What's new

Asia Cup 2008

people like robin uthappa, who are talented players, cant get into the playing 11. this speaks for itself.

in the past, i used to dread the day tendulkar would retire. i was sure indian cricket would collapse after tendulkar left. but now i think indian cricket is better than ever before, even without tendulkar.

i think personally that it would be a very big let down if india doesnt win the asia cup.

people like robin uthappa, who are talented players, cant get into the playing 11. this speaks for itself.

in the past, i used to dread the day tendulkar would retire. i was sure indian cricket would collapse after tendulkar left. but now i think indian cricket is better than ever before, even without tendulkar.

i think personally that it would be a very big let down if india doesnt win the asia cup.

u r correct - as i mentioned in a previous post (the kitply cup) india is talent rich - should be favourites to win the asia cup.

on the group match yesterday, pak tried to bully india when pak was bowling, instead got bullied by a cool and calm sehwag / riana partnership. well done india as pak lost the script after gul and shoaib were not available.

Gul has been advised a two weeks rest, so he will miss the asia cup. Abdur Rauf will be called upon, while Sohail Khan is suffering from malaria.

I hope Wahab gets another chance, he is a very good talent.

Hindustan Times: Latest Breaking News from India, Cricket, Bollywood, World, Business, Videos

India-Pakistan rivalry not the same anymore

Subhash Rajta, Hindustan Times

Karachi, June 27, 2008

How bad does it feel when Pakistan lose to India? “Just as bad as losing to Scotland,” said a group of college-going youngsters, smiling wryly at what they clearly thought wasn’t a very bright question. “Where’s the time to feel too bad or hurt? We are too busy thinking about our careers …we watch cricket just for entertainment,” said Sheikh Ayaz, a business administration student from Baharia University, just opposite the National Stadium.

While there’s no denying that passions now don’t run as high as they used to, such indifference comes as surprise. Not long ago, cricketers and their families lived in fear of angry retributions from spectators if they lost to their old enemy. Incidentally, the situation wasn’t any different in India as well.

“Look, it’s not that we don’t care if we lose. We do feel bad, but it’s no longer a matter of life and death for us. We are now concerned about more important issues. Globalisation, means of communication and education have opened a window to the outside world and now we know how far ahead India and other countries have moved from us. It’s here that we want to catch up with you,”said Mazz, another student.

This moderation in outlook isn’t confined to the youth; elders too have mellowed, though not to the same extent. “The intensity has certainly gone down. Now it's not like the streets getting deserted and people staying glued to the television and swearing at each other,” said cricket chacha, that elderly Pakistani fan who often travels with the team.

“The frequent matches between the two sides and communication between people of both the countries has brought about this change,” he said.

This softening of stance in Pakistan is quite significant, as against that in India, for Pakistan have, of late, lost the edge that they used to enjoy over India in the past. Nevertheless, they have shown the gumption to take it sportingly.

bangladesh will fight but bad lack .may be next time they win my spot with them

yes they have but noting more then UAE bangladesh or SINGAPORE

Bangladesh played very well today. They seem to be improving well.

India captain Dhoni unhappy with Asia Cup schedule, says tired players are dropping catches

The Associated Press
Saturday, June 28, 2008

KARACHI, Pakistan: India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni criticized the Asia Cup schedule after his team played three matches in four days.

"I am not happy with the format of the Asia Cup," Dhoni said after India defeated Bangladesh in the first Super Four match by seven wickets on Saturday. "We played 36 hours of cricket in the last 84 hours and it's really getting tough on the players."

India defeated Hong Kong in its first Group B match on Wednesday before beating archrival Pakistan the following day.

"The players are quite tired if you play too many matches in short span," Dhoni said.

Indian fielders have dropped several chances — including two missed opportunities for Gautam Gambhir against Bangladesh — and Dhoni suggested tiredness was a cause.

"Each and every player was tired on the field after playing three games in a short time and perhaps that was the reason that we missed chances," Dhoni said.

India will now have three days off before taking on archrival Pakistan and Sri Lanka in its remaining two Super Four matches on Wednesday and Thursday respectively.

The top two teams from the Super Four stage will meet in the final on July 6.

Pakistan is going to bat first against the Lankans.

Mansoor Amjad makes his debut.

However, his batting order at 9th is uncalled for.

Back
Top Bottom