What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

Myanmar will NEVER have the capability to enforce a blockade on BD.

It's economy is 4.5x smaller than BD and is getting smaller relative each year as BD grows quicker. Their Navy is a joke compared to BN and will become even more in the future as the next gen frigates start rolling out early next decade.

What is currently a threat is their airforce but just 1-2 squadrons of Western fighters will take care of MAF.
I would not call their Navy a joke at this moment although before they had one of the weakest navy in Asia. Their naval capabilities will increase once they buy the LPD and kilo class submarines. BN should not become lousy and underestimate a militarily aggressive nation like Myanmar. We are not God and cannot predict the future. Anything can happen within the next 5 to 10 years.

I would not call their Navy a joke at this moment although before they had one of the weakest navy in Asia. Their naval capabilities will increase once they buy the LPD and kilo class submarines. BN should not become lousy and underestimate a militarily aggressive nation like Myanmar. We are not God and cannot predict the future. Anything can happen within the next 5 to 10 years.

BN will get relatively larger than them.

Nothing to worry about here.

Myanmar as of right now doesn't have the capability to enforce a blockade.However, that might change in the future.
Besides, India already has the ability.So my post was mainly focused on that. We must be prepared for any eventuality.
Many would deny it but the fact is, bangladesh’s Naval deference is being built with India in mind... not Burma.

On the other hand, we can certainly count on China to supply us with spares, missiles etc. in case of war against India while the European/US jets will be able to deter Myanmar.It's doubtful they'll take side of Myanmar in case of war against us.

I could not agree with this 100%. China will look after its own interest in getting very large oil resources using pipelines from Myanmar in Bay of Bengal shale-pelagic oil reserves. Helping or selling Bangladesh with a few aircraft/spares is not a large leverage against that. Plus they have and will invest in industrial installations in both Bangladesh and Myanmar. They will try to avoid/diffuse destabilizing conflict in-between either country. Brother @haidian your comments please...

India is too strong for us. Indian armed forces is a battle tested army. They fought wars against Pakistan, China, LTTE etc while Bangladesh army does not have actual combat experience although they fought CHT insurgency.

Glorifying India like it was a superpower is amusing. And Battle-tested is a misnomer because in every conflict they fought so far, they either got really lucky (1971 with Pakistan for example) or been given a really bad taste of their own medicine (1962 with China) when the Chinese Army called the shots and kept their territory in Ladakh. Please read up before commenting.

I have heard stories of Indian soldiers running away leaving their dirty weapons on the warfield in 1962 before Chinese soldiers cleaned them up and handed them back to India after the ceasefire. I have also heard my family members comment about Indian SU-7's and MiG-21's trying to bomb Dhaka's airfield (at treetop level) in 1971 and simply crashing in the process. Pakistani pilots put up a brave dogfight resistance with simple outdated F-86 sabres and downed many aggressor Indian jets. My folks saw these dogfights from their own rooftops. India boasts a lot, but remains to be seen how many of their weapons actually work during a conflict. Look at this well-planned Indian projectile execution, there are numerous more and I could go on.

The intent is not to match India weapon for weapon (not practical). It is to take enough measures on Bangladesh side to make them think hard tactically and strategically before they try any misadventure. That said, even actual skirmish or small confrontations with any branch of the Indian armed-forces is quite unlikely at this point in time. BGB/BSF skirmishes may flare up from time to time because of divvying smuggler loots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Indian_War

Instead we should build a military that'll be able to give India a bloody nose should they try any misadventure with us.

Exactly....

I could not agree with this 100%. China will look after its own interest in getting very large oil resources using pipelines from Myanmar in Bay of Bengal shale-pelagic oil reserves. Helping or selling Bangladesh with a few aircraft/spares is not a large leverage against that. Plus they have and will invest in industrial installations in both Bangladesh and Myanmar. They will try to avoid/diffuse destabilizing conflict in-between either country. Brother @haidian your comments please...

Glorifying India like it was a superpower is amusing. And Battle-tested is a misnomer because in every conflict they fought so far, they either got really lucky (1971 with Pakistan for example) or been given a really bad taste of their own medicine (1962 with China) when the Chinese Army called the shots and kept their territory in Ladakh. Please read up before commenting.

I have heard stories of Indian soldiers running away leaving their dirty weapons on the warfield in 1962 before Chinese soldiers cleaned them up and handed them back to India after the ceasefire. I have also heard my family members comment about Indian SU-7's and MiG-21's trying to bomb Dhaka's airfield (at treetop level) in 1971 and simply crashing in the process. Pakistani pilots put up a brave dogfight resistance with simple outdated F-86 sabres and downed many aggressor Indian jets. My folks saw these dogfights from their own rooftops. India boasts a lot, but remains to be seen how many of their weapons actually work during a conflict. Look at this well-planned Indian projectile execution, there are numerous more and I could go on.

The intent is not to match India weapon for weapon (not practical). It is to take enough measures on Bangladesh side to make them think hard tactically and strategically before they try any misadventure. That said, even actual skirmish or small confrontations with any branch of the Indian armed-forces is quite unlikely at this point in time. BGB/BSF skirmishes may flare up from time to time because of divvying smuggler loots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Indian_War

Exactly....
Bangladesh army is not Chinese army or Pakistan army. We cannot do what Pakistan or China can do with India, at least not currently. My opinion on India is based on any possible India- Bangladesh conflict.

Bangladesh army is not Chinese army or Pakistan army. We cannot do what Pakistan or China can do with India, at least not currently. My opinion on India is based on any possible India- Bangladesh conflict.
If your realm of discussion is nuclear warfare, ofc not... but Bangladesh army can play clean or dirty (guerrilla) depending on the scenarios and 180k guerrilla fighters is not a joke

Just buy a batch of the up coming JF17 Thunder block 3, and not only would you guys get decent planes for your buck, the biggest USP is the fact that since it's a Pakistani/Chinese origin this will give India psychological nightmares for at least a decade.

Just buy a batch of the up coming JF17 Thunder block 3, and not only would you guys get decent planes for your buck, the biggest USP is the fact that since it's a Pakistani/Chinese origin this will give India psychological nightmares for at least a decade.
Why would we buy JF-17 when we can afford American/European aircraft. JF-17 is for countries like North Korea and Myanmar

BAF should have a diversified air force. Relying solely on American jets won't help. For BAF, quantity and quality, both matters at this stage. BAF cannot buy too much of American products because they are expensive. Instead some Russian, some Chinese and some French, and some American jets will fulfill the demand of quality and quantity. American F 16, French Mirage 2000/mirage 5, Chinese Chengdu j10/JF 17, Russian su 30 will boost up BAF considerably. But I doubt the government will ever take such initiative of strengthening the air Force.

Those are your own words not mine..

JF-17 Block 3 could be a possible contender because it can use Chinese BVR, can carry AShM, AESA (I think?),certainty of spares in case of war & because they're one of the cheapest 4th generation fighters in the world, we'll be able to field them in huge numbers.As Stalin once said, "Quantity is a quality of it's own."
However, it has yet to enter into service with PAF.And after it enters service, it'll be a while before it can be exported as PAC will be busy with PAF orders.Besides, with current government, it'll be impossible for BAF to get them.

Huge national security risk now that y’all have sold our adversaries those

Huge national security risk now that y’all have sold our adversaries those

Not necessarily.

If BAF has Block 3 where MAF is limited to Block 2 you can have sort of a qualitative edge being preserved despite in theory flying the same type.

i.e F-16 in the Egypt Israel scenario.

Or for that matter the munitions neutered
F-16s that the Iraqi Air Force flies.

Not necessarily.

If BAF has Block 3 where MAF is limited to Block 2 you can have sort of a qualitative edge being preserved despite in theory flying the same type.

i.e F-16 in the Egypt Israel scenario.

Or for that matter the munitions neutered
F-16s that the Iraqi Air Force flies.
Given how far China is willing to go, I’m not really sure they won’t disclose weapon codes to compromise security... you don’t see the navy looking at alternative options for frigates

Back
Top Bottom