order anything in the immediate future.

You know we can just get 2nd hand Typhoons instead ? And you know India is gonna get insecure if we buy F-16s , and try to negotiate with America to not support us.

America will try to control us through these F-16s , that's how American diplomacy works.

Plus Myanmar will cease to exist in the future cause they are already a broken country ready to explode.

You know we can just get 2nd hand Typhoons instead ? And you know India is gonna get insecure if we buy F-16s , and try to negotiate with America to not support us.

America will try to control us through these F-16s , that's how American diplomacy works.

Plus Myanmar will cease to exist in the future cause they are already a broken country ready to explode.

Are 2nd hand Typhoons even available apart from Austria?
We can talk about that once they are for sale again as it looks like BAF has shown zero interest in the Austrian ones currently on sale.
If available they would be better than F-16s, although more expensive choice.

As for India, they will only care if BD gets AESA radar and AIM-120D as the F-16 Block 50/52+ is no match for their Rafales with AESA + Meteor missile. Yes USA may not sell that package but we have no way of knowing unless BD actually asks them.
Like I already said F-16 is NOT for India but Myanmar. China will supply fighters to take on India but since BAF cannot even equip itself for Myanmar that is in the distance for now.

Refurbished F-16s like I say will only be for 10-15 years while BD gets richer and has real options on buying sanction free 5th gen fighters like say from Turkey.

Any country that BD deals with will try to "control" BD in one way or another. New build 4th gen fighters will make BD dependent on the supplier nation for 30 years from 2025 at the earliest now onwards.
Trick with USA is not to rely on them too much. BD can balance between USA and China by buying the correct system from each country.

Myanmar breaking up is a pipe dream for now. They have sold themselves to the Chinese and China will keep them intact as long as they stay in line. China gains nothing from a multitude of states rising from the ashes of Myanmar.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom