What's new

Ashok Leyland to supply 200 trucks to Bangladesh as part of $2-bn line of credit

By that logic i agree that BD goverment is doing a terrible job. Indian products are hazardous. Cars and motorbikes are nowhere near international standards. The same for almost all indian products, which explain why its export of capital goods are almost neglible. Indian consumer goods are also low rate and BD local products are usually better.

Its time for BD goverment to realize that indian products are very dangerous for helth and safety. Should have placed blanket ban long time ago.

If indian treat the only friendly nation in the nighborhood this way. No reason to wonder why it simply fails to live up to its potential. India is barely a regional power and that is nothing but a failure of its own foreign policies.
India exported 4.77 m vehicles inspite of Chinese virus last year.
Facts do not support your assertion.
Go anywhere in the developing world like south east Asia, Africa , South America , etc , you will find indian brands like bajaj, tvs, Tata, mahindra .
Also niche markets in developed countries for our motorcycles - RE , mahindra tractors in the usa in the low hp range , with excellent reputations.
Ofcourse the 4.77 m includes MNC brand exports like hyundai.

India exported 4.77 m vehicles inspite of Chinese virus last year.
Facts do not support your assertion.
Go anywhere in the developing world like south east Asia, Africa , South America , etc , you will find indian brands like bajaj, tvs, Tata, mahindra .
Also niche markets in developed countries for our motorcycles - RE , mahindra tractors in the usa in the low hp range , with excellent reputations.
Ofcourse the 4.77 m includes MNC brand exports like hyundai.

Its upto BD to decide what is harzardous for her population. I am only using his arguments against him. So whats the problem?

Last edited:
Its upto BD to decide what is harzardous for her population. I am only using his arguments against him. So whats the problem?
5 m vehicle exports is not negligible by any standards.
14 b usd in value.
Though personal vehicles I agree is more of personal choice . But how are they hazardous is not clear ?
India has implemented bs6 pollution norms from 2020.

Indian products are hazardous

Well - I do not consume these, but these Indian products are definitely considered sub-par, if not hazardous. No offense. Pan Bahar is now banned in the US after studies led to NIH taking this step. The Indian govt. will never step in to protect their public's health.

Parle Gluco Biscuits
iu

Pan Bahar Paan Ghutka
iu

Well - I do not consume these, but these Indian products are definitely considered sub-par, if not hazardous. No offense. Pan Bahar is now banned in the US.

Parle Gluco Biscuits
iu

Pan Bahar Paan Ghutka
iu

Indian consumer goods are not any safer than locally produced bangladeshi product. So the argument that Bangladeshi product are bad for health, thats why indian government has to protect its citizen and stop import, dosent make any sense. Its just a dishonest way to keep their trade surplus ongoing.

There is a reson why USA have good relation with its immidiate neighbors, Japan and EU. USA buys a lot more than it sells to those country. Thats the price America is willing to pay; giving out benefit for its allies.
India is exact opposite; it refuses to give any substantial benefits to its neighbors or any country it wants good relations with. It simply wants to take and take and not give. But sorry you cant fool all the people all the time.

Last edited:
5 m vehicle exports is not negligible by any standards.
14 b usd in value.
Though personal vehicles I agree is more of personal choice . But how are they hazardous is not clear ?
India has implemented bs6 pollution norms from 2020.

I understand your stance of standing behind Indian product due to being patriotic.

However some objectivity is always a welcome quality.

If Indian mfrs. wanted, they could produce safe, non-hazardous products like passenger cars which are produced outside India and have minimum safety standards for collision etc. Ditto with Trucks and Buses makers like AL and Tata. But they don't care and they don't.

If auto mfrs. in India can keep Indian politicians in their pocket to avoid regulatory trouble for producing shoddy products, why would they care?

This has been the case since when Jamnalal Bajaj and the Tatas and Birlas were personal friends of the Nehrus before WWII and they kept the Indian market a closed market to themselves, producing shoddy products and selling it at a premium.

Even today, some India mfrs. and banyas cannot let go of the license Raj privilege and want India to become their personal money making machine by having it revert back to a closed economy with no foreign competition.

That is exactly why India can export a lot of things (including mini passenger cars), but cannot compete in foreign markets. Even under foreign brand names.

There are exceptions of course and some Indian vehicles with airbags (more expensive ones unfortunately) have recently scored well in NCAP tests in EU and Indian is setting up her own NCAP testing regime.

Those in the know in the automotive sector do know that Indian mfrs. have so far not invested in quality materials, safety measures (use of strong anti-collision auto body cage design) and quality components used in producing Indian vehicles, to the point where Indian vehicles have been banned from sales in some foreign markets. Even until very recently, almost all Indian cars exported to EU tested in the Global NCAP scored zero stars. This was a huge thing in the media. There is a problem , and only Indian factory owners will be able to resolve it. This means producing better products and caring about quality.

Indians buy Indian vehicles because they have no choice otherwise. People outside India do have choices.

You don't have to die in an Indian vehicle just because it happens to be produced in India.

Even for Indian Market - people should not buy these cars linked below if they value their lives, they all scored Zero in Global NCAP tests and are essentially death traps. I have produced numerous posts on these many, many times.

Car mfrs. in India aren't anyone's friends, they are in it only for the money. They don't care if your wife/kid dies or even gets paralyzed for life.

https://www.globalncap.org/news/global-ncap-calls-for-urgent-withdrawal-of-datsun-go

I understand your stance of standing behind Indian product due to being patriotic.

However some objectivity is always a welcome quality.

If Indian mfrs. wanted, they could produce safe, non-hazardous products like passenger cars which are produced outside India and have minimum safety standards for collision etc. Ditto with Trucks and Buses makers like AL and Tata. But they don't care and they don't.

If auto mfrs. in India can keep Indian politicians in their pocket to avoid regulatory trouble for producing shoddy products, why would they care?

This has been the case since when Jamnalal Bajaj and the Tatas and Birlas were personal friends of the Nehrus before WWII and they kept the Indian market a closed market to themselves, producing shoddy products and selling it at a premium.

Even today, some India mfrs. and banyas cannot let go of the license Raj privilege and want India to become their personal money making machine by having it revert back to a closed economy with no foreign competition.

That is exactly why India can export a lot of things (including mini passenger cars), but cannot compete in foreign markets. Even under foreign brand names.

There are exceptions of course and some Indian vehicles with airbags (more expensive ones unfortunately) have recently scored well in NCAP tests in EU and Indian is setting up her own NCAP testing regime.

Those in the know in the automotive sector do know that Indian mfrs. have so far not invested in quality materials, safety measures (use of strong anti-collision auto body cage design) and quality components used in producing Indian vehicles, to the point where Indian vehicles have been banned from sales in some foreign markets. Even until very recently, almost all Indian cars exported to EU tested in the Global NCAP scored zero stars. This was a huge thing in the media. There is a problem , and only Indian factory owners will be able to resolve it. This means producing better products and caring about quality.

Indians buy Indian vehicles because they have no choice otherwise. People outside India do have choices.

You don't have to die in an Indian vehicle just because it happens to be produced in India.

Even for Indian Market - people should not buy these cars linked below if they value their lives, they all scored Zero in Global NCAP tests and are essentially death traps. I have produced numerous posts on these many, many times.

Car mfrs. in India aren't anyone's friends, they are in it only for the money. They don't care if your wife/kid dies or even gets paralyzed for life.

https://www.globalncap.org/news/global-ncap-calls-for-urgent-withdrawal-of-datsun-go

You have your set viewpoint which I won't try to change. Though you have been very vague in your comments, without specifics.
A specific like Europe does not use global NCAP but Euro NCAP , which has more stringent norms than global.
Pl update your knowledge then we can have a more productive conversation.

You have your set viewpoint which I won't try to change. Though you have been very vague in your comments, without specifics.
A specific like Europe does not use global NCAP but Euro NCAP , which has more stringent norms than global.
Pl update your knowledge then we can have a more productive conversation.

Thanks for your comment. I may not be fully conversant on all automotive subjects (especially that of India or EU), however I have lived in the US most of my life and consider myself an aficionado more or less of the US automotive sector. If you could possibly tell me WHERE (IN ANY PRECISE TOPIC) I need to maybe update my viewpoints - that would be helpful.

The set viewpoint I laid out is my impression of the Indian automotive scene, where (unlike previously) I have tried to be as fair and truthful as possible as to current Indian scenario. The fact that it did not meet with you man-pasand satisfaction is my shortcoming. Blame accepted.

It could totally be that you are the expert and I am the burbak (ahammuk).

You may have noticed that as Bengalis - we in the Bangladesh section bad mouth our country and its shortcomings all the time, sometimes brutally (@bluesky bhai is our resident expert at this). Our country is not "Saray Jahan se aaccha". It's a piece-of-crap third world $hithole, call it what it actually is.

But (if you allow me to say so) so is your country of 1.4 Billion, where GDP per capita in nominal terms is less than ours. The only difference is that India is seven times larger, so certain things occur business and industrial activity wise (Mars Mission showcase project for example) which won't happen in ours.

Priorities have a funny way of getting lost on the way to fruition (i.e. to the watering well).

Ruti-rooji, kapda, makaan, health (and dare I say) toilets - should have been our focus in all our countries, but they somehow vanish in front of priorities which dictate building 600 foot statues which cannot be broken up and be fed to the poor.

Unless we subcontinentals have a very clear view of where our shortcomings lie and how to correct them (even compared to say - China) and stop lying to ourselves and stop patting ourselves on the back for every little useless thing, conditions won't improve.

Sorry for the long rant - but all this also applies to what ails the largely unregulated Indian automotive industry,

A. Lack of focus on contextual priorities, and
B. Long term vision

Thanks for your comment. I may not be fully conversant on all automotive subjects (especially that of India or EU), however I have lived in the US most of my life and consider myself an aficionado more or less of the US automotive sector. If you could possibly tell me WHERE (IN ANY PRECISE TOPIC) I need to maybe update my viewpoints - that would be helpful.

The set viewpoint I laid out is my impression of the Indian automotive scene, where (unlike previously) I have tried to be as fair and truthful as possible as to current Indian scenario. The fact that it did not meet with you man-pasand satisfaction is my shortcoming. Blame accepted.

It could totally be that you are the expert and I am the burbak (ahammuk).

You may have noticed that as Bengalis - we in the Bangladesh section bad mouth our country and its shortcomings all the time, sometimes brutally (@bluesky bhai is our resident expert at this). Our country is not "Saray Jahan se aaccha". It's a piece-of-crap third world $hithole, call it what it actually is.

But (if you allow me to say so) so is your country of 1.4 Billion, where GDP per capita in nominal terms is less than ours. The only difference is that India is seven times larger, so certain things occur business and industrial activity wise (Mars Mission showcase project for example) which won't happen in ours.

Priorities have a funny way of getting lost on the way to fruition (i.e. to the watering well).

Ruti-rooji, kapda, makaan, health (and dare I say) toilets - should have been our focus in all our countries, but they somehow vanish in front of priorities which dictate building 600 foot statues which cannot be broken up and be fed to the poor.

Unless we subcontinentals have a very clear view of where our shortcomings lie and how to correct them (even compared to say - China) and stop lying to ourselves and stop patting ourselves on the back for every little useless thing, conditions won't improve.

Sorry for the long rant - but all this also applies to what ails the largely unregulated Indian automotive industry,

A. Lack of focus on contextual priorities, and
B. Long term vision
I fully agree with you that we all are a bunch of desperately poor countries but being from the engineering line I have a pretty practical view of where India stands.
In India if you check the vehicles with the highest global NCAP safety ratings, the locally produced tata, mahindra come with the highest 5 and 4 stars .
While most of the Suzuki maruti, Hyundai , etc reduce cost by compromising on safety.
The only reason I entered this discussion was because it was claimed that Indian vehicles would be unsafe for BD.

I am sure the international versions of the foreign brands meet better safety standards. Since India just has a pollution standard not a safety standard , international companies are taking advantage of it.

Arey if you just stitch chaddis, the result will be you'll enjoy trade deficit. Are all lungis such morons?

You are a rude individual. Your parents obviously failed to raise in you some normal manners.

Having coversation with rude people is not apetizing. Adios!

In India if you check the vehicles with the highest global NCAP safety ratings, the locally produced tata, mahindra come with the highest 5 and 4 stars .

Maybe true for Tata, but not for Mahindra, the last Scorpio model (a ladder frame model, surprisingly) got zero stars in the global NCAP.

In any case - I am not going to disagree with your observations, but there are few ladder frame SUV's being made by global mfrs. anymore, that stopped two decades ago.

If Mahindra makes them, they must be for local Indian conditions. Hope the new Scorpio supposed to release this month (2023 model) is made up of monocoque construction.

Those of us who don't live in India have our choices of buying pretty much anything we want new, yes even in Bangladesh. This includes vehicles (Toyotas and Hondas among others) of much safer design, of better emission regimes. Mitsubishi SUV's have been assembled locally since the 1970's, and the offerings include even locally assembled CKD kit vehicles from Malaysian national manufacturer Proton. Bangladesh is a small place, but the automotive market is growing.

On the lower end, re-manufactured 4 year old Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) cars such as Toyota NOAH and ALLION (sized between a COROLLA and CAMRY) are extremely popular as practical value propositions locally in Bangladesh. A 2018 model Toyota Allion with full luxury trim (leather, AC, automatic, power everything, Bluetooth) is available in Bangladesh (with 300% VAT) at Tk. 31 lakh. This has a trouble free life of at least ten years, maybe fifteen, if serviced regularly. Why would anyone possibly buy anything else?

iu
iu

You are a rude individual. Your parents obviously failed to raise in you some normal manners.

Having coversation with rude people is not apetizing. Adios!

India is full of such under-educated crass Bhakt folks. Mostly from the cow belt.

Last edited:
Maybe true for Tata, but not for Mahindra, the last Scorpio model (a ladder frame model, surprisingly) got zero stars in the global NCAP.

In any case - I am not going to disagree with your observations, but there are few ladder frame SUV's being made by global mfrs. anymore, that stopped two decades ago.

If Mahindra makes them, they must be for local Indian conditions. Hope the new Scorpio supposed to release this month (2023 model) is made up of monocoque construction.

Those of us who don't live in India have our choices of buying pretty much anything we want new, yes even in Bangladesh. This includes vehicles (Toyotas and Hondas among others) of much safer design, of better emission regimes. Mitsubishi SUV's have been assembled locally since the 1970's, and the offerings include even locally assembled CKD kit vehicles from Malaysian national manufacturer Proton. Bangladesh is a small place, but the automotive market is growing.

On the lower end, re-manufactured 4 year old Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) cars such as Toyota NOAH and ALLION are extremely popular as value propositions locally in Bangladesh. A 2018 model Toyota Allion with full luxury trim (leather, AC, automatic, power everything, Bluetooth) is available in Bangladesh (with 300% VAT) at Tk. 31 lakh. This has a trouble free life of at least ten years, maybe fifteen, if serviced regularly. Why would anyone possibly buy anything else?

iu
iu

India is full of such under-educated crass Bhakt folks. Mostly from the cow belt.
Bhakt folks are growing faster then Covid, not just in the cow belt.

On the lower end, re-manufactured 4 year old Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) cars such as Toyota NOAH and ALLION are extremely popular as value propositions locally in Bangladesh. A 2018 model Toyota Allion with full luxury trim (leather, AC, automatic, power everything, Bluetooth) is available in Bangladesh (with 300% VAT) at Tk. 31 lakh. This has a trouble free life of at least ten years, maybe fifteen, if serviced regularly. Why would anyone possibly buy anything else?

iu
iu

iu
iu

Back
Top Bottom