What's new

Arjun mk II ready for trial!

You are getting my point wrong. I m not saying that Heavy tank will drown in muddy land...

My point is mobility, heavier machine will be less mobile in muddy land than lighter machine...

I agree that ground pressure is important thing... think about it..

Note: this was the reason Pakistan didn't considered American heavy tank,

bhai shaab!!if someone offer me Lamborgni and Swift Dzire . Am going to chose Dzire ,because it's less maintence prone and high mileage which i can afford .. But pakistan is no india or india is no pakistan.. My point is downrated T90 cost more than arjun a well known fact ,upgraded T 90 cost much more than upgraded arjun again then why buy T90 ?maintence cost is equal for T90and arjun .

i wonder why nobody is worried about price tag that Arjun MK-II will carry... already Arjun MK-1 cost around 50% more than T - 90

with all the goodies it will cost double wat T-90 cost us ....

My point is mobility, heavier machine will be less mobile in muddy land than lighter machine...
As I said its ground pressure is what matters in mud. Tank drives through mud much better than light car.

First of all Abrams is way to expensive for Pakistan.
Secondly Abrams has gas turbine which consimes lots of fuel and makes is very expensive for maintenance.
Thirdly there are political reasons I guess, Pakistan wants to reduce dependance on US and develope relationships wih China.

You are getting my point wrong. I m not saying that Heavy tank will drown in muddy land...

I agree that ground pressure is important thing... think about it..

You have not understood the meaning/definition of "ground pressure" yet.

Read '500's post above about movement of the Merkava tank w.r.t. a 1-tonne Jeep. You're likely to find that helpful.

First of all Abrams is way to expensive for Pakistan.
Secondly Abrams has gas turbine which consimes lots of fuel and makes is very expensive for maintenance.
Thirdly there are political reasons I guess, Pakistan wants to reduce dependance on US and develope relationships wih China.

Abrams (esp. the G-T engine) is too expensive for anybody except may be Saudi Arabia and USA.
Incidentally one of the engines considered for the heavy Arjun (at early design stage) was a G-T option. Needless to say, it was erased off the drawing board as soon as it was thought of.

You have not understood the meaning/definition of "ground pressure" yet.

Read '500's post above about movement of the Merkava tank w.r.t. a 1-tonne Jeep. You're likely to find that helpful.

Exactly. This is what people fail to realize. I read somewhere that for a tank like Arjun, its ground pressure is the lightest!

Example Ground Pressures A few examples of ground pressure of some land vehicles.
Ground pressure is the pressure exerted on the ground by the tires or tracks of a motorized vehicle, and is one measure of its potential mobility,[1] especially over soft ground. Ground pressure is measured in pascals (Pa) which corresponds to the EES unit of pounds per square inch (psi). Average ground pressure can be calculated using the standard formula for average pressure: P = F/A.[2] In an idealized case, i.e. a static, uniform net force normal to level ground at Earth sea level, this is simply the object's weight divided by contact area. The ground pressure of motorized vehicles is often compared to the ground pressure of a human foot, which can be 60 - 80 kPa while walking or as much as 13 MPa for a person in spike heels.[3]
Increasing the size of the contact area on the ground (the footprint) in relation to the weight decreases the ground pressure. Ground pressure of 14 Pa (2 psi) or less is recommended for fragile ecosystems like marshes.[4] Decreasing the ground pressure increases the flotation, allowing easier passage of the body over soft terrain. This is often observed in activities like snowshoeing.

Hovercraft: 0.7 kPa (0.1 psi)
Human on Snowshoes: 3.5 kPa (0.5 psi)
Rubber-tracked ATV: 5.165 kPa (0.75 psi)
Diedrich D-50 - T2 Drilling rig: 26.2 kPa (3.8 psi)
Human male (1.8 meter tall, medium build): 55 kPa (8 psi)
M1 Abrams tank: 103 kPa (15 psi)
1993 Toyota 4Runner / Hilux Surf: 170 kPa (25 psi)
Adult horse (550 kg, 1250 lb): 170 kPa (25 psi)
Passenger car: 205 kPa (30 psi)
Wheeled ATV: 240 kPa (35 psi)
Mountain bicycle: 245 kPa (40 psi)
Racing bicycle: 620 kPa (90 psi)
Note: Pressures for Man and Horse are for standing still. A walking human will exert more than double his standing pressure. A galloping horse will exert up to 3.5 MPa (500 psi). The ground pressure for a pneumatic tire is roughly equal to its inflation pressure.

Now here is a list of ground pressures of leading tanks:
P5200036.JPG

As you can see, the ground pressure of Arjun tank is the lightest, even lighter than France's Lecrec!!

@gubbi!! As i said IA is covering up !! A huge huge scam in T90 procurement..

Exactly. This is what people fail to realize. I read somewhere that for a tank like Arjun, its ground pressure is the lightest!

Example Ground Pressures A few examples of ground pressure of some land vehicles.

Now here is a list of ground pressures of leading tanks:
P5200036.JPG

As you can see, the ground pressure of Arjun tank is the lightest, even lighter than France's Lecrec!!

T-90s ground pressure is 0.94 kg/cm2. Thats official number.

If Arjun's 0.84 kg/cm2 is correct that means Arjun has considerably lower ground pressure.

The tank commanders love the Arjun...but IA is skeptical about how to build logistics and train crews for the new kind of tank. This is the first time after the Centurions we are going to use a tank design derived from the operational realities the west.

It will take a long time for the army to prepare and use the Arjun to its full capability. The T 90 is ore like a plug and play system for them.

I will say I certainly dont blame Army completely for not buying Arjun and same to IAF for LCA. The only reason Army got a chance to look around is we over estimated our abilities.

But having said that, I will say Arjun has come up as a MBT which is on par with all the tanks.

Ambasador cars are not as fancy as Farari, but last long, better safety and power. I treat Arjun like that.

Why does Arjun use a rifled gun, dont India's T-90s and T-72s use Smooth bore gun?

From military - today:

The Arjun MBT has some design similarities with German Leopard 2. It utilizes Kanchan heavy composite armor, which is broadly similar to British Chobham armor. If necessary explosive reactive armor blocks can be added for improved protection. Arjun MBT also incorporates significant crew protection measures, including ammunition compartment separated from the crew with a blow-off panels in the turret bustle.
Vehicle is armed with a 120-mm rifled gun. It is worth mentioning that a rifled gun of such caliber is used only on Challenger 2 MBT. This gun is very accurate at long range and ensures high hit probability.

Arjun Main Battle Tank | Military-Today.com

It's kind of funny with India and it's forces, we like to procure Russian arms in huge numbers, for several reasons, but when it comes to own developments we always aim them on western counterparts. That's why Arjun, or LCA are aimed more on western MBTs, or light weight fighters.

ARJUN MK 2 should have trophy APS and KAKTUS 1 ERA in frontal section. DRDO is already planning 1500 hp engine for ARJUN.
Is it confirmed ??

Last edited by a moderator:
ARJUN MK 2 should have trophy APS and KAKTUS 1 ERA in frontal section. DRDO is already planning 1500 hp engine for ARJUN.

OBVIOUSLY they will HAVE to put a 1500hp engine in that tank, otherwise it will be as fast as a bullcart!
unless they make it lighter, which doesn't seem like it...

Back
Top Bottom