What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

Making things up out of thin air. Klj6/ sy80 doesn't offer but engagement about 50km.
I didn't make that up... It's on Wikipedia but I will go check sources.

I guess you are right. It should still be able to fire PL-12 though.

2d0ig75.jpg

Last edited:
That will limit Gripen too much... You would have a fighter for no reason. I even think EFT may be prone to US sanctions and not suppling certain parts that may be vital.

Why you say so?

BAF will always need a fighter that can deal with the 50+ or so 4/4+ generation planes that Myanmar will have.

Even 2 squadrons(36) of Gripen Es with 2 Global Eyes is sufficient to deal with the threat. BD has a 320 billion US dollar economy growing at more than 8% a year(and expected to stay this way till 2030) and could reasonably afford the 6-7 billion US dollar cost of this.

A larger amount(8 squadrons) of the cheaper J-10Cs with 4 KJ-500s will provide ample deterrence against India. I guess the cost of 8 squadrons of J-10Cs with the KJ-500s will come to some 15-16 billion US dollars. The cost will be spread out between now and up to around 2035(when the last fighters are paid for) and so should be affordable.

@Avicenna - Correction as BD official defence budget is 4 billion US dollars a year but this does not include arms acquisitions from abroad and so we are looking at around 4.5 billion US dollars a year in total. Remember BD defence budget is keeping in line with GDP growth and so growing at 7-8% a year in real terms.

@Umair Nawaz

I agree in the sense that Bangladesh certainly has an ever increasing financial capacity to procure more weapons.

The economy IS doing well.

I personally haven't been in Bangladesh in over 20 years but my friends and family tell me how its apparent that there is new money.

And the public news media seem to be corroborating this with numbers of GDP and general praise.

And it is well known BD spends about 1.2 percent on its defense. (Far less than what is average in South Asia)

So yea, if BD wanted too, at this point it could afford FAR more than it is doing.

This was not the case 10 years ago.

And if things go according to projections, apparently, things will continue until 2030 as @UKBengali has stated.

So the thoughts that BD is poor or can't afford to buy a sizable number of 4+ gen fighters in the present time is likely incorrect.

Why you say so?

BAF will always need a fighter that can deal with the 50+ or so 4/4+ generation planes that Myanmar will have.

Even 2 squadrons(36) of Gripen Es with 2 Global Eyes is sufficient to deal with the threat. BD has a 320 billion US dollar economy growing at more than 8% a year(and expected to stay this way till 2030) and could reasonably afford the 6-7 billion US dollar cost of this.

A larger amount(8 squadrons) of the cheaper J-10Cs with 4 KJ-500s will provide ample deterrence against India. I guess the cost of 8 squadrons of J-10Cs with the KJ-500s will come to some 15-16 billion US dollars. The cost will be spread out between now and up to around 2035(when the last fighters are paid for) and so should be affordable.

@Avicenna - Correction as BD official defence budget is 4 billion US dollars a year but this does not include arms acquisitions from abroad and so we are looking at around 4.5 billion US dollars a year in total. Remember BD defence budget is keeping in line with GDP growth and so growing at 7-8% a year in real terms.
I will start with your part about aircraft in Myanmar service...

MiG-29 Russia multirole SE/SM/UB -31 but ten B variants used for training
Su-30SME -6 on order
Attack A-5 -21
F-7M -21 licensed built MiG-21
F-6- 1
JF-17 Thunder China / Pakistan multirole 6+10 on order

Ok, so that is 21 MiG-29s, 6 Su-30SMEs, and 16 JF-17s which adds up to 43 fighters with 4+ generation capabilities. The fighters will be spread out throughout MM so I don't think a majority of them will be a threat early in the war considering only 1 base can reach BD and that is in Sittwe. I expect at most 20 4+ fighters in Sittwe that are within striking distance of BD, and other fighters too far to make a impact until a few weeks.

36 Gripen-E is a good idea for BD right now I agree and I agree that price would probably be 5 to 6 billion USD. Those fighters could also be used against India for at least a few months before sanctions take effect depending on spare parts, and weapons in BAF service. Meteor would be a must have as well as cruise missiles, and PGMs. I also agree that GlobalEye could be bought in 1-2 units for a billion USD or so.

1200px-Saab_JAS_39_Gripen_at_Kaivopuisto_Air_Show%2C_June_2017_%28altered%29_copy.jpg

I agree with your J-10 statement in full... 144 fighters or so would put BD in top 10 air force or so. I do think a regional alliance with Pakistan and China should be made with the sourness with Pakistan forgotten about.

avcnft_01.jpg

I will start with your part about aircraft in Myanmar service...

MiG-29 Russia multirole SE/SM/UB -31 but ten B variants used for training
Su-30SME -6 on order
Attack A-5 -21
F-7M -21 licensed built MiG-21
F-6- 1
JF-17 Thunder China / Pakistan multirole 6+10 on order

Ok, so that is 21 MiG-29s, 6 Su-30SMEs, and 16 JF-17s which adds up to 43 fighters with 4+ generation capabilities. The fighters will be spread out throughout MM so I don't think a majority of them will be a threat early in the war considering only 1 base can reach BD and that is in Sittwe. I expect at most 20 4+ fighters in Sittwe that are within striking distance of BD, and other fighters too far to make a impact until a few weeks.

36 Gripen-E is a good idea for BD right now I agree and I agree that price would probably be 5 to 6 billion USD. Those fighters could also be used against India for at least a few months before sanctions take effect depending on spare parts, and weapons in BAF service. Meteor would be a must have as well as cruise missiles, and PGMs. I also agree that GlobalEye could be bought in 1-2 units for a billion USD or so.

1200px-Saab_JAS_39_Gripen_at_Kaivopuisto_Air_Show%2C_June_2017_%28altered%29_copy.jpg

I agree with your J-10 statement in full... 144 fighters or so would put BD in top 10 air force or so. I do think a regional alliance with Pakistan and China should be made with the sourness with Pakistan forgotten about.

avcnft_01.jpg

Agree with your analysis.

I tell you the most important thing that has to happen is the realization that India is a threat.

And Bangladesh and Pakistan on either side of India is a problem for them.

I know that they know this and thus have embarked to neuter Bangladesh by non military means.

The current politicians in BD have allowed this to happen, at least apparently.

But keep in mind in the past, there were governments in BD that were closer to Pakistan and this may be the case again in the future.

For now, its my hope, that the BD armed forces build its capability to meet the challenges coming from Myanmar first.

it would probably be because Myanmar did something of an aggressive nature and BD HAD to respond.

whether that’s rohingya related or off shore EEZ related who knows.
BD is in no condition to respond for at least a few years. Agree? They should be ready by 2030 though I digress.

Also, is FM-90 a good system for shooting down MMs aircraft?

Last edited:
BD is in no condition to respond for at least a few years. Agree? They should be ready by 2030 though I digress.

Also, is FM-90 a good system for shooting down MMs aircraft?

IMO BD is woefully unprepared for a confrontation with Myanmar.

Others here may disagree.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom