What's new

Anyone recognise these photographs?

This was taken in 1931 at the Lido. I can be sure of this because my father was in India between 1930-1934 and he annotated all of these particular photographs.

The second one is the Airship Shed at Drigh Road

Mr Graham you are quick in posting pictures but my replies are slow since I consult my uncle whose heavy narrations take a lot of time and then I extract a reply. Anyhow I am replying to you post with the pictures of King Faisal.
He is King Faisal II of Iraq who became the King in 1953 after attaining the age of 18. He was assassinated in 1958. He and his father King Faisal I, both were mandated by then British Govt.
Regarding the Base in your pictures, has a great history. It is one of the three units RAF established in Subcontinent in 1918. It was the detachment of RAF Aircraft Repair Depot, Lahore and itself became the RAF Aircraft Depot, India in 1922. It seems logical due to its close proximity to Karachi port. It served as RAF Station, Drigh Road till 1947 and supported RAF till Western frontiers.
After our Independence in 1947 the Base became RPAF Station, Drigh Road and a British Officer, Group Capt S C Elworthy took over as the Station Commander. Incidentally he rose to become the Chief of the Air Staff of RAF and later Chairman of British Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee and the Chief of Defence Staff (I hope the appointments are written correctly).
With the declaration of our country to be an Islamic Republic in the beginning of 1950s, the base became PAF Station, Drigh Road. In 1977 it was renamed as PAF Base Faisal, Karachi. It was in the memories of King Faisal (assassinated in 1975) of Saudi Arabia who was near and dear to Pakistani Nation.
Till date the Base has its importance for Pakistan. It maintains much of the Infrastructure of British days but has added a lot to maintain its importance.:pop:

Back
Top Bottom