What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

bangladesh airforce section of pdf should be shut down untill BAF go for a actual fighter..goto 100 page e amra shudhu hudai pechal partesi..kine na baal da r amra eikhane talkshow khuila boshchhi.. :(:(

এইখানে বকবক কইরা মনটারে সান্ত্বনা দিই ভাই।যতদিন পর্যন্ত বাফের ঘুম না ভাঙে,আর কিছু তো করার নাই।

Russia jets a definite no due to US sanctions.

Best combo would be Gripen E from Sweden and J-10C from China. That would allow free reign to fight either Myanmar and India at a cost that BD can afford.

We'll need a double engine platform with maritime strike capability as well.Don't forget in case war with Myanmar & India, they'll probably try to block our access to the Bay of Bengal.While Gripen can use AShM, because of it's single engine, there remains a risk.

No. Russian weapons and better than Chinese weapons IMO
Yes I agree. But in case of war with Myanmar or India, Russia can't be counted on to take our side or stay neutral.In fact, it's highly likely that they will support Myanmar/India.Also, as @UKBengali vai said, sanctions are a problem too.I doubt US will grant us any waivers when they themselves are trying to get us buy their weapons.
On the other hand, we can certainly count on China to supply us with spares, missiles etc. in case of war against India while the European/US jets will be able to deter Myanmar.It's doubtful they'll take side of Myanmar in case of war against us.

Last edited:
We'll need a double engine platform with maritime strike capability as well.Don't forget in case war with Myanmar & India, they'll probably try to block our access to the Bay of Bengal.While Gripen can use AShM, because of it's single engine, there remains a risk.

Good point but Gripen E can carry anti-ship missile with 300km range. This will keep enemy ships far away from BD shores. Also it carries an extremely reliable US-derived engine that has never failed in more than 2 decades of service of more than 200 aircraft.

BN is also planning to procure no less than 8 next-gen frigates and modern submarines will also be coming.Myanmar is no threat, only India is. Gripen E + RBS-15 combo can work with these platforms to keep India from even thinking about trying a sea blockade of BD

Typhoon is just far too expensive and I would rather have say 2 squadrons(32) of Gripen E than 1 squadron(16) of Typhoon.

Good point but Gripen E can carry anti-ship missile with 300km range. This will keep enemy ships far away from BD shores. Also it carries an extremely reliable US-derived engine that has never failed in more than 2 decades of service of more than 200 aircraft.

BN is also planning to procure no less than 8 next-gen frigates and modern submarines will also be coming.Myanmar is no threat, only India is. Gripen E + RBS-15 combo can work with these platforms to keep India from even thinking about trying a sea blockade of BD

Typhoon is just far too expensive and I would rather have say 2 squadrons(32) of Gripen E than 1 squadron(16) of Typhoon.

All good points.Gripen is an excellent aircraft in it's class no doubt.But I think Typhoon with it's conformal fuel tanks, deep strike capability, higher service ceiling, slightly better radar, more hardpoints & payload etc. will still be a good choice for BAF.
Tbh I'll be happy with either. Both of them will give us qualitative edge over MAF & also act as a potent deterrent against IAF.But we need to get them soon.
Also, I believe the latest version of RBS-15 has a range of some 200 KM.

Myanmar doesn’t have that capability, their blockade capacity is limited, India could try enforce a blockade on us but not Myanmar
Also we could place a blockade but I’m sure ganjakhor politicians will not d slightly anything wrong to displease China

All good points.Gripen is an excellent aircraft in it's class no doubt.But I think Typhoon with it's conformal fuel tanks, deep strike capability, higher service ceiling, slightly better radar, more hardpoints & payload etc. will still be a good choice for BAF.
Tbh I'll be happy with either. Both of them will give us qualitative edge over MAF & also act as a potent deterrent against IAF.But we need to get them soon.
All I worry about is buying 8 aircrafts for the next 30 years... better not have an air force like that.

Bangladesh will never fight with India. That's a paranoid thinking. Bangladesh is more likely to fight a war against Myanmar in the near future if the rohingya issue gets too complicated.

Nope, Mark 4 version can hit targets at least 300km away.:cheers:

India is too strong for us. Indian armed forces is a battle tested army. They fought wars against Pakistan, China, LTTE etc while Bangladesh army does not have actual combat experience although they fought CHT insurgency.

India is 4th largest power with nuclear weapons. Their air force, navy, and army cannot be compared with Myanmar or Bangladesh. Indian army, Navy and air force beats both Myanmar and Bangladesh in terms of quality and quantity.

Of course Bangladesh armed forces can become a major armed forces, but we will severely be behind India for the next 10 15, years.

Myanmar doesn’t have that capability, their blockade capacity is limited, India could try enforce a blockade on us but not Myanmar
Also we could place a blockade but I’m sure ganjakhor politicians will not d slightly anything wrong to displease China
Myanmar as of right now doesn't have the capability to enforce a blockade.However, that might change in the future.
Besides, India already has the ability.So my post was mainly focused on that. We must be prepared for any eventuality.

Myanmar as of right now doesn't have the capability to enforce a blockade.However, that might change in the future.
Besides, India already has the ability.So my post was mainly focused on that. We must be prepared for any eventuality.

Myanmar will NEVER have the capability to enforce a blockade on BD.

It's economy is 4.5x smaller than BD and is getting smaller relative each year as BD grows quicker. Their Navy is a joke compared to BN and will become even more in the future as the next gen frigates start rolling out early next decade.

What is currently a threat is their airforce but just 1-2 squadrons of Western fighters will take care of MAF.

All I worry about is buying 8 aircrafts for the next 30 years... better not have an air force like that.
If that should be the case, then we're better off disbanding BAF, take the aircrafts under army aviation wing & instead go the Iran route & focus on building a potent missile arsenal.

Nope, Mark 4 version can hit targets at least 300km away.:cheers:

Then it'll be excellent if we can get them.Do you think we might be able to get them for our indigenous frigate program as well?
And will they fall under MTCR?

Last edited:
Then it'll be excellent if we can get them.Do you think we might be able to get them for our indigenous frigate program as well?
And will they fall under MTCR?

Ah, it may be denied as MTCR places a limit of 300km for missiles.

Anyway a lesser ranged version of say 250km will suffice.

BD needs to make a proposal to Sweden and they are likely to say yes as India has little sway as they do not buy much Swedish defence hardware.

India is too strong for us. Indian armed forces is a battle tested army. They fought wars against Pakistan, China, LTTE etc while Bangladesh army does not have actual combat experience although they fought CHT insurgency.

India is 4th largest power with nuclear weapons. Their air force, navy, and army cannot be compared with Myanmar or Bangladesh. Indian army, Navy and air force beats both Myanmar and Bangladesh in terms of quality and quantity.

Of course Bangladesh armed forces can become a major armed forces, but we will severely be behind India for the next 10 15, years.

The goal is not to match India for every piece of hardware they have.That's virtually impossible considering their size.Instead we should build a military that'll be able to give India a bloody nose should they try any misadventure with us.

The goal is not to match India for every piece of hardware they have.That's virtually impossible considering their size.Instead we should build a military that'll be able to give India a bloody nose should they try any misadventure with us.

A fully armed BD can severely Indian military in war that it will be left exposed to attack by Pakistan and China.

Bangladesh will never fight with India. That's a paranoid thinking. Bangladesh is more likely to fight a war against Myanmar in the near future if the rohingya issue gets too complicated.

Again.We must be prepared for any eventuality. Besides, sanghi government can't be trusted.

A fully armed BD can severely Indian military in war that it will be left exposed to attack by Pakistan and China.
Exactly! India can't focus all of their forces on BD as it'll have to maintain their forces on Pakistan & Chinese border too.
Frankly, the stupidity of the sanghis astound me.They already got their hands full with Pakistan & China.Yet they're still going to great lengths to turn BD hostile against them as well.

Again.We must be prepared for any eventuality. Besides, sanghi government can't be trusted.
We also need ballistic missiles. Bangladesh army badly needs SRBM. Iran's ballistic missiles are one of the reason which makes the nation formidable in it's neighbourhood.

Back
Top Bottom