What's new

Arjun MK-II Gearing up for final trials

you are right..actually they made this..

dsc02265qd4.jpg

29-Stablised-Remote-Controll.jpg

Stabilised Remote Controlled Weapon Station :
Weapon 7.62 mm LMG
Ammunition 460 rounds in two belts
Coverage 3600 x N in Azimuth, -200 to + 600 in Elevation
Dimensions 600 x 800 mm
Weight 170 Kg
Angular rates Azimuth - 1 rad/sec, Elevation - 0.5 red/sec
Power 24 V
Day Sight CCD zoom X1 to > X20
Night Sight
Ordnance Factory Board

credit goes to @acetophenol

This is the IMI Wave 100 RCWS with the MAG GPMG.

Wave-100

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a tank guy, but some Indian members were telling me that that the Arjun Mk-1 was really bad and the Mk-2 is supposed to address the issues with the first.

Can any Indian members tell me what the problems were with the first?

No, just use google and find it out genius....

One of +120 Arjun MK Is in service with the IA...
P1040702-1.JPG

are you telling me you forgot to post the news of arjun 1 production and later induction? This is a photo from failed trial of arjun 1!

i was also wondering about the weight thing..we cant position it against china..

are you telling me you forgot to post the news of arjun 1 production and later induction? This is a photo from failed trial of arjun 1!

WTF are you talking about?!

This picture was taken from the Exercise Sudarshan Shakti of 2011 which involved tens of thousands of soldiers and hundreds of T 90, T 72 and Arjun MK I tanks ...

"Almost 50,000 troops, along with 500 MBTs like T-90s, T-72s and the indigenous Arjun, 120 artillery guns, various missiles, rockets, aircraft including Su-30 MKIs, Jaguars, Mig-27s, Mig-21, AWACS, Battlefield Surveillance Radars, Weapon Locating Radars and attack helicopters like the MI-35 took part in the Exercise Sudarshan Shakti."

Indian Military

The first batch of around 124 tanks was manufactured 2 years ago..

WTF are you talking about?!

This picture was taken from the Exercise Sudarshan Shakti of 2011 which involved tens of thousands of soldiers and hundreds of T 90, T 72 and Arjun MK I tanks ...

"Almost 50,000 troops, along with 500 MBTs like T-90s, T-72s and the indigenous Arjun, 120 artillery guns, various missiles, rockets, aircraft including Su-30 MKIs, Jaguars, Mig-27s, Mig-21, AWACS, Battlefield Surveillance Radars, Weapon Locating Radars and attack helicopters like the MI-35 took part in the Exercise Sudarshan Shakti."

Indian Military

The first batch of around 124 tanks was manufactured 2 years ago..

Mate you should realize by now the intention behind the post..

I'm not a tank guy, but some Indian members were telling me that that the Arjun Mk-1 was really bad and the Mk-2 is supposed to address the issues with the first.

I wouldn't say outright problem,the thing about the arjun mk-1 is its good but there are so many little things that can be made much better much much better than its currently.[New thermal imager for gunner and commander,Active protection system,a modular composite armour package for protection on turret side,ability to fire lahat atgm,mine plough,an urban survival kit,better apfsds ammunition]Thats why mk1a and mk2.Mk1a is a temporary stopgap option.Mk2 will be as far as this design can go without structural redesign.The current stopgap ERA package will be replaced by modular composite armour package and urban survival kit,plus an active protection system.These will go on top of the current kanchan armour which is the best thing about the current arjun mk-1.able to withsatnd t-72 and t-90 rounds from point blank range,also withstood israeli APFSDS rounds in trials,but while frontal kanchan armour is superb,the composite armour layer on rear sides is currently not enough,this will be changed and also modular armour package will be added to these areas.But this will also increase weight.The primary development on the stopgap arjun mk1a over the basic mk1 is the Arjun Mk1A prototype comes outfitted with the new digital hunter-killer tank fire-control system, inclusive of a target auto-tracker and a newly-designed commander’s panoramic day/night sight that incorporates an IRIS thermal imager (from France’s SAGEM Défense Sécurité) and an eyesafe laser rangefinder. These optronic sensors are the same as that installed on the IRDE-developed commander’s panoramic day/night sight which is presently undergoing user-trials on board an upgraded T-90S MBT.The most significant force-multiplier (in terms of long-range target detection, identification & engagement) has been incorporation of the IRIS cooled thermal imager on the commander's panoramic sight & the MATIS-STD cooled thermal imager on the gunner's sight. On the upgraded T-90S, the panoramic sight uses the IRIS, while the gunner's sight uses the Catherine-FC thermal imager from THALES.
The next step mk3 or FMBT wil include redesign of the turret and eliminate the 2 structural question marks of the current design.The gunners sight on front of the turret interrupting armour integrity [this is the same in the german leopard 2 upto leopard a4,after that leopard a5 and a6 changed to to turret roof,same will be done here]and the rifled gun[challenger 2 has rifled gun but switching to smoothbore for future.arjun mk-3 will do the same].

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
The original leopard 2 design,later modular armour packages were added.Very similar to arjun mk1.
Arjun design was based on leopard 2,and u can see both have gunners sight on turret front.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here this is the new leopard 2a4 modular armour kit.
Arjun mk2 will be similar to this.But thats as far as this structural design can go.
Leoparda4 will still have a deadlier gun and far better apfsds ammo.

The next arjun mk3/FMBT will change the structural problem on the basic arjun design,putting gunners sight on turret roof and changing from rifled gun to smoothbore gun for longer gun barrel life and better ability to use APFSDS ammo.It will also have a seperate ammo compartment most probably.

Not at all, a look at the MK.1 against some of its contemporaies:

P5200036.JPG

Doesn't fair to badly at all! And this is the MK.1 version- the MK.2 will kick some serious behind!

i was also wondering about the weight thing..we cant position it against china..

Why not? It can be airlifted by the IAF's fleet of C-17s, the IA has special rail carriages for it or it can be driven by road on the back of a wagon.

Back
Top Bottom