What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

This time BAF will go for c295 instead of c130, BAF officers discuss about it with army.
can anyone give us suggestion what will be those components?
Short Range AD Radar (SHORAD) System.
Integrated AD Network.
Long Range AD Radar System.
UAV:woot:

Chinise UAVs are awesome. They have shown their best in middle east. We may buy them:cheesy:

This time BAF will go for c295 instead of c130, BAF officers discuss about it with army.

this is a good move.... its been way too long that we've been blackmailed with C-130.... no more of such... its time to go forward....

can anyone give us suggestion what will be those components?
Short Range AD Radar (SHORAD) System.
Integrated AD Network.
Long Range AD Radar System.
UAV:woot:

SHORAD radar would be for the same FM-90, I think.... there's no point going for different systems to fulfill the same purpose....

LR radar could be the Leonardo radar already in place..... or may be something new to replace some of the old ones or something 'totally' new.... like getting a radar coverage over some less-than-secured airspace...

UAV may have two options.... one for small UAVs that we had been testing.... another one could be long-range ones to patrol over the Bay of Bengal....

this is a good move.... its been way too long that we've been blackmailed with C-130.... no more of such... its time to go forward.
C 295 is more in the class of lightweight -Medium Range aircraft ; while C130 is a medium weight - medium range aircraft.

Considering BAF few years ago requested additional C130, I believe they want something in that weight class. And that EDA request is not going to materialise, as I have mentioned last year. So new platform is the way I believe.

My choice aircraft would be the Shaanxi Y-9

@wanglaokan bro, do you know the unit cost of Y 9?
@Bilal9 Remember this discussion?
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/bangladesh-air-force.168817/page-154#post-8920748

Last edited:
C 295 is more in the class of lightweight -Medium Range aircraft ; while C130 is a medium weight - medium range aircraft.

Considering BAF few years ago requested additional C130, I believe they want something in that weight class. And that EDA request is not going to materialise, as I have mentioned last year. So new platform is the way I believe.

My choice aircraft would be the Shaanxi Y-9

@wanglaokan bro, do you know the unit cost of Y 9?
@Bilal9 Remember this discussion?
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/bangladesh-air-force.168817/page-154#post-8920748

Yup, Shaanxi Y-9 has gone into serial production.

http://defence-blog.com/news/fourte...tary-transport-aircraft-spotted-in-china.html

And variants of it are used for the exact same needs as we use our C-130's for.....

http://defence-blog.com/news/chines...of-a-new-y-9-military-transport-aircraft.html

Unfortunately I don't see a lot of progress on the Y-30 transport which was supposed to use newer more fuel-efficient design and engines.

May be some truck or even some helos from India. I dont think BD will use them to purchase arms from a 3rd country. It just does not look decent.

BD should buy absolutely nothing from India militarily.
It's whole defence doctrine is based on India as it's primary threat.

500 million US dollars is nothing for a 250 billion dollar economy growing at over 7% a year.

Yup, Shaanxi Y-9 has gone into serial production.

http://defence-blog.com/news/fourte...tary-transport-aircraft-spotted-in-china.html

And variants of it are used for the exact same needs as we use our C-130's for.....

http://defence-blog.com/news/chines...of-a-new-y-9-military-transport-aircraft.html

Unfortunately I don't see a lot of progress on the Y-30 transport which was supposed to use newer more fuel-efficient design and engines.
Y30 will make maiden flight at year 2020. Y-9 is definitely cheaper than C130, but less payload and range.

Y-9 is definitely cheaper than C130, but less payload and range.

okay, this is good....
how good is Y-9 in terms of maintenance?.... can it be maintained anywhere in the jungle of Africa where there is no industrial backup?.... thats gonna be crucial if we want those to be useful for our Congo operations.... Bangladesh is also considering Mi-28 and Mi-171Sh helos with Congo in mind....

as Bangladesh is looking for a two-engine aircraft, this certainly gives another perspective.... its the purpose that needs to be taken into account.... C-130 and Y-9 are four-engine aircraft.... much larger.... with totally different purpose....

20-30 tons category and 10 ton category are not the same.... we can also think of the difference in philosophy of carrying more than 100 people in one aircraft, or distributing them among more than one with each having capacity to carry 40 to 70 people .... different options may be desired for different purpose...

range is another issue though.... that depends on how far you need to go and on what purpose.... your purpose may determine whether you'll be using another airport on the way or not.... if yes, shorter range is okay.... if not, much longer range required....

as Bangladesh is looking for a two-engine aircraft, this certainly gives another perspective.... its the purpose that needs to be taken into account.... C-130 and Y-9 are four-engine aircraft.... much larger.... with totally different purpose..
I didn't knew about the two engine thingy before. Any source you know about that we don't?

On that notion BAF 'S An 32 fleet is also needs to be replaced. Those are already somewhat 30 or more years old. I don't know how much life is left in them.

20-30 tons category and 10 ton category are not the same.... we can also think of the difference in philosophy of carrying more than 100 people in one aircraft, or distributing them among more than one with each having capacity to carry 40 to 70 people .... different options may be desired for different purpose...
Of course... by definition.
IMHO while twine engine aircraft might suitable for army in their airborne troop operation. But for airforce it's not only about droping troops.

It's also hugely about how much war spporting materials & equipments you can carry to how much distances.

While C 295 will carry x amount to m distance,C130 carry almost 2x amount to m distance. You see the difference. While this weight to distance ratio is very relative ; but hands down you need both to fill their own shoes. It can't be expected of one do the job of other.

Last of all how much airframe you expect to maintain. How you plan to support a large amount of twine engine airframes? Where you will keep them? We can't just turn the whole airport to transport aircraft hub,we have limited spac. Also a large fleet is vulnerable in sense that you can't easily move or hide them.

A bigger airframe is there for a reason. Don't you think AFs that fought two World wars spent considerable amount of time thinking before inventing the wheel? Larger aircrafts cuts your maintenance & logistics hassle for 'x' amount of cargo displacement, if you only have small transporters in fleet. You will be spending more on MS&L just to displace the same amount of cargo, that could have been done much efficiently with a mix fleet of large & small aircraft.

range is another issue though.... that depends on how far you need to go and on what purpose.... your purpose may determine whether you'll be using another airport on the way or not.... if yes, shorter range is okay.... if not, much longer range required....
Very logical. No argument their.

Back
Top Bottom