What's new

Ashok Leyland to supply 300 double-decker buses to Bangladesh

My initial reaction was that AL buses are crap, and that moron Shajahan Khan is involved in looting govt. money in cahoots with low-life Indian agents of AL in supplying substandard buses.

Even in India- where they have a different standard for substandard vehicles, the AL buses are considered the lowest of the low.

I am surprised that SHW is still sticking up for this idiot (stage of denial for the clueless) - things are unfortunately going to blow up further and she is going to have a mess on her hands to clean up...

My initial reaction was that AL buses are crap, and that moron Shajahan Khan is involved in looting govt. money in cahoots with low-life Indian agents of AL in supplying substandard buses.

Even in India- where they have a different standard for substandard vehicles, the AL buses are considered the lowest of the low.

I am surprised that SHW is still sticking up for this idiot (stage of denial for the clueless) - things are unfortunately going to blow up further and she is going to have a mess on her hands to clean up...
Optare-Metrodecker-front-three-quarter-press-shot-1024x556.jpg

This is Ashok Leyland owned bus in UK. You get the buses/inventory you paid for. Don't expect Ferrari for the price of taxi.

At least, BD does not import 15th-century buses from Pakistan. Camel riding is more comfortable.

may be you should... it works just as well..

plus with money you save you can buy additional tents and life rafts when floods come.

BYD electric buses are not too bad.

107.jpg

25810908911_515d8d0bd3_b.jpg

33345066316_5266a3e1bf_b.jpg

BYD electric buses are not too bad.

107.jpg

25810908911_515d8d0bd3_b.jpg

33345066316_5266a3e1bf_b.jpg

Thanks brother @Two for posting these, exactly what we need for premium bus service in our city. I am guessing this is London. @UKBengali bhai, is this a premium or luxury service? I am also guessing electric buses are new to the London fleet.

70%-90% local private buses in my state look like this thanks to creative body shops, forget tourist buses and inter-city/inter-state. But govt orders are an entirely different matter. You need shops that can do big orders in a short time, economically and in the South Asian context, at an optimal durability instead of proper durability.

AL chassis and engines are good enough:
Very good .

Ashok Leyland buses are death traps.
I have had the unfortunate pleaure to ride in them for work and holy smokes if that thing catches on fire (probably 100% chance of that too) eeryone will die.

Also, one of the most uncomfortable rides ever.

Congratulations you saved your life.

Optare-Metrodecker-front-three-quarter-press-shot-1024x556.jpg

This is Ashok Leyland owned bus in UK. You get the buses/inventory you paid for. Don't expect Ferrari for the price of taxi.

Correction, Optare is a company where AL is a major investor (75%), to make a few bucks in profit (hasn't happened yet) and transfer some body technology back to improve AL's currently crappy standards. None of these Optare buses will ever see the shores of India as products- ever....

Get it?? Ever...too damn expensive ;)

It's not India's aukat to have buses like this.

The engine is from Mercedes Benz and the transmission is also German. The body is made by Optare. There is NOTHING remotely Indian about this bus. The workers and engineering are also mainly from the UK. They sold a grand total of three dozen buses so far. Faaltu....

Typical Indian dhokeybaazi....

Last edited:
Correction, Optare is a company where AL is a major investor (75%), to make a few bucks in profit (hasn;t happened yet) and transfer some body technology back to improve AL's currently crappy standards. None of these Optare buses will ever see the shores of India as products- ever....

The engine is from Mercedes Benz and the transmission is also German. The body is made by Optare. There is NOTHING remotely Indian about this bus. The workers and engineering are also mainly from the UK. They sold a grand total of three dozen buses so far. Faaltu....

Issue is not about Indian aukat and we don't need double deck buses in congested cities and solution is Metro which is more costlier than them so you don't worry about our aukat.

Question is if you want bus like that then pay the price and look into your economy and your aukat else get sub standard buses for puny finances.

Leyland buses are reliable and needs lesser maintenance. Only thing is, in northern India only spare parts availability is not as good as TATA's. I don't think Benz/Fuso or Scania or Volvo can match Ashok Leyland in tourist buses in numbers. As regarding the engines, I think modern Ashok Leyland engines are more to do with Hino than with original British Leyland or DAF.

These are recent Ashok Leyland double deckers built by some coach builder in Belgaon. Good enough for developing countries.
UHi4p.jpg

UHlhY.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks brother @Two for posting these, exactly what we need for premium bus service in our city. I am guessing this is London. @UKBengali bhai, is this a premium or luxury service? I am also guessing electric buses are new to the London fleet.
Clean energy is almost a global trend. and I don't think BYD will refuse to establish a joint venture in Bangladesh.
Most importantly, relying on China's Li-ion battery technology, Bangladesh can significantly reduce costs.

BYD Locks In Contract For 37 Electric Double-Decker Buses To Serve Central London

I am pretty sure Bangladesh knows what it is doing. As for comments about AL, I find the comments about AL funny because they have successfully exported buses and commercial vehicles to counties wealthier than Inidia and Bangladesh such as Saudi Arabia and Malaysia. Not to mention many African counter

Correction, Optare is a company where AL is a major investor (75%), to make a few bucks in profit (hasn't happened yet) and transfer some body technology back to improve AL's currently crappy standards. None of these Optare buses will ever see the shores of India as products- ever....

Optare is a subsidiary of AL. And why do we need them when AL works fine?

Back
Top Bottom