What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

One thing to note is that there is no love lost between UK and Burma going back to WW2 days.

I think BD needs to engage more with the the West, be it US, UK or other Euro nations.

I really do think conflict in some form is a possibility going forward with Myanmar.

At the very least BD needs to be prepared for such an eventuality.
Ya Monkeys feel pride of siding with Japs in every state visit to Japan which even makes japan ashamed. But these monkeys conveniently skip the fact that they jumped ship at last moment when they realized Japanese were loosing. Who will feel love lost for them? May be another monkey... or not.

Perhaps it could be for their old tornados? I'm pretty sure most were going to be retired this year right?

Doesn't fulfill requirements.

Too expensive to operate.

Not multi-role.

Zero percent chance.

The ground-attack Tornados were expensive high-end NATO spec platforms and are gas guzzlers (well all seventies era jets can be, but these double engine platforms REALLY were).

The ground attack variants were optimized for low level supersonic missions, putting tremendous fatigue on the air-frames. I'd doubt if any of them will pass a 'c' or 'd' check once the are disassembled.

The swing wings will be another source of maintenance headaches.

The Tornado interceptor however had a different problem.

This is from wiki,

"Essentially they took a heavy air-frame optimized for low-level flight (Tornado ground attack version), with engines optimized for low-level flight, with a radar optimized for attacking ground targets from low-level flight, and attempted to turn it into an interceptor intended to attack bombers at medium and high altitudes.

Despite its ‘F’ designation, and the euphemistic ‘interim’ description, the F.Mk 2 did not have a functioning radar and lacked several other vital components for a modern fighter. The center of gravity issues caused by the absent radar were solved with a large chunk of concrete ballast satirically dubbed the ‘Blue Circle radar’ after a cement brand. Sometimes a heavy metal plate was substituted instead of the concrete chunk. Despite the Tornado’s terrible high altitude performance and poor agility, huge amounts of money and time led to the F.Mk 3 – which eventually matured into a capable weapon system.

So - long story short, bad design to start with, and refurbishing these would be a money-losing exercise.

Typhoons are plausible option for BAF. Even old tranche 1 would be good leap in capabilities.

I am in support of Typhoons for few reason.

1. Good counter to any current and future inductions by our neighbours.

2. Technological superiority.

3. Will be possible to acquire in number.

Now on the third point. There is a good number of old Ttyphoons in UK, Italy & Germany. These airframes are not that old and many still has good amount of hours left in them. I believe UK and Italy will be willing to sell them if we come up with a reasonable proposal. 12 new+ 20/24 old tranche 1= total 32/36 unit will be good a number.

Only downside would be older Typhoons are really costly to maintain. But we have to consider that EU armed forces are under domestic pressure to cut costs. So any amount in maintenance for these airframes are often hyped up by the media.

But whatever we do regarding the Typhoons, we have to hurry. AFAIK Malaysia too is interested in Typhoons.

On the matter of AESA equipped figher. Well they are surely good. But it's not essential for us to equip every single of them with one. It will only put a hole in our pocket. A good old fourth generation radar equipped aircraft backed up by a AESA equipped AWACS like Eryie ER or Global Eryie is good enough for BAF.
Look more closely, there is a good lesson for us in 27'th February.

The ground-attack Tornados were expensive high-end NATO spec platforms and are gas guzzlers (well all seventies era jets can be, but these double engine platforms REALLY were).

The ground attack variants were optimized for low level supersonic missions, putting tremendous fatigue on the air-frames. I'd doubt if any of them will pass a 'c' or 'd' check once the are disassembled.

The swing wings will be another source of maintenance headaches.

The Tornado interceptor however had a different problem.

This is from wiki,

"Essentially they took a heavy air-frame optimized for low-level flight (Tornado ground attack version), with engines optimized for low-level flight, with a radar optimized for attacking ground targets from low-level flight, and attempted to turn it into an interceptor intended to attack bombers at medium and high altitudes.

Despite its ‘F’ designation, and the euphemistic ‘interim’ description, the F.Mk 2 did not have a functioning radar and lacked several other vital components for a modern fighter. The center of gravity issues caused by the absent radar were solved with a large chunk of concrete ballast satirically dubbed the ‘Blue Circle radar’ after a cement brand. Sometimes a heavy metal plate was substituted instead of the concrete chunk. Despite the Tornado’s terrible high altitude performance and poor agility, huge amounts of money and time led to the F.Mk 3 – which eventually matured into a capable weapon system.

So - long story short, bad design to start with, and refurbishing these would be a money-losing exercise.

Typhoons are not a good choice. If we go for western fighter, the only good option is Rafale although it's expensive. American jets and Gripens are susceptible to American mood swing, you pretty much handover your balls to the Americans for them to squeeze whenever they feel like.

BD should go for two jets, J-10 in high numbers, Rafale in lower numbers. Russian platforms should be dumped entirely. Only good thing from Russia that can be acquired are small arms, ATGMs, transport helicopters.

Typhoons are not a good choice. If we go for western fighter, the only good option is Rafale although it's expensive. American jets and Gripens are susceptible to American mood swing, you pretty much handover your balls to the Americans for them to squeeze whenever they feel like.

BD should go for two jets, J-10 in high numbers, Rafale in lower numbers. Russian platforms should be dumped entirely. Only good thing from Russia that can be acquired are small arms, ATGMs, transport helicopters.
Every platform has its limitation.
Eurofighter is a complex design and were meant for air superiority.. I dont think we need ground attack role for this fighter to begin with.. This will be a killing machine for any Burmese fighters venturing our borders.

Every platform has its limitation.
Eurofighter is a complex design and were meant for air superiority.. I dont think we need ground attack role for this fighter to begin with.. This will be a killing machine for any Burmese fighters venturing our borders.

It's maintenance cost is a nightmare as far as I read. Besides you need to have ground attack capability too. Rafale can do both the jobs, so can F-16s but they are sanction prone.

I think the most important thing for Bangladesh to do now is to actually pick sides, they can not state in this state of diplomatic limbo forever, if they decide to continue like this they will risk completely isolating themselves from everyone

I think the most important thing for Bangladesh to do now is to actually pick sides, they can not state in this state of diplomatic limbo forever, if they decide to continue like this they will risk completely isolating themselves from everyone

In a way this is correct.

All countries are gonna have to do this in one way or another.

Most importantly Bangladesh has to protect its interests and defend against hostility by Myanmar whether overt military, economic or diplomatic.

Having said this, if China fully backs Myanmar, perhaps Bangladesh should engage the US and the West in arms sales.

Of course China is also important to Bangladesh and as a result Chinese sensitivities have to be taken into account.

But if hostilities ever break out between Myanmar and Bangladesh, Bangladesh better choose the side it sees as giving more help.

In a way this is correct.

All countries are gonna have to do this in one way or another.

Most importantly Bangladesh has to protect its interests and defend against hostility by Myanmar whether overt military, economic or diplomatic.

Having said this, if China fully backs Myanmar, perhaps Bangladesh should engage the US and the West in arms sales.

Of course China is also important to Bangladesh and as a result Chinese sensitivities have to be taken into account.

But if hostilities ever break out between Myanmar and Bangladesh, Bangladesh better choose the side it sees as giving more help.
It has to be done before Hostilities break out because there is no Guarantee that someone will be willing to back us in such a Situation, which is why we need to be prepared beforehand. I think now is the Ideal time to make the move as many seem to be engaged in the current situation and we need to use it to our advantage. I personally think that it would be a mistake for Bangladesh to align themselves with the Superpowers (USA and China) as of right now, I think they really should focus on developing ties with Mid tier powers such as the UK, Indonesia, or Turkey, so that we would not be completely alone.

Back
Top Bottom