What's new

Any truth that India is a dirty country?

I am not talking about sanitation. I am talking about the lack of proper infrastructure, unorganized streets, chaotic roads erc. Despite this, the people still don't see why the country should develop and they think it's already a perfect paradise.

Exactly, health is another massive issue India had and the treatment of women.

I have to admit I don't understand why India cannot be a lot cleaner than it is. I've been away a lot but do visit India several times a year and many parts. The most illiterate person is running around with multi-sim cell phones, has a satellite dish and tv access, seems to find public transportation to any where, home cooked meal is dirt cheap ... yet regardless of level of affluence I have seen people spit in public spaces. This does not take infrastructure!

We can build a trillion toilets - but can anybody actually use a toilet that is so dirty? I cannot even go near the toilets in trains because it just stinks!

I firmly believe that a large number of Indians do not believe in keeping their surroundings clean. They double and triple clean their own little apartments or huts every day and then simply toss the garbage out into public space. So it becomes someone else's problem.

AND THAT IS WHY WHAT MODI HAS DONE IS BRILLIANT! Instead of covering up this bad trait he has through the light on the problem - youngsters and children are now growing up with a sense of shame about open-air toilets, spitting, garbage etc.

There is hope

I will add a couple of other things:

1) In crammed hutments it is impossible to have a toilet inside the hut for obvious reasons. Unless there is running water and closed drainage flow, how do we expect these hut dwellers to live in their hut and still put up a toilette? It is wrong to see this as a toilet problem because it is actually an affordable housing problem.

2) In villages when people go out into the fields, I have found it is less to do with affordability or space - rather, it is to do with closed drainage and running water. The village houses mostly have wells and pumpsets, annd there is no drainage system. Instead of building 'septic tanks' they simply use the fields

Last edited:
That is indeed shocking, but India is a democratic country is it not?

Well politics are dominated by elite class/brahmins. For exemple not long ago couple of dalit girls in Delhi went outside to defecate. Some brahmin men raped and killed them and got away with it. Brahmins are kind of like gods for average Indian hindu, its forbidden to put them behind jail.

Well politics are dominated by elite class/brahmins. For exemple not long ago couple of dalit girls in Delhi went outside to defecate. Some brahmin men raped and killed them and got away with it. Brahmins are kind of like gods for average Indian hindu, its forbidden to put them behind jail.

That is why I feel a sense of ecstasy when I read that the Mughals forces some brahmin to clean toilets.

Wow really? That actually happened? But Indians say they are tolerant of all people? And you are saying that women in India are treated like second class citizens? Is this true? And what's a dalit?

Wow really? That actually happened? But Indians say they are tolerant of all people? And you are saying that women in India are treated like second class citizens? Is this true? And what's a dalit?

Dalit is like native indian american and brahmin is white american.

But aren't these the same people as the 1.2 billion citizens of India? What's the difference that they are treated in this way?

Brahmins are small minorty but since they brought hindusism, for average hindu which is dalit they are gods. They believe brahmin is born from Shiva mouth while dalits are born from Shiva feet.

Back
Top Bottom