What's new

Ashok Leyland to supply 200 trucks to Bangladesh as part of $2-bn line of credit

Thanks.

A sane voice in the wilderness.

The unfortunate thing is, this mal-reputation by Indian companies of commercial vehicle products in our small market was not made in one day. It was made over fifty years and with some justification, by bus/truck fleet owners. The quality of engines, suspensions were so bad that time between overhauls were measured in one fourth that of similar Japanese buses/trucks.

Indian-made vehicles did not measure up historically quality-wise to those made in Japan or Korea. Some would say they still do not, though as I understand great strides were made recently in styling and also improvements in quality in recent years.

But once a mal-reputation is made, they are hard to refute.

Car buyers in the US still won't buy Hyundai and KIA vehicles because of bad reputation that occurred in the 1990's.

In the last two decades (as some of the bhakts highlighted) foreign bus mfrs. were acquired (for Tata, electrical bus makers in the UK and Irizar which was a bus body maker in Spain). Tata also acquired Daewoo's truck line which was being disposed of. These purchases bolstered Tata's position in India.

However I am still unconvinced whether Indian mfrs. will be as successful as Chinese ones in selling electric or Fuel-cell buses overseas profitably.

If they can do import-substitution successfully, that will be a source of much satisfaction in Indian circles I am sure. The size of India's own market for commercial vehicles will see to Tata and AL's success in that area.

Thanks.

The unfortunate thing is, this mal-reputation by Indian companies of commercial vehicle products in our small market was not made in one day. It was made over fifty years and with some justification, by bus/truck fleet owners. The quality of engines, suspensions were so bad that time between overhauls were measured in one fourth that of similar Japanese buses/trucks.

Indian-made vehicles did not measure up historically quality-wise to those made in Japan or Korea. Some would say they still do not, though as I understand great strides were made recently in styling and also improvements in quality in recent years.

Car buyers in the US still won't buy Hyundai and KIA vehicles because of bad reputation that occurred in the 1990's.

In the last two decades (as some of the bhakts highlighted) foreign bus mfrs. were acquired (for Tata, electrical bus makers in the UK and Irizar which was a bus body maker in Spain). Tata also acquired Daewoo's truck line which was being disposed of. These purchases bolstered Tata's position in India.

However I am still unconvinced whether Indian mfrs. will be as successful as Chinese ones in selling electric or Fuel-cell buses overseas profitably.

If they can do import-substitution successfully, that will be a source of much satisfaction in Indian circles I am sure. The size of India's own market for commercial vehicles will see to Tata and AL's success in that area.
most of what you have written is inaccurate. let's leave it at that.

Certainly UK cannot afford ultra luxury 1st world made in Shonar Bangla by Bhalton buses thats why has to buy from “low quality, 3rd class cheap Indian companies”.
View attachment 815390

What part of the origin of this product is Indian?? Parts supplied by DANA in the USA or UK, put together in Valladolid, Spain. The company was previously named OPTARE, which designed (and still designs) UK market spec'ed commercial electric vehicles in low volumes for the UK market. Should I be impressed?

This was a profit making venture by the Hindujas (Ashok Leyland) from day one. All large Indian mfrs. do this, open up foreign subsidiaries.

As we all know who are connected to international business, buying foreign companies is a very convenient way to siphon money out of India. The Tatas do this as do the Eichers (with Royal Enfield facilities in the UK). Only clueless bhakts don't get why money is being siphoned in legit manner out of India.

"Optare was renamed Switch Mobility in late 2020 to highlight its focus on electric and sustainable transport. Commenting on the rebranding at the time, Ashok Leyland chairman Dheeraj Hinduja said: “Optare is adopting a new identity and logo as Switch, signaling our strategic ambitions in electric and green mobility.

Ashok Leyland is an Indian commercial vehicle manufacturer, part of the Hinduja Group, based in Chennai, eastern India. In 2010, Leyland acquired a 26 per cent stake in UK bus manufacturer Optare, which moved to a newly built plant in Sherburn-in-Elmet shortly after. In 2017, Ashok Leyland bought out a further 72 per cent of Optare, which, together with the previous stake, amounted to an almost complete takeover."

most of what you have written is inaccurate. let's leave it at that.

When you have some time to spare, please enlighten me on how these facts are inaccurate. I corrected what I wrote about Tata buying the electric bus company Optare, it was actually Hinduja Group (AL). And Tata did not buy Irizar, it bought Hispano Carrocera, which it got rid of. AL did the same for its Eastern EU operations.

Last edited:
Thanks.

In the last two decades (as some of the bhakts highlighted) foreign bus mfrs. were acquired ( for AL, electrical bus maker Optare in the UK and for Tata, Hispano Carrocera - which was a bus body maker in Spain). Tata also acquired Daewoo's truck line which was being disposed of. These purchases bolstered Tata's position in India.

Dada, a claim has to be followed by evidence. Mon-gora kotha bolay ki luv??

Apnar India-tey cellphone manufacturing hoi na, assembly hoi.

Banya cow belt idiots will only invest the minimum needed to make money from clueless Indians. Even the labels are brought in from China for Karbonn phones - I know.

Samsung might decide to "assemble" phones in India, but "manufacture" is not a word I'd use, they are made from either Vietnamese or Chinese sub-assemblies screwed together in India, unless things have changed.

Samsung parts for Bangladesh (whatever not made locally) AFAIK come from Vietnam or China (some from Malaysia). India is not a source for Bangladesh cellphone manufacturing parts. If it is, it's for extremely non-critical parts. I seriously doubt they import anything for cellphone manufacturing from India.

I have shown you before how Walton manufactures cellphones from scratch (using SMD/SMT pick/place robotics for circuit boards) and makes their own screens, there is hardly this level of basic manufacturing in India.

Same thing for refrigerator compressors of many types which Bangladesh supplies to EU mfrs. Bangladeshi refrigerators will automatically be cheaper than Indian ones because compressors are sourced locally.

Bangladeshi level of consistency/quality is automatically higher because production processes are more automated.

Since Bangladesh labor costs are lower, and backward integration is higher in many sectors, retail cost in Bangladesh is automatically lower than India.

Your govt. can try all it wants - but ultimately Bangladeshi parts will be going into Indian phones and products will get smuggled into India.

Walton's PCB line. See the rest of the video too.

Walton's cellphone manufacturing

SMD/SMT Pick and Place Robots.

iu

When you have some time to spare, please enlighten me on how these facts are inaccurate. I corrected what I wrote about Tata buying the electric bus company Optare, it was actually Hinduja Group (AL). And Tata did not buy Irizar, it bought Hispano Carrocera, which it got rid of. AL did the same for its Eastern EU operations.
you are all over the place in your eagerness to put India down.
Japanese quality is obviously excellent, does not mean Indian quality is bad. The 4.7 m annual vehicle exports from India do not happen if Indian made vehicles have a bad reputation.
On electric vehicles, India at the moment has a very nascent industry as nothing is manufactured inhouse. Why you have to bring that up in a discussion about IC vehicles is strange ? Next you might say AL is bad because India does not make passenger aircrafts.
Be more cohesive and coherent in your arguments.
Here is a link for the current financial year. It runs till 2022 March.

On electric vehicles, India at the moment has a very nascent industry as nothing is manufactured inhouse. Why you have to bring that up in a discussion about IC vehicles is strange ? Next you might say AL is bad because India does not make passenger aircrafts.

You mistake my correcting these chest beater trolls as an "eagerness" to put India down. This is far from actuality. I gain nothing from putting a group of people (like Indians) down, levities aside. We were all part of the same "country" once - and my region (people) led India in thought leadership, GDP generation and commerce to boot. This is all part of history.

A teacher who gave his pupils the meaning of education and culture cannot bad mouth them.

Electric commercial vehicle production by Switch was brought up only because that guy Sudarshan mentioned (or was supposing, rather) that Switch (formerly known as Optare - owned by the Hinduja's and doing business in the UK) was manufacturing commercial electric buses in India, which was a surprise to me, and turns out it is not true. Hindujas run a multi-national company (including operations in the UK/Spain and AL in India is only one part of it.

Chest beating is fine, if there is some shred of truth in it. I have no idea why amateur Chest beaters have such a need to resort to untruths.

I have been to India multiple dozens of times, as do my immediate family members and countless Bangladeshi friends. We all in Bangladesh continue to support Indian economy at both retail and business levels, despite being called names like "Ghuspetia" (termites) by top people in your govt. (Mota bhai) fishing for votes.

We remain intimately familiar (both at a personal and business level) of what India was, is and will be transforming to. Outright lies by half-educated chest-beater bhakt trolls irk me, which I will correct politely as necessary.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom