What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

Have you considered the possibility of purchasing EFT and also F-16s?! In this case both the platforms should be refurbished as buying new EFTs and Vipers is not financially viable. This scenario may get us AMRAAMs for both the platforms. Even then, I would prefer the AESA/Meteor upgrade for the tranche 1 EFTs, if we get to purchase the bird at all!!!

No as this is not geopolitically smart.

Remember West(led by USA) wants to build up India to confront China.

Best that BD sticks with one Western fighter to take on Myanmar and then goes with China(J-10CE/FC-31) to deter India.

BD needs a Western/Chinese mix and take out Russia from any major weapons systems going forward.

Guys, these massive contracts of around 5 billion US dollar for BAF will be signed before June 30 this year as this is when the fiscal ends.
Cannot wait for what the 16 fighters are going to be!:yahoo:

Guys, these massive contracts of around 5 billion US dollar for BAF will be signed before June 30 this year as this is when the fiscal ends.
Cannot wait for what the 16 fighters are going to be!:yahoo:
If I am not wrong the contract for 24 trainers are already signed. BAF will sign KRONOS Land & RAT 31 radar deals during EURASIA Review in Turkey.

Deals for helis will be signed during PM's Italy tour & a clear headway in MRCA induction.

Exiting times are ahead, my friends! Cheers!!

If I am not wrong the contract for 24 trainers are already signed. BAF will sign KRONOS Land & RAT 31 radar deals during EURASIA Review in Turkey.

Deals for helis will be signed during PM's Italy tour & a clear headway in MRCA induction.

Exiting times are ahead, my friends! Cheers!!

MRCA will be refurbished Eurofighter(AESA and Meteor), new build Superhornet(AESA and AIM-120C7) and refurbished F-16 Block 50/52(Mechanical radar + AIM-120C7). This is the most anticipated BD military procurement probably of all time and we shall find out by June 30 this year.:D

Yep, it will be more expensive to buy the planes, operate and obtain munitions but the extra capability and freedom from US dictats will be worth it.

Interestingly Eurofighter is slightly better at air to air than Rafale and so BAF would end up with a slightly better fighter than anything India has.

16 EFT checks IAF for 5-7 years..... they will only have 36 for a while and they wont be placing all of them against us.

Everything else in BAF or IAF inventory can be taken out by BVR missiles from EFT or raffles so very much redundant.

16 EFT checks IAF for 5-7 years..... they will only have 36 for a while and they wont be placing all of them against us.

Everything else in BAF or IAF inventory can be taken out by BVR missiles from EFT or raffles so very much redundant.

EF(with AESA and Meteor) is good but 16 cannot handle over 200 IAF SU-30MKIs/Mig-29s and Mirage 2000s coming at it, let alone when paired with 12-18 Rafales.

I am guessing that if BAF went for refurbished Euro-fighters then it would get something like 12 Meteors per plane, which would be 2 loads worth. This makes it just under 200 missiles and so even if every single missile hit it's target(unlikely) then IAF would still have plenty of fighters left to attack BD.

EF(with AESA and Meteor) is good but 16 cannot handle over 200 IAF SU-30MKIs/Mig-29s and Mirage 2000s coming at it, let alone when paired with 12-18 Rafales.

I am guessing that if BAF went for refurbished Euro-fighters then it would get something like 12 Meteors per plane, which would be 2 loads worth. This makes it just under 200 missiles and so even if every single missile hit it's target(unlikely) then IAF would still have plenty of fighters left to attack BD.

Here other BD assets comes into play. Can IAF really get 200 jets airborne at the same time....i absolutely assure you they can not. This is not WW2.

Can BD get 30 jets up in the air .... yes it can. Will anti aircraft defense kick in yes...

BAF will play a defensive role and 16 EFT in my opinion will completely change the game. Additionally just 2 loads of missile? Inventory seems a little light. You are not going to buy a jet for 10s of millions and then cheap out on 1 million a piece missile.

With $5Bln you can establish an aircraft build factory with some weapons as well....

More jobs, independence and freedom of integeration...

It is just an educational question?

I rather want to see a very robust and armed to teeth BD as you know!

I think there is a parallel effort.

https://www.dhakatribune.com/bangla...viation-university-set-for-takeoff-in-january

https://en.prothomalo.com/bangladesh/news/200698/Saudi-Arabia-to-build-aircraft-maintenance

But keep in mind, these above steps are analgous to buying notebooks before kindergarten starts.

Building modern fighters is more like taking advanced mathematics classes in college.

So these are very early steps that take time.

Perhaps in the future, some assembly will be taking place in country as its aviation related human capital increases in capability.

But for the short term, its obvious a significant upgrade in tactical capability is required which necessitates hardware purchases of this nature.

And even that is significant progress for a nation like Bangladesh.

Here other BD assets comes into play. Can IAF really get 200 jets airborne at the same time....i absolutely assure you they can not. This is not WW2.

Can BD get 30 jets up in the air .... yes it can. Will anti aircraft defense kick in yes...

BAF will play a defensive role and 16 EFT in my opinion will completely change the game. Additionally just 2 loads of missile? Inventory seems a little light. You are not going to buy a jet for 10s of millions and then cheap out on 1 million a piece missile.

It is usually 2 loads of AAMs in fighters. That is the way it is with most airforces.

200 Meteor BVRAAMs for 16 fighters is about right and this will come to a cool 0.5 billion US dollars and so not exactly cheap.

Remember that BAF would also need to buy over 100 WVRAAMs to go with this - probably ASRAAMs from UK.

Edit - just found this:

https://www.forces.net/news/uk-given-approval-buy-us-missiles

"The United States has approved the sale of AIM-120D Advanced Medium Range Air-to-Air Missiles (AMRAAMs) at a cost of $650 million.

The US Defense Security Cooperation Agency says the UK Government has requested to buy up to 200 of the missiles.

The AMRAAM will be used on Britain's variant of the F-35 aircraft."

200 AIM-120D which is similar to Meteor for 650 million US dollars and that would be for the 48 F-35B jets that UK has purchased.

Last edited:
MRCA will be refurbished Eurofighter(AESA and Meteor), new build Superhornet(AESA and AIM-120C7) and refurbished F-16 Block 50/52(Mechanical radar + AIM-120C7). This is the most anticipated BD military procurement probably of all time and we shall find out by June 30 this year.:D

I can’t see Eurofighter, Super Hornet AND Viper.

Honestly, I’d be happy with just one of the three.

I can’t see Eurofighter, Super Hornet AND Viper.

Honestly, I’d be happy with just one of the three.

I meant it will be one of those three.

My preference in order from highest to lowest:

1. Refurbished Eurofighter with AESA radar + Meteor.

Only a single squadron of 16 is ample firepower to handle the whole of the MAF with current inventory and orders placed.
Actually it will wipe them out in one sortie in theory if MAF dares throw them all against BAF.

2. Refurbished F-16 Block 50/52 with AIM-120C7

Cheap to buy and operate and will be able to handle current MAF plans.

3. New build Superhornet with AIM-120C7

Expensive to buy but very useful in maritime role.
Will become obsolete in the 2030s as 5th gen fighters proliferate.

I meant it will be one of those three.

My preference in order from highest to lowest:

1. Refurbished Eurofighter with AESA radar + Meteor.

Only a single squadron of 16 is ample firepower to handle the whole of the MAF with current inventory and orders placed.
Actually it will wipe them out in one sortie in theory if MAF dares throw them all against BAF.

2. Refurbished F-16 Block 50/52 with AIM-120C7

Cheap to buy and operate and will be able to handle current MAF plans.

3. New build Superhornet with AIM-120C7

Expensive to buy but very useful in maritime role.
Will become obsolete in the 2030s as 5th gen fighters proliferate.

I would rather build a force of Eurofighters and Super Bugs.

The former for mainly air to air.

The later for multi role and namely the maritime mission.

This leaves open the prospect of J-10C at some point if needed.

The key in my opinion is access to BVR munitions.

Last edited:
I would rather build a force of Eurofighters and Super Bugs.

The former for mainly air to air.

The later for multi role and namely the maritime mission.

This leaves open the prospect of J-10C at some point if needed.

Too expensive to buy and operate Typhoons and Superbugs.

Refurbished Typhoons would be affordable to buy but operations and munitions would be expensive.
Superbugs would be expensive to buy but cheaper to operate and munitions would be cheaper.
This would leave no money for J-10CE at least till latter part of this decade.

I would rather BAF got refurbished Typhoons and J-10CEs this decade. 16 Typhoons would be fine unless MAF buys even more fighters which is unlikely due to their small defence budget.
With J-10CE build up a force of at least 3-4(48-64 planes) squadrons by the end of the decade.

Back
Top Bottom