What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

Yup.

And to be honest actual hot conflict with India is REMOTE.

And if it ever does come to that, no fighter will make a difference.

BD is toast.

But for deterrence purposes, yes a strong BAF is needed.

To at least hurt them if they ever try or more likely try to intimidate.

J-10 is the clear option in regards to India.

But that exposes you to China's interests in regards to Myanmar.

Do you see the dilemma?
Yes, I do see the dilemma. If BD got J-10s then it would take at least a few months at which point they would barely be able to get off the ground. A conflict with MM will never last that long and will likely be like Kargil war in terms of intensity. I disagree that BD is toast if they can invest in GLCMs, long range MLRS, and precision weapons that can be used against Indian army, air, and naval bases right when a conflict starts thus cutting their ability to do anything for a while and allowing BD's J-10s to do a lot of damage to India and make victory difficult.
AFAIK in the beginning some here some there. While with time all the production move to PAC.
@Dazzler
Can't BD just tell China they want a lot of planes and produce them all at CAC? That would allow PAC to produce Block 3s at the same time for PAF while CAC is producing Block 3s for BAF.

To use missiles like PL-12, you'd need to change the radar of the jet I think.Not sure it'll be possible with BGIs.
  • F-7 BGI has KLJ-6F radar Fire control Radar with 86 km+ Range which is near BVR or BVR considering what is the silver lining between them and can track 6 and engage 2 enemy aircraft simultaneously.)
  • Missiles procurement are currently unknown for F-7 BGI but they can fire the 70–75 km range PL-12,PL-11 and also PL-2, PL-5, PL-7, PL-8, PL-9, Magic R.550 and AIM-9 .

Yes, I do see the dilemma. If BD got J-10s then it would take at least a few months at which point they would barely be able to get off the ground. A conflict with MM will never last that long and will likely be like Kargil war in terms of intensity. I disagree that BD is toast if they can invest in GLCMs, long range MLRS, and precision weapons that can be used against Indian army, air, and naval bases right when a conflict starts thus cutting their ability to do anything for a while and allowing BD's J-10s to do a lot of damage to India and make victory difficult.

Can't BD just tell China they want a lot of planes and produce them all at CAC? That would allow PAC to produce Block 3s at the same time for PAF CAC is producing Block 3s for BAF.

• F-7 BGI has KLJ-6F radar Fire control Radar with 86 km+ Range which is near BVR or BVR considering what is the silver lining between them and can track 6 and engage 2 enemy aircraft simultaneously.)
  • Missiles procurement are currently unknown for F-7 BGI but they can fire the 70–75 km range PL-12,PL-11 and also PL-2, PL-5, PL-7, PL-8, PL-9, Magic R.550 and AIM-9 .

No SD-10 in BAF inventory.

Also, I have never seen an SD-10 on an F-7.

I have however seen an SD-10 near a Myanmar JF-17.

upload_2019-9-28_13-17-0.png

Something to think about BAF!

Hurry up and get something!

Last edited:

Can't BD just tell China they want a lot of planes and produce them all at CAC? That would allow PAC to produce Block 3s at the same time for PAF CAC is producing Block 3s for BAF.

That's news for me.If our BGIs are really capable of firing PL-12, I'll be delighted & vote to keep them in active service till 2030.

Can't BD just tell China they won't a lot of planes and produce them all at CAC? That would allow PAC to produce Block 3s at the same time for PAF CAC is producing Block 3s for BAF.

Yes it can happen. Block 2s are being overhauled by both CAC and PAC currently at the same time. Some parts of jets sold to Myanmar were build in PAC while assembly took place in CAC.

Regarding procurement my 2 cents:

The most beneficial route for BAF will be J-10 and JF-17. J-10 will provide top notch radars and more payload while JF-17 can work as LIFT and also as a light weight fighter with similar weapon inventory to J-10. If they go for western platform it will cause trouble in syncing Chinese AD and western jets and they will have same problem as India as they shot down their own chopper during the middle of a conflict.

And to all those saying that JF-17s secret will be released to India. There is no secret in Jf-17 that India doesn't know. The only thing important in it will the radar, EW and weapons and all these belong to China. So Bangladesh wouldn't do it.

No SD-10 in the pic.

Doubt L-15 can mount it.

Also L-15 is basically the same role at Yak-130.

Edit: Nevermind, I see the second pic.
This could work, but will probably take a good amount of time and be less battle tested than JF-17.

Yes it can happen. Block 2s are being overhauled by both CAC and PAC currently at the same time. Some parts of jets sold to Myanmar were build in PAC while assembly took place in CAC.

Regarding procurement my 2 cents:

The most beneficial route for BAF will be J-10 and JF-17. J-10 will provide top notch radars and more payload while JF-17 can work as LIFT and also as a light weight fighter with similar weapon inventory to J-10. If they go for western platform it will cause trouble in syncing Chinese AD and western jets and they will have same problem as India as they shot down their own chopper during the middle of a conflict.

And to all those saying that JF-17s secret will be released to India. There is no secret in Jf-17 that India doesn't know. The only thing important in it will the radar, EW and weapons and all these belong to China. So Bangladesh wouldn't do it.
Problem with getting both J-10 & JF-17 is that China might stop supplying spares & ammunition in case of war against Myanmar.
Pakistan should indigenize every single parts of Thunder including the radar,softwares,EW & weapons.

Problem with getting both J-10 & JF-17 is that China might stop supplying spares & ammunition in case of war against Myanmar.
Pakistan should indigenize every single parts of Thunder including the radar,softwares,EW & weapons.
A war with Myanmar will be a skirmish, it will last at most three-four months and it would take time for J-10s, and JF-17s to not be usable where the conflict would have ended. Relations with China would patch up and it would be best if BD could take out MMs aircraft and move their capabilities 10-15 years back.

No SD-10 in the pic.

Doubt L-15 can mount it.

Also L-15 is basically the same role at Yak-130.

Edit: Nevermind, I see the second pic.
IMO, L-15B would have been a way better purchase than YAK-130... SD-10s with good radar are game changers and can take on most of IAF, and BAF aircraft.

A war with Myanmar will be a skirmish, it will last at most three-four months and it would take time for J-10s, and JF-17s to not be usable where the conflict would have ended. Relations with China would patch up and it would be best if BD could take out MMs aircraft and move their capabilities 10-15 years back.

Not sure about that.

But anyways, you can see the political complexities of this choice.

There is no clear path.

Perhaps that is the reason for the delay.

The Rohingya situation changed the political equation of the previous plan's of BAF.

They were probably gonna go for Russian (i.e. Yak-130 prior to Flankers) and Chinese aircraft and may still do so.

But it gave them pause to think about things.

Not sure about that.

But anyways, you can see the political complexities of this choice.

There is no clear path.

Perhaps that is the reason for the delay.

The Rohingya situation changed the political equation of the previous plan's of BAF.

They were probably gonna go for Russian (i.e. Yak-130 prior to Flankers) and Chinese aircraft and may still do so.

But it gave them pause to think about things.
Ok, L-15Bs with J-10s would be a great combo for use against India and Myanmar. L-15 performs similar role to JF-17, and J-10 performs air superiority role. L-15Bs, and J-10s are more than enough for a short conflict with MM which it will be, and not a full blown war. MM has old Mig-29s, old Q-7s, and, old F-7s that can't compete with J-10s or L-15Bs and would be dispatched relatively quickly. Chinese sanctions will take at least a few months to kick in at which point the conflict will be over. Intl community will negotiate and peace treaty will be signed.

Bottom part isn't for you specifically

The modern cockpit is covered by a large glass canopy and offers space, comfort and superior all-round field of vision for the pilots. The aircraft is also equipped with a three-axis digital fly-by wire system, which allows the pilots to simulate the flight characteristics of some of the most modern fighter jets.

The extended nose section of L-15B differentiates it from the L-15 trainer. The nose section houses a passive electronically scanned array (PESA) radar. The X-band PESA radar can guide air-to-air and air-to-ground missiles to a maximum range of 111km.

The trainer integrates a radar warning receiver (RWR) on the vertical stabiliser. The nose also features fin antennae for an identification friend or foe (IFF) system. The L-15B can also be equipped with dedicated electronic warfare jamming pods.

The advanced avionics aboard the JL-15B ensure the student pilots to handle the complex digital cockpits on modern Chinese fighters.

The aircraft can carry a weapon load of 3,500kg across nine hard-points. Each wing holds three hard-points, while each wing tip accommodates a single hard-point. The under-fuselage of the aircraft also holds a hard-point for weapons carriage.

The L-15B can be armed with a range of weapon systems such as the PL-10 infrared-homing, short-range, air-to-air missiles, PL-12 active, radar-guided, beyond visual-range, air-to-air missiles, and PL-8 infrared-guided, short-range, air-to-air missiles, as well as LT-2 laser and LS-6 precision-guided bombs.

The L-15B combat trainer is powered by two Ivchenko Progress AI-222-25F turbofan engines with afterburner. The engines are equipped with a full-authority digital engine control (FADEC) system.

The power-plant provides a maximum speed of Mach 1.4 and an operational range of 2,600km, which can be further extended with the integration of fuel drop tanks.

Ok, L-15Bs with J-10s would be a great combo for use against India and Myanmar. L-15 performs similar role to JF-17, and J-10 performs air superiority role. L-15Bs, and J-10s are more than enough for a short conflict with MM which it will be, and not a full blown war. MM has old Mig-29s, old Q-7s, and, old F-7s that can't compete with J-10s or L-15Bs and would be dispatched relatively quickly. Chinese sanctions will take at least a few months to kick in at which point the conflict will be over.

Bottom part isn't for you specifically

The modern cockpit is covered by a large glass canopy and offers space, comfort and superior all-round field of vision for the pilots. The aircraft is also equipped with a three-axis digital fly-by wire system, which allows the pilots to simulate the flight characteristics of some of the most modern fighter jets.

The extended nose section of L-15B differentiates it from the L-15 trainer. The nose section houses a passive electronically scanned array (PESA) radar. The X-band PESA radar can guide air-to-air and air-to-ground missiles to a maximum range of 111km.

The trainer integrates a radar warning receiver (RWR) on the vertical stabiliser. The nose also features fin antennae for an identification friend or foe (IFF) system. The L-15B can also be equipped with dedicated electronic warfare jamming pods.

The advanced avionics aboard the JL-15B ensure the student pilots to handle the complex digital cockpits on modern Chinese fighters.

The aircraft can carry a weapon load of 3,500kg across nine hard-points. Each wing holds three hard-points, while each wing tip accommodates a single hard-point. The under-fuselage of the aircraft also holds a hard-point for weapons carriage.

The L-15B can be armed with a range of weapon systems such as the PL-10 infrared-homing, short-range, air-to-air missiles, PL-12 active, radar-guided, beyond visual-range, air-to-air missiles, and PL-8 infrared-guided, short-range, air-to-air missiles, as well as LT-2 laser and LS-6 precision-guided bombs.

The L-15B combat trainer is powered by two Ivchenko Progress AI-222-25F turbofan engines with afterburner. The engines are equipped with a full-authority digital engine control (FADEC) system.

The power-plant provides a maximum speed of Mach 1.4 and an operational range of 2,600km, which can be further extended with the integration of fuel drop tanks.

If my main short term threat is backed by the people I am buying weapons from, I can't make those assumptions regarding how they will behave and give them the benefit of the doubt.

I have to assume their worst.

And that means a non-Chinese platform.

That is for Myanmar.

For India, this is a more remote possibility and any acquisition would be to build a longer term capability for mainly deterrence purposes.

The problem is Russians will sell to anyone with money and for some reason they seem to be giving Myanmar cheaper prices.

And Western fighters are so expensive.

If my main short term threat is backed by the people I am buying weapons from, I can't make those assumptions regarding how they will behave and given them the benefit of the doubt.

I have to assume their worst.

And that means a non-Chinese platform.

That is for Myanmar.

For India, this is a more remote possibility and any acquisition would be to build a longer term capability for mainly deterrence purposes.

The problem is Russians will sell to anyone with money and for some reason they seem to be giving Myanmar cheaper prices.

And Western fighters are so expensive.
I think buying 8 more Mig-29s from Russia in an updated form (8 SMTs and upgrading 8 in service) would be more than enough for a small conflict with Myanmar. Investing in cruise missiles, and long range MLRS would be useful for taking out airbases from far away bases and allowing Mig-29SMTs to take out stragglers, and take out army formations, etc without having to deal with enemy combatants.

Realistically you only need to cover the border areas with MM with SAMs because MAF would never risk overflying India in a conflict and being shot down by IAF.
bangladesh-map.gif

Last edited:

Can't BD just tell China they want a lot of planes and produce them all at CAC? That would allow PAC to produce Block 3s at the same time for PAF while CAC is producing Block 3s for BAF.

Making things up out of thin air. Klj6/ sy80 doesn't offer bvr engagement about 50km.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom