What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

I doubt the meaning and efficiency of such a long-range missile.
You know the range of Patriot III is 80 km.

thats a good point you've brought up.... range of missiles are related to their purpose....
and the Patriot certainly doesn't have the same purpose as that of S-400.... which is why they're not likely to have a similar profile....

regarding export of such missiles to other countries, it depends on the purpose that country is trying to fulfill.... the emerging powers' needs have to be taken into account in order to make sense of such deals.... and such purpose is related to geopolitics given the sensitive nature of these systems.... its not just military needs we're talking about.... its the geopolitical purpose of these systems that needs to be taken into account....

thats a good point you've brought up.... range of missiles are related to their purpose....
and the Patriot certainly doesn't have the same purpose as that of S-400.... which is why they're not likely to have a similar profile....
regarding export of such missiles to other countries, it depends on the purpose that country is trying to fulfill.... the i powers' needs have to be taken into account in order to make sense of such deals.... and such purpose is related to geopolitics given the sensitive nature of these systems.... its not just military needs we're talking about.... its the geopolitical purpose of these systems that needs to be taken into account....
There are two main types of SAM systems.
First, Patriot series, is defensive and used to intercept the vehicle in the atmosphere, like planes, cruise missile , SRBM and MRBM.
Second, Standard series, Standard 1 and 2 play the similar role to Patriot with a range of about 100 km. Standard 3 and post variants is offensive and used to intercept vehicle out of atmosphere,like MRBM, SLBM, ICBM, satellite etc.
The latest Standard has a range of 1200 km could shoot down ballistic missile in the mid fight stage.

S-400 is kind of a mix of defensive and offensive systems.

I prefer US's style.
I think 200km range for HQ-9 is enough and all we need to do is to make it more accurate and agiler and react faster.
Let HQ-19 do other work.

There are two main types of SAM systems.
First, Patriot series, is defensive and used to intercept the vehicle in the atmosphere, like planes, cruise missile , SRBM and MRBM.
Second, Standard series, Standard 1 and 2 play the similar role to Patriot with a range of about 100 km. Standard 3 and post variants is offensive and used to intercept vehicle out of atmosphere,like MRBM, SLBM, ICBM, satellite etc.
The latest Standard has a range of 1200 km could shoot down ballistic missile in the mid fight stage.

S-400 is kind of a mix of defensive and offensive systems.

I prefer US's style.
I think 200km range for HQ-9 is enough and all we need to do is to make it more accurate and agiler and react faster.
Let HQ-19 do other work.

thats a good summary you've given... thanks a lot for that....

I am more interested in the geopolitical game that is played around such systems.... e.g. think about the purchase, supply or deployment of these systems in different geographical area.... they certainly would mean different things in different area..... and different systems in the same place would also mean different things... right?

e.g. think about S-400 in the hands on Indonesia or Saudi Arabia or Egypt or Turkey or Morocco..... these countries all control major international sea routes....

again, there's the origin issue.... HQ-9 in Indonesia would create a clash involving Japan.... but S-400.... well, Japan may just swallow it if it's exchanged with HQ-9.....

its not just the capability of the system that creates geopolitics.... its 1) the potential capability and 2) the origin of the design and the designing country's strategic intentions - these are part of geopolitics

everyone talks about active radar, which is always a target of enemy anti-radiation missiles.... what about passive surveillance systems?.....

this is a good video that shows how it works..... its a Czech-made system shown in the video....

i have a question why we dont buy any helicopter from China yet in like bulk 8 or 15 helicopter
i know we have 2 or 3 in navy

everyone talks about active radar, which is always a target of enemy anti-radiation missiles.... what about passive surveillance systems?.....

this is a good video that shows how it works..... its a Czech-made system shown in the video....
i just got an evil idea..........:devil:
first some of our air force old junk plan need to smach mobile tower, then We should ask our mobile phone operator (grameen phone, robi etc...) to install this king of system to avoid Mid air coalition. it will be cost efective............:D

i just got an evil idea..........:devil:
first some of our air force old junk plan need to smach mobile tower, then We should ask our mobile phone operator (grameen phone, robi etc...) to install this king of system to avoid Mid air coalition. it will be cost efective............:D

ha ha ha..... that is a weird plan.... actually those towers have their own purpose and limitations.... those shouldn't be mixed up with other purpose, even if you can....

rather, the point here is, a very good air warning system has not been discussed.... whereas, in wartime, most active radars would be switched on and off to avoid being targeted....

FB_IMG_1492247637911.jpg.34038b7c27d50de36507460e093834c0 (2).jpg

Last edited:
It's a screenshot from an official BAF document, that says :

In proceess to be inducted in BAF :

I. 3 Medium Range Transport Aircraft
ii. 2 Training Helicopters.
iii. 1 Radar for SHORAD System.
iv. Integrated AD Network.
v. 1 Long Range AD Radar System.
vi. UAV
vii. 11 PT 6 primary trainer aircraft.
Great!