What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

Gripens production line is not extensive.... pricing wise although lower i do not think 2nd generation is available anymore..... sweden kept production line open for a bit and i think they are geared up for 3rd generation....the swedish are not rich enough to have multiple production line open.... 3rd generation gripens are not too far from rafale in cost...

Any how I would fully support BD going british to build up BAF.... given colonial links BD should push for the typhoon, a deal can be worked out that benefits both.
Even though sound bitter but our colonial past has a special place in the british society specially for the Bengal region. So you will find brits always behind BD in international arena.
I strongly support purchasing of Typhoon over any Russian fighter. I believe BD has hardly any other choice other than going with F-16.

Even though sound bitter but our colonial past has a special place in the british society specially for the Bengal region. So you will find brits always behind BD in international arena.
I strongly support purchasing of Typhoon over any Russian fighter. I believe BD has hardly any other choice other than going with F-16.

Too expensive honestly.

I don't know what they meant by saying UK will support BD with efforts to obtain fighters.

I just can't believe Typhoon in BAF service.

I see more chances of F-16s or J-10s in Bangladeshi colours rather than any European fighter (although I see a lot of resistance from India to this approach).

Any reason why Bangladesh never acquired Mirages like Pakistan/India did? It could've built up it's own Mirage related assembly/repair facilities by now like Pakistan/India have.
I dont think BD has strong political relation with France. We have almost nothing from French source.

Too expensive honestly.

I don't know what they meant by saying UK will support BD with efforts to obtain fighters.

I just can't believe Typhoon in BAF service.
BAF shortlisted SU-35 and Typhoon for the purchase. I am sure some sort of negotiation is going on behind the scence. BD can certainly afford 8 Typhoon in short term.

How about Jaguar. Do they still make them?

Last edited:
I dont think BD has strong political relation with France. We have almost nothing from French source.

BAF shortlisted SU-35 and Typhoon for the purchase. I am sure some sort of negotiation is going on behind the scence. BD can certainly afford 8 Tophoon in short term.

How about Jaguar. Do they still make them?

Jaguars are old and out of production a long time ago.

Really, UK has nothing to offer that fits what BD is looking for other than Typhoon.

LOL unless we are talking Tempest down the road. (Joking of course)

The other remote possibility are used Tranche 1 Typhoons.

Or perhaps it was a reference to Saab-BAE Gripen.

Or perhaps it was a reference to Saab-BAE Gripen.
No I am dont think brits will mediate with Saab. As Brits is one of the party (not the sole party) of Typhoon, they might try to get a discount for BD from other parties. Thats what he probably meant.
BD will certainly not gonna pay the same price as the other Arabs paid. Make sure of that.

No I am dont think brits will mediate with Saab. As Brits is one of the party (not the sole party) of Typhoon, they might try to get a discount for BD from other parties. Thats what he probably meant.

Who knows.

I will just say that it was an interesting note in that document.

I wasnt expecting something like that.

So it looks like both the US and UK have addressed weapons sales to BD.

I am 100% in favor of sourcing the new fighter from the West.

Who knows.

I will just say that it was an interesting note in that document.

I wasnt expecting something like that.

So it looks like both the US and UK have addressed weapons sales to BD.
Yap, some politics is going on behind the scene... BD will certainly be pulled in the western block...

Yap, some politics is going on behind the scene... BD will certainly be pulled in the western block...

Bangladesh is a very reasonable country.

Politically, I don't see any reason why it cant or shouldnt buy from the West, now that finances have improved.

F-16, Typhoon, Gripen.

I will take any of them over Mig-35 or Su-30.

@Avicenna @TopCat

I think that Typhoon in small numbers(8-12) is totally affordable for BAF.
While it can be freely used against Myanmar we can forget about India as the UK is in India big-time economically.
Anyway the chances of conflict with India in the next 1-2 decades is remote and BD would be in big trouble if relations with India came to war.
The concern with Typhoon is that it will cost 30-40% more to acquire and more than twice as much to operate than say Gripen E, which is probably out of reach now that it looks like USA is trying to sell F-16s to BD.
Maybe the cost of Typhoon is the price that BD needs to pay to get the most reliable Western jet it can get - even a squadron(12) of the latest Typhoon with AESA radar and Meteor BVRAAM, when acting with say Saab Global Eye AWACs, can pretty much neutralise the MAF.
Question is will BD government find the 4 billion US dollars even this small purchase will entail?

Last edited:
With political backing this price comes down substantially. From where did you come up with 4billion number

What other countries have paid.

This figure would include the 12 planes, 2-3 Global Erieye, Weapons(missiles and bombs), training, infrastructure setup, and 5-10 years of maintenance support.

@Avicenna @TopCat

I think that Typhoon in small numbers(8-12) is totally affordable for BAF.
While it can be freely used against Myanmar we can forget about India as the UK is in India big-time economically.
Anyway the chances of conflict with India in the next 1-2 decades is remote and BD would be in big trouble if relations with India came to war.
The concern with Typhoon is that it will cost 30-40% more to acquire and more than twice as much to operate than say Gripen E, which is probably out of reach now that it looks like USA is trying to sell F-16s to BD.
Maybe the cost of Typhoon is the price that BD needs to pay to get the most reliable Western jet it can get - even a squadron(12) of the latest Typhoon with AESA radar and Meteor BVRAAM, when acting with say Saab Global Eye AWACs, can pretty much neutralise the MAF.
Question is will BD government find the 4 billion US dollars even this small purchase will entail?

Who knows man.

All this is just really interesting speculation to me.

But I do think there is some political maneuvering being done behind the scenes which perhaps is delaying the purchase.

I really think the equation has changed post Rohingya.

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/tatmadaw-underscores-strategic-partnership-with-china-russia.617039/

And to prove my point I see the above.

Who knows man.

All this is just really interesting speculation to me.

But I do think there is some political maneuvering being done behind the scenes which perhaps is delaying the purchase.

I really think the equation has changed post Rohingya.

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/tatmadaw-underscores-strategic-partnership-with-china-russia.617039/

And to prove my point I see the above.

Yep, I think that without Rohingya and US sanctions on Russia, then BAF would have already ordered Russian and maybe Chinese fighters as well.

Buying US would mean that BD would have to align even more with US policies but procuring something like the Typhoon gives BD more control over the use of the aircraft and it's foreign policy.

Although Typhoon is really, really expensive, BD can afford them in limited numbers and that should suffice to keep the MAF at bay.

Yep, I think that without Rohingya and US sanctions on Russia, then BAF would have already ordered Russian and maybe Chinese fighters as well.

Buying US would mean that BD would have to align even more with US policies but procuring something like the Typhoon gives BD more control over the use of the aircraft and it's foreign policy.

Although Typhoon is really, really expensive, BD can afford them in limited numbers and that should suffice to keep the MAF at bay.

One thing to note is that there is no love lost between UK and Burma going back to WW2 days.

I think BD needs to engage more with the the West, be it US, UK or other Euro nations.

I really do think conflict in some form is a possibility going forward with Myanmar.

At the very least BD needs to be prepared for such an eventuality.

Back
Top Bottom