What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

The language being used here from both BD & Pakistani members is despicable and uncalled for.

Anyway, my 2 cents are that BD doesn't need a powerful aircraft, it needs a quantitatively qualitative Air Force. Advance jets such as EFT or Su-30/35 would only come in a handful of numbers. Another "8" aircraft won't do. BAF at least requires ~30 new jets alongside airborne early warning system (at least one). Also, don't think India, think Myanmar for now.
BD can buy 60 J-10s of 15 billion if they set aside some money for AF instead of investing so much in Navy, and Army(both important). JF-17s are cheaper, but political disagreements and 50 year old sourness with Pakistan are limiting this deal.
thrtjhyjj.jpg

AWACS would be KJ-500 which can cover all of BD(flying near Dhaka) and include a lot of MM, and, India. This would be used against MM, or more likely against India's Su-30MKIs, Rafales, Mig-29s, Tejas, etc by sending J-10s to exact locations.
upload_2019-9-27_17-21-26-png.581487

KJ-500_%28cropped%29.jpg

As I said before, an alliance with BD, PK, and CN would be fatal for India if BD could establish a respectable air force. India having to fight a 3 front war will make their army, navy, and air force have to be spread very, very thin to fight all of these armies at the same time.

A war with Myanmar will probably cause China to sanction J-10s but a conflict will be short either way and I doubt Chinese sanctions would have a major effect unless it was a full blown war and lasted more than a few months. I think BD should hurry up and GLCMs for use against Myanmar's bases, and strategic targets and use layered SAMs around Cox's Bazar against stragglers than survived saturation attack of cruise missiles.

As I said before, an alliance with BD, PK, and CN would be fatal for India if BD could establish a respectable air force. India having to fight a 3 front war will make their army, navy, and air force have to be spread very, very thin to fight all of these armies at the same time.
I have been saying the same thing for quite some time. But seems like many of our Pakistani brothers here would rather fight India alone rather than allying themselves with us.
Also, I don't think 60 J-10s would cost 15 billion.Because that'd make it about as expensive as Rafale, perhaps more.

I have been saying the same thing for quite some time. But seems like many of our Pakistani brothers here would rather fight India alone rather than allying themselves with us.
Also, I don't think 60 J-10s would cost 15 billion.Because that'd make it about as expensive as Rafale, perhaps more.
Kuwait payed 9 billion for 28 EFTs so I was going off a similar cost to that..
J-10 is supposedly 41 million USD per plane, which adds up to 2.46 billion dollars but you have to add in spare parts, facilities, weapons, etc which adds up to maybe 5-6 billion?

Last edited:

So its apparent, that BJP India is two faced.

It presents itself one way for the world but the reality is quite different.

You can be sure it is no friend of Bangladesh.

So now the question is for Bangladesh which is the bigger threat, India or Myanmar?

Unfortunately, the politics are convoluted which makes the choice of sourcing the equipment complicated as well.

Realistically, any of the types in question would bring their own sets of pros and cons and we at home don't have the knowledge or access to critical information to make the tactical determination as which choice is best.

I tend to agree with @SABRE.

BAF needs quantitative qualitative.

8 of a type isn't gonna cut it.

It needs 4+ gen in numbers.

And it needs to actually develop a war fighting capability, not just fly these planes in straight lines from Dhaka to Chittagong and back.

Last edited:
Kuwait payed 9 billion for 28 EFTs so I was going off a similar cost to that..
J-10 is supposedly 41 million USD per plane, which adds up to 2.46 billion dollars but you have to add in spare parts, facilities, weapons, etc which adds up to maybe 5-6 billion?

Think cheaper. This site says J-10 export price is 41 million.That'd make it less than 2.5 billion for 60 jets.With training, spares, weapons it might be around 4 billion.

Think cheaper. This site says J-10 export price is 41 million.That'd make it less than 2.5 billion for 60 jets.With training, spares, weapons it might be around 4 billion.

I think BAF needs to field AT LEAST 5 squadrons right?

Since the plan is to have 5 full air bases.

It has 2.5 squadrons at present.

With each squadron being 16 at present at full strength.

So lets say we keep the F-7 in service.

Replace the Mig-29.

We need 3 full squadrons of fighters or about 48 aircraft.

Replace the Mig-29.

Too bad BD won't be buying FC-1. This would be the perfect aircraft for replacing F-7s.

Too bad BD won't be buying FC-1. This would be the perfect aircraft for replacing F-7s.

Yea I agree to some extent.

But it is what it is.

Right now, my hope for BAF is that they make the correct political choice in regards to future threats from Myanmar in the short to medium term and India in the longer one.

And also develop its human capital and infrastructure which takes time to do.

I want BAF to be able to fight a war if need be on a high level.

And that is IMO, a HUGE undertaking from its present level.

Dude, FC-1 is pointless as it cannot compete equally with Rafale.
J-10C is more a peer of Rafale.

You are missing out on the geopolitical realities.

Dude, FC-1 is pointless as it cannot compete equally with Rafale.
J-10C is more a peer of Rafale.

You are missing out on the geopolitical realities.
JF-17 Block III can compete against Su-30 MKIs, Tejas, Mig-29s, Mig-21 etc that would be overkill for J-10C. AESA is a game changer in A2A combat.
I know the geopolitical reasons because of sour relations almost 50 years since 1971.

JF-17 Block III can compete against Su-30 MKIs, Tejas, Mig-29s, Mig-21 etc that would be overkill for J-10C.
I know the geopolitical reasons because of sour relations almost 50 years since 1971.

Realistically, at present I doubt PK would be interested in selling Block 3 and BD isn't keen on sourcing anything from PK.

Not to mention India would lose their Sh#t if BD went to Block 3 over Tejas.

LOL.

Also, there are other options available to BAF.

So, yea I don't see that happening.

Realistically, at present I doubt PK would be interested in selling Block 3 and BD isn't keen on sourcing anything from PK.

Not to mention India would lose their Sh#t if BD went to Block 3 over Tejas.

LOL.

Also, there are other options available to BAF.

So, yea I don't see that happening.

BD would not buy JF-17 Block 3 and so Pakistan not selling is moot.
Pakistan would never turn down an order for many squadrons of the fighter that would bring in billions in revenue and act as a major marketing sale for the plane.
Even JF-17 Block 3 is pointless as BD needs one Chinese fighter that can deal with Indian Rafale and that can only be J-10C, and one Western fighter to take care of Myanmar. No Western fighter can be reliable against India due to geopolitics.

BD would not buy JF-17 Block 3 and so Pakistan not selling is moot.
Pakistan would never turn down an order for many squadrons of the fighter that would bring in billions in revenue and act as a major marketing sale for the plane.
Even JF-17 Block 3 is pointless as BD needs one Chinese fighter that can deal with Indian Rafale and that can only be J-10C, and one Western fighter to take care of Myanmar. No Western fighter can be reliable against India due to geopolitics.

Whats the bigger threat to you India or Myanmar?

Whats the bigger threat to you India or Myanmar?

India in the long run and Myanmar in the short to medium term.
In 10 years time no one in BD would take Myanmar seriously with an economy 5 times as large and hopefully far more powerful military.

Replace the Mig-29.

Right.
However,F7s are going to be virtually obsolete in a few years with Mig-29s soon to follow.
We must take them out of equation.
48 jets might be enough for Myanmar. But certainly not India. For that, a layered SAM network as @Philip the Arab has suggested, along with at least 5 squadron of 4th generation aircrafts are needed.

Back
Top Bottom