What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

In a war situation they will bring this amount in.

Remember that India has around 400 4th generation fighter aircraft.
Certainly not, that’s not how modern wars are fought. Even US the worlds largest airforce do not take half their inventory to any campaign.

Certainly not, that’s not how modern wars are fought. Even US the worlds largest airforce do not take half their inventory to any campaign.

OK. Say if there was a war between India and Pakistan, how many of India's 4th generation fighters would be deployed against Pakistan?
I would say they would leave at most 100 against China and use the rest against Pakistan.

As an example in Gulf War 1, US deployed 1800 combat aircraft against Iraq. At the time they had around 5000 combat aircraft in total and so 36% of their total force - they would have brought more but these were not required.

Are you seriously saying that India would not deploy enough aircraft against BD to overwhelm 16 EFs(even though with AESA/Meteor)?

OK. Say if there was a war between India and Pakistan, how many of India's 4th generation fighters would be deployed against Pakistan?
I would say they would leave at most 100 against China and use the rest against Pakistan.

As an example in Gulf War 1, US deployed 1800 combat aircraft against Iraq. At the time they had around 5000 combat aircraft in total and so 36% of their total force - they would have brought some more but these were not required.

Are you seriously saying that India would not deploy enough aircraft against BD to overwhelm 16 EFs(even though with AESA/Meteor)?

I can't imagine a scenario in which India and Bangladesh would be in armed conflict.

However, if such a scenario were to take place, you can be sure India would not leave its Western theater unguarded.

**All the more reason for Bangladesh and Pakistan to become closer**

I can't imagine a scenario in which India and Bangladesh would be in armed conflict.

However, if such a scenario were to take place, you can be sure India would not leave its Western theater unguarded.

200 against BD leaves 200 against Pakistan.

The 200 against BD can also be used against China if required.

These numbers were theoretical and they would only need say 12-18 Rafales and 100 SU-30MKIs/Mig-29s/Mirage 2000s to overwhelm BAF with 16 Eurofighters and 8 unmodernised Mig-29s.

200 against BD leaves 200 against Pakistan.

The 200 against BD can also be used against China if required.

These numbers were theoretical and they would only need say 12-18 Rafales and 100 SU-30MKIs/Mig-29s/Mirage 2000s to overwhelm BAF with 16 Eurofighters and 8 unmodernised Mig-29s.

You are correct of course.

BAF needs way more than 16 4+ gen fighters.

You are correct of course.

BAF needs way more than 16 4+ gen fighters.

What this discussion proves is that BD has the financial ability to neutralise IAF.

Say BAF had 2 squadrons of Euro-fighters and 4 squadrons of J-10CE, that would be ample firepower to handle whatever India dare use against BD.

What this discussion proves is that BD has the financial ability to neutralise IAF.

Say BAF had 2 squadrons of Euro-fighters and 4 squadrons of J-10CE, that would be ample firepower to handle whatever India dare use against BD.

I think Bangladesh is more capable financially clearly.

But we are still a poor country.

And to even think about matching India is foolish.

But we can certainly attain a capability to make India think twice.

AND ESPECIALLY SO if we are closer with Pakistan in this regard.

I think Bangladesh is more capable financially clearly.

But we are still a poor country.

And to even think about matching India is foolish.

But we can certainly attain a capability to make India think twice.

AND ESPECIALLY SO if we are closer with Pakistan in this regard.

No need to match India, BAF only needs enough fighters to take on whatever India dare use against BD.
That is what I meant by "neutralising" India.

I think 100 Eurofighters/J-10CEs are enough. BD has no real need to become closer to Pakistan because the simple reason that a hostile Pakistan/China exists means that at least 2/3rds of IAF cannot be used against BD in any conflict.

As an example in Gulf War 1, US deployed 1800 combat aircraft against Iraq. At the time they had around 5000 combat aircraft in total and so 36% of their total force - they would have brought more but these were not required.

Eh no, India would ofc use all its strength possible to overwhelm bd’s strength but doing so will result in a long drawn out conflict. Not the short, decisive battles that India can actually sustain, like the ones from last year. No country wants to go all out nowadays when they have so much to lose on economic terms

Bangladesh is not getting j10 that’s for sure. We would have had it already after maritime strike platform got delayed

Bangladesh is not getting j10 that’s for sure. We would have had it already after maritime strike platform got delayed

How you know about J-10 as BAF only sees IAF as real threat?

BAF will end up with Western/Chinese mix for strategic reasons in my opinion.

J-10CE with AESA radar and PL-15 will be comparable to Rafale with Meteor at much lesser cost to buy the planes and missiles. Over the lifetime it may not be all that much cheaper due to more frequent replacement of the Chinese WS-10B engine but it is good enough to handle any plane in IAF inventory and rock solid supplier in China.

Just roll the dice and go full Western for now. Can not get worse than the current state of affairs where Burma has a superior air force.
BAF can induct non-Western platforms later on if the West stop supplying.

Last edited:
Just roll the dice and go full Western for now. Can not get worse than the current state of affairs where Burma has a superior air force.
BAF can induct non-Western platform later if Western stop.

BD can buy both Western and Chinese in small numbers simultaneously.
Any fighter aircraft purchases will be spread out over many years and this can be brought on credit.

BD can buy both Western and Chinese in small numbers simultaneously.
Any fighter aircraft purchases will be spread out over many years and this can be brought on credit.

I really want BAF to move on from unproven, substandard, stolen-IP trash cans and embrace quality. The mindset shift is important both technologically and culturally.
Aligning with the West will help a great deal in transforming Bangladeshi culture towards innovation, knowledge, openness and progress and erode away at third world tendencies like bickering, superstitiousness, dishonesty
and intolerance. Building strategic rapport with the West by adopting Western military platforms is a good way to start building confidence which will lead to collaboration in other areas.

Last edited:
I really want BAF to move on from unproven, substandard, stolen-IP trash cans and embrace quality. The mindset shift is important both technologically and culturally.
Aligning with the West will help a great deal in transforming Bangladeshi culture towards innovation, knowledge, openness and progress and erode away at third world tendencies like bickering, superstitiousness, dishonesty
and intolerance. Building strategic rapport with the West by adopting Western military platforms is a good way to start building confidence which will lead to collaboration in other areas.

Do you how technologically and economically powerful China will be by 2030?

I repeat that BD needs both Western and Chinese arms for strategic reasons.

Back
Top Bottom