What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

BD would not buy JF-17 Block 3 and so Pakistan not selling is moot.
Pakistan would never turn down an order for many squadrons of the fighter that would bring in billions in revenue and act as a major marketing sale for the plane.
Even JF-17 Block 3 is pointless as BD needs one Chinese fighter that can deal with Indian Rafale and that can only be J-10C, and one Western fighter to take care of Myanmar. No Western fighter can be reliable against India due to geopolitics.
It doesn't need a fighter against MM... Saturation attacks of hundreds of GLCMs against MMs airbases in Sittwe would disable their ability to scramble fighters against BD and their other air bases are much to far away to even reach within 50-100 KMs of BD. No clue who they could buy GLCMs from besides China but regardless it would be hard to sanction something like a missile. YAK-130s, F-7s, Mig-29s would be unrestricted by A2A fighters to go on sorties inside MM.

It doesn't need a fighter against MM... Saturation attacks of hundreds of GLCMs against MMs airbases in Sittwe would disable their ability to scramble fighters against BD and their other air bases are much to far away to even reach within 50-100 KMs of BD. No clue who they could buy GLCMs from besides China but regardless it would be hard to sanction something like a missile.

Does BD has any LIFT jets???

Right.
However,F7s are going to be virtually obsolete in a few years with Mig-29s soon to follow.
We must take them out of equation.
48 jets might be enough for Myanmar. But certainly not India. For that, a layered SAM network as @Philip the Arab has suggested, along with at least 5 squadron of 4th generation aircrafts are needed.

I would keep the F-7 in service for the foreseeable future.

Keep in mind they were introduced around 2006 and 2013.

The Mig-29 I would scrap.

However of course, it depends on what BAF ends up buying.

If they go Chinese or Western then the above holds true.

Different story if they go Russian.

I would focus on building strength with new fighters IN ADDITION to the existing ones.

I would not use the new fighters to replace what we are flying at first.

Keep in mind its gonna take time to build up force levels with new aircraft.

It doesn't need a fighter against MM... Saturation attacks of hundreds of GLCMs against MMs airbases in Sittwe would disable their ability to scramble fighters against BD and their other air bases are much to far away to even reach within 50-100 KMs of BD. No clue who they could buy GLCMs from besides China but regardless it would be hard to sanction something like a missile. YAK-130s, F-7s, Mig-29s would be unrestricted by A2A fighters to go on sorties inside MM.

I think you are overestimating the efficiency of missiles.
Myanmar would house planes in hardened shelters and can always fly in planes from far away bases to cover losses. SAM's can only do so much.
BD needs 2-3 squadrons of a Western fighter to deal with Myanmar. Gripen E with Global Eye AWACs is my preference.

Myanmar would house planes in hardened shelters and can always fly in planes from far away bases to cover losses. SAM's can only do so much.
BD needs 2-3 squadrons of a Western fighter to deal with Myanmar. Gripen E with Global Eye AWACs is my preference.

There is no substitute at present for a capable manned fighter force.

Off topic, this will probably be addressed (Hollywood shtyle) in the upcoming Top Gun sequel.

There is no substitute at present for a capable manned fighter force.

Off topic, this will probably be addressed (Hollywood shtyle) in the upcoming Top Gun sequel.
Iran has BMs and CMs in place of its aging air force.

A Western fighter like Gripen is prone to sanctions from the US who supplies the engine, and other parts. India buys Apaches, and other weapons from the US.
Cruise missiles destroyed most Iraqi fighters back in 90 and 03, they can be very useful especially if a long range (750 KM) one can be bought which can reach all or most of MMs strategic targets.

I would keep the F-7 in service for the foreseeable future.

Keep in mind they were introduced around 2006 and 2013.
They're not that old of course.BGI is practically new.
However, their problem lies in their weaponry & range.None of them are BVR capable AFAIK. In a war with India or Myanmar, they'll be sitting ducks. IAF & MAF will be able to shoot them down before the F7 pilot can even see them.

Why not upgrade them to latest standard and purchase few more units?

That depends on what the new fighter/fighters will be.

IF BAF goes Mig-35 or Su-30/35 then yea, it makes sense to upgrade the current 8 and perhaps buy some mroe to get up a full squadron at minimal cost.

But if BAF goes J-10 then I would scrap the Mig-29 and shed myself of the Russian spares chain.

The F-7 I would keep for now as they are relatively new and capable analogous to the -PG in PAF service.

They're not that old of course.BGI is practically new.
However, their problem lies in their weaponry & range.None of them are BVR capable AFAIK. In a war with India or Myanmar, they'll be sitting ducks. IAF & MAF will be able to shoot them down before the F7 pilot can even see them.
That's why JF-17 would be the best option... It's 700 KG heavier than YAK-130 with a much, much, more robust set of weaponry than F-7. BD can try negotiating with CN as middleman and letting CN negotiate with PK to say they bought it from China and just calling it FC-1 everywhere on media, statements, social media, etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom