What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

Too expensive to buy and operate Typhoons and Superbugs.

Refurbished Typhoons would be affordable to buy but operations and munitions would be expensive.
Superbugs would be expensive to buy but cheaper to operate and munitions would be cheaper.
This would leave no money for J-10CE at least till latter part of this decade.

I would rather BAF got refurbished Typhoons and J-10CEs this decade. 16 Typhoons would be fine unless MAF buys even more fighters which is unlikely due to their small defence budget.
With J-10CE build up a force of at least 3-4(48-64 planes) squadrons by the end of the decade.

I would be ok with that however, BAF supposedly had a requirement for a maritime strike fighter with two engines.

Where does that fit in with a Eurofighter/J-10 combo?

I would be ok with that however, BAF supposedly had a requirement for a maritime strike fighter with two engines.

Where does that fit in with a Eurofighter/J-10 combo?

That is right and the SU-30SM was supposed to fill that requirement.

Eurofighter has two engines and can fly over oceans as it regularly does that for the UK and so that should suffice.

Italian Marte-ER anti-ship missile with range in excess of 100km is cleared for Typhoon use.

That is right and the SU-30SM was supposed to fill that requirement.

Eurofighter has two engines and can fly over oceans as it regularly does that for the UK and so that should suffice.

Italian Marte-ER anti-ship missile with range in excess of 100km is cleared for Typhoon use.

Can an upgraded Tranche 1 perform the maritime mission?

I would think a Superbug is more suited for that.

Yes of course a Superbug would be better but Eurofighters can navigate over water and fire anti-ship missiles like Marte-ER.That is all you need for BD's requirements.

You can create a dedicated squadron of Eurofighters if BN really pushes for this as this will bring commonality with the Eurofighters of the BAF.

It will be an expensive waste of resources to buy the Superbug for little extra gain for a cash-strapped country like BD. Think of all that separate infrastructure and training that will be required.

EFT was made with maritime mission also in mind. Remember it was to go against the ruskies and prevent any potential blockade of UK. I think it serves BD purpose unless those with greater knowledge can shed more light on the issue.

Yes of course a Superbug would be better but Eurofighters can navigate over water and fire anti-ship missiles like Marte-ER.That is all you need for BD's requirements.

You can create a dedicated squadron of Eurofighters if BN really pushes for this as this will bring commonality with the Eurofighters of the BAF.

It will be an expensive waste of resources to buy the Superbug for little extra gain for a cash-strapped country like BD. Think of all that separate infrastructure and training that will be required.

The fact that we are even having this conversation is progress.

The fact that we are even having this conversation is progress.

It has already been announced in Parliament that BN will get a dedicated maritime strike squadron but this seems to have fallen off the radar for now as the BAF seems to be rightly getting priority with the 16 fighters that are about to be purchased this fiscal.

BD military has huge plans but fiscal constraints are slowing the rate as which it can get hold of these big ticket items.

As the economy gets exponentially larger expect larger and larger quantities of sophisticated weapons to be brought.

I would rather build a force of Eurofighters and Super Bugs.

The former for mainly air to air.

The later for multi role and namely the maritime mission.

This leaves open the prospect of J-10C at some point if needed.

The key in my opinion is access to BVR munitions.

Too expensive to buy and operate Typhoons and Superbugs.

Refurbished Typhoons would be affordable to buy but operations and munitions would be expensive.
Superbugs would be expensive to buy but cheaper to operate and munitions would be cheaper.
This would leave no money for J-10CE at least till latter part of this decade.

I would rather BAF got refurbished Typhoons and J-10CEs this decade. 16 Typhoons would be fine unless MAF buys even more fighters which is unlikely due to their small defence budget.
With J-10CE build up a force of at least 3-4(48-64 planes) squadrons by the end of the decade.
You should stick to one platform type. You need a workhorse that just gets the job done, no need to split across roles for the sake of different platforms when any one of the above should do the job well on its own. This is inefficient.

Just focus on accruing savings across logistics and maintenance, and then using that money on better (or more) munitions or maybe R&D.

Seriously, Poland is a good example of how to approach modernization for the future. Basically, start with 3~4 squadrons of one great multi-mission platform.

Now, if upfront and operating costs are a concern, then pursue the Gripen E/F or F-16 Block-70/72 (~$150 m), and forget about everything else, just build numbers on an affordable platform. Saab offers great offsets and ToT too, by the way.

Alternatively, if a higher end twin-engine is the goal, then look at only 32~36 F/A-18E/F Super Hornets (with an option for 16~18 more for later).

Stick to that fleet, and put the savings of operating one platform towards saving for the future, maybe a next-generation fighter. So, once the TF-X, KF-X, Airbus FCAS, British Tempest come alive, acquire 1 squadron of those for deep-strike.

Basically, copy what Poland did by starting with the F-16s first, and then moving onto the F-35 later. If I was the BAF, I'd start with the Gripen E/F first, and then move towards any one of the future FGFAs.

You should stick to one platform type. You need a workhorse that just gets the job done, no need to split across roles for the sake of different platforms when any one of the above should do the job well on its own. This is inefficient.

Just focus on accruing savings across logistics and maintenance, and then using that money on better (or more) munitions or maybe R&D.

Seriously, Poland is a good example of how to approach modernization for the future. Basically, start with 3~4 squadrons of one great multi-mission platform.

Now, if upfront and operating costs are a concern, then pursue the Gripen E/F or F-16 Block-70/72 (~$150 m), and forget about everything else, just build numbers on an affordable platform. Saab offers great offsets and ToT too, by the way.

Alternatively, if a higher end twin-engine is the goal, then look at only 32~36 F/A-18E/F Super Hornets (with an option for 16~18 more for later).

Stick to that fleet, and put the savings of operating one platform towards saving, maybe a next-generation fighter. So, once the TF-X, KF-X, Airbus FCAS, British Tempest come alive, acquire 1 squadron of those for deep-strike.

Basically, copy what Poland did by starting with the F-16s first, and then moving onto the F-35 later. If I was the BAF, I'd start with the Gripen E/F first, and then move towards any one of the future FGFAs.

Yup.

Agreed but as often happens, politics play a predominant role in procurement decisions.

Gripen is out.

Looks like it’s a race between Eurofighter, Superbug, Viper, J-10, MiG-35 and Su-30.

Yup.

Agreed but as often happens, politics play a predominant role in procurement decisions.

Gripen is out.

Looks like it’s a race between Eurofighter, Superbug, Viper, J-10, MiG-35 and Su-30.

Absolutely no way any Russian fighters will be brought.

Look at how much BD is prepared to pay for Apache to see that Russia is being edged out of major BD weapons systems procurements from now.

Absolutely no way any Russian fighters will be brought.

Look at how much BD is prepared to pay for Apache to see that Russia is being edged out of major BD weapons systems procurements from now.

I hope you are right.

Although until the planes are on the ground in Bangladesh anything is possible.

I hope you are right.

Although until the planes are on the ground in Bangladesh anything is possible.

Apache was chosen by BAF and not BA.
It will join the air-force and not the army.
BAF is not as imbecilic as some people think.

There won't be multiple platforms in service with BAF. Not untill they go for the 5'th generation which is still at least 15 years away for BAF.

So whatever the platform is be it typhoons, Super Hornet or Vipers it will be our backbone for the foreseeable future.

Apache was chosen by BAF and not BA.
It will join the air-force and not the army.
BAF is not as imbecilic as some people think.

Come on bro. BAF blew the Imbecilometer so hard, @vishwambhar mistook it for an atomic bomb going off in Burma.

BAF's do-nothing approach has done irreparable damage to its rank and file. The damage is so deep, even Wing Commanders are flying Yaks to compensate.

Mere 16 MRCAs being inducted next year (optimistic) cannot undo the damage of the last 20 years even if they procure F-22 Raptors.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom