What's new

An Important question to all Chinese

Seeing the Chinese development in Shanghai in a span of just 20 years should jolt us as Indians. While I never agree with communism as a form of governance - you have to credit them for their awesome achievements in urban development, planning and most of all execution. Indians love to plan - they just don't bother executing infrastructure projects.

Stay away from trolling at every opportunity. This thread is largely free of BS and your unnecessarily sarcastic comments just might start another war of words.

I don't see how my comment is sarcastic or starting another war of words. Just simply correcting a Viet from his misinterpretation about the origin of the song. He is the one who is talking about copying/stealing songs from China and other things :D I suggest you read carefully before pointing a finger at me for starting anything.

Thanks for opening this 'copycat' door. Now we can examine modern day China and see how much the Chinese 'copycatted' from the West. So tell us, the PLA salute the same way Western militaries do. Why?

@gambit In your mind China copies everything but you forget that China is a very innovative country something i can't say about Vietnam. So if you think PLA copies the western way of saluting then everyone must be copying the western way of using the middle finger or that Hitler copied from the Italian fascist's way of saluting but changed the style a little bit. Be more creative next time and use other examples rather limb expressions.

The only people who have any capacity to challenge the west is East Asia. Japan, Korea, Taiwan, and China. I fail to see how the middle east and South Asia fit into this. And East Asian nations hate each others guts.

Take away China, japan, Korea, and it's western domination of the product markets.

I would argue that the history of the Middle East and North Africa is greater than China.

What was the west doing when Egypt was building the Pyramids?

Great Pyramid of Giza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What was the west doing during the Islamic Golden Age?

Islamic Golden Age - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would argue that the history of the Middle East and North Africa is greater than China.

What was the west doing when Egypt was building the Pyramids?

Great Pyramid of Giza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What was the west doing during the Islamic Golden Age?

Islamic Golden Age - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you take a cumulative list of all Arab achievements and western ones. Im sure the west will come out on top.

And East Asians have shown a far greater adaptability to new technology than they have. In the 1940's the empire of Japan was producing its own aircraft carriers. They have yet to accomplish that in 2012.

Why does China not assist Muslim Asian countries such as Indonesia and BD?

We are not anti-Chinese and would take China's side over that of the West any day of the week.

Indonesians are historically anti-Chinese (see Indonesian anti-Chinese pogroms of 1998 and 1965). There is no popular support among Chinese to massively help Indonesians. We'll help to a limited extent, but that's it. Indonesians have to bear responsibility for their anti-Chinese behavior and history.

China does have programs to help Bangladesh (see citation below). I also suspect it is one of the reasons China hasn't dammed the Yarlung Zangbo/Brahmaputra river. I don't think China is particularly concerned about the effect of damming on India, but Bangladesh might take a hit. Hence, China is proceeding very slowly in damming the Yarlung Zangbo river.

Regarding the broader issue that you raised, China will avoid a war of civilizations with the West. Chinese aren't big on waging large scale wars. China tends to fight only if there is no other realistic choice. The West would have to threaten China (such as approaching the Yalu River) to incite a response from China.

At its core, China is a trading country. It is not imperialist, like pre-war Germany. You have two very different countries with drastically different personalities. If the West leaves China alone, China will leave the West alone.

----------

Bangladesh gets boost from China investment

"Bangladesh gets boost from China investment
By Syed Tashfin Chowdhury
Apr 24, 2012

DHAKA - China has agreed to make the second-biggest investment by any nation in Bangladesh by contributing two-thirds of the US$659 million construction cost of fertilizer factory in Sylhet. The remaining funds will be from Bangladesh.

The Shahjalal Fertilizer Factory, once complete in about three years, will produce around 580,800 tonnes of urea annually and around 330,000 tonnes of ammonia, cutting by more a third the 1.6 million tonnes of urea Bangladesh has to import every year. Three more fertilizer factories are to be built within Bangladesh soon, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina said late month as she laid the foundation stone at Sylhet, flanked by cabinet ministers and Chinese Ambassador in Bangladesh Li Jun.

This is the "second-largest foreign investment" by any country in Bangladesh, a senior official at the Bangladesh industries ministry said."

@gambit In your mind China copies everything but you forget that China is a very innovative country something i can't say about Vietnam. So if you think PLA copies the western way of saluting then everyone must be copying the western way of using the middle finger or that Hitler copied from the Italian fascist's way of saluting but changed the style a little bit. Be more creative next time and use other examples rather limb expressions.
Sure...How about uniforms? What happened to the oh-so-chic Mao suit? Why is that not useful enough to serve as a uniform for the military, after all, it was useful enough for the masses, right? There are plenty of room on the Mao suit for a dictatorship's generals and admirals to festoon themselves with all kinds of doo-dads. So why did the PLA go with the Western style get up?

Indonesians are historically anti-Chinese (see Indonesian anti-Chinese pogroms of 1998 and 1965). There is no popular support among Chinese to massively help Indonesians. We'll help to a limited extent, but that's it. Indonesians have to bear responsibility for their anti-Chinese behavior and history.

China does have programs to help Bangladesh. I also suspect it is one of the reasons China hasn't dammed the Yarlung Zangbo/Brahmaputra river. I don't think China is particularly concerned about the effect of damming on India, but Bangladesh might take a hit. Hence, China is proceeding very slowly in damming the Yarlung Zangbo river.

Regarding the broader issue that you raised, China will avoid a war of civilizations with the West. Chinese aren't big on waging large scale wars. China tends to fight them only if there is no other realistic choice. The West would have to threaten China (such as approaching the Yalu River) to incite a response from China.

At its core, China is a trading country. It is not imperialist like pre-war Germany. You have two very different countries with drastically different personalities.

China is DAMMING it. slowly or fast. So how slow? in 1000 years. or in 10 years.

dont make fools of simple Bengali.

Stick to the topic not about Vietnam, otherwise derailing the thread will result in infractions given.

Inflation... $2000 in the 70s is about $4400 today given a 2% inflation rate.

I was very young in the 1970s. China's performance has exceeded all of my expectations.

Deng Xiaoping had only hoped China would achieve a $2,000 per-capita GDP by 2020. This year, China will have a nominal $5,899 per-capita GDP. China is ten years ahead of Deng Xiaoping's most optimistic projection.

1. I was fortunate to see Taiwan industrialize before my eyes (during the 1980s and 1990s) when I returned to periodically visit.

2. I was lucky to see the United States at the zenith of its power in the 1970s and 1980s. It was the "land of milk and honey" and not the highly indebted country that we see today.

3. China has industrialized non-stop for 30 years. It has traversed the same road as Taiwan, but on an unimaginable scale. (I was in China during the 1990s on business and saw miles of cranes firsthand.)

I feel like one of the luckiest people in the world, because I saw history unfolding in all three regions with my own eyes.

Short of a global thermonuclear war or extinction-level asteroid strike, nothing can prevent China from becoming the world's largest economy (circa 2020) and the most powerful military (circa 2030 or 2040).

----------

References:

http://books.google.com/books?id=259WHxBah2wC&pg=PA2&lpg=PA2&dq=deng+xiaoping+china+%22$2,000+gdp+in+2020%22&source=bl&ots=S2PJ7SGuvk&sig=9lmAp3EEIngRfwfIU5JPiwMLiiU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=XAAtUKWAE4Tt0gGv5IHADg&ved=0CEgQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=deng%20xiaoping%20china%20%22%242%2C000%20gdp%20in%202020%22&f=false

List of countries by past and future GDP (nominal) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IJN has become a history. Today's Japan is nothing but US's puppy dog, a UK on the other side of the World Island...

If you take a cumulative list of all Arab achievements and western ones. Im sure the west will come out on top.

And East Asians have shown a far greater adaptability to new technology than they have. In the 1940's the empire of Japan was producing its own aircraft carriers. They have yet to accomplish that in 2012.

Martian2 & Timetravel stick to the main topic otherwise it will derail the thread.

The original Chinese plan was to build up ASEAN economically and technologically to become the Chinese version of Europe (e.g. a close American ally). That plan went straight to hell. Vietnam and the Philippines, where China built dams, have shown they are willing to stab China in the back as soon as possible.

I'm pretty sure the CCP has gone back to the drawing board and the strategic goal of building Asian countries into prosperous and powerful countries has been thrown out the window. It would be insane to transfer technology and invest large sums of FDI to create strong Asian countries to oppose Chinese strategic goals.

We're back to leaving ASEAN countries in a technologically backward and economically fragile state. China will have to keep using less leverage and compromise with the Americans and Europeans. One against two isn't an optimal situation.

It would have been preferable to have two (China plus rich ASEAN) against two (America and Europe). However, it is better than one against three (including ungrateful backstabbing ASEAN).

I think China will pursue a more nuanced approach and build up Cambodia, Laos, and African countries. I'm betting that's where Chinese technology and money are headed.

LOL.

You are quite an ignorant poster aren't you?

China has already opened it's massive market to BD. BD's exports to China in apparels are rocketing as we speak. It seems a deliberate Chinese policy to make BD less dependent on the West.

We would like China to take that a little further and transfer technology and greater capital as not only would that make as stronger but would give them stronger allies. BD people are anti-India and anti-West anyway and so would be automatically side with China against these two.

China really has no issue with Muslims unlike some others.

And why do you have a Muslim monument as your avatar since you are clearly anti-Muslim?

ASEAN, China to become top trade partners
Updated: 2012-04-20

Chinadaily

0013729e447a10fb038c04.jpg

The members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations will together become China's top trading partners within the next three years, a trade organization predicted on Wednesday.

During that time, trade between China and the association, also known as ASEAN, will increase at a faster rate than that between any two other major economies, said the China Council for the Promotion of International Trade.

"Thanks to zero tariffs, preferential trade policies and geographic advantages, both the increasing speed and scale of that trade will be in the forefront globally and ASEAN will become China's No 1 trading partner by 2015," Zhang Wei, vice-chairman of the trade organization, told China Daily during the Sixth Chinese Enterprises Outbound Investment Conference held by the council.

Driven by soaring market demand, the value of trade between China and ASEAN countries is expected to exceed the goal of $500 billion by 2015, Zhang said.

ASEAN is made up of Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.

China has a free trade agreement with ASEAN. Taking effect in January 2010, it established the third-largest free trade area in the world, just behind the European Union and the North American Free Trade Area.

Xu Ningning, executive deputy secretary-general of the China-ASEAN Business Council, said the free trade agreement has greatly benefited ASEAN.

Last year, ASEAN overtook Japan to become China's third-largest trading partner, having $362.3 billion in trade with the country, up 24 percent from a year earlier.

China had $446.6 billion in trade with the United States in 2011 and $567.2 billion with the EU in the same year.

China's trade is increasing rapidly with emerging economies at a time that it is slowing down with developed countries.

Data from the Ministry of Commerce show that the value of trade between China and the EU increased by 2.6 percent year-on-year in the first quarter of 2012, and trade with Japan declined by 1.6 percent in the same period. Trade between China and ASEAN increased by 9.2 percent in the first quarter.

"China's trade with ASEAN will increase faster than with the US and EU, and ASEAN is likely to become China's largest trading partner in the coming years," said He Weiwen, co-director at the China-US-EU Study Center at the China Association of International Trade.

He attributed the trade momentum between China and ASEAN to the country's increasing imports from the Southeast Asian bloc.

Zhang of CCPIT said the Chinese market has a strong demand for farm produce, mechanical processing and marine products, and those make up the bulk of ASEAN's exports to China.

China, the world's largest exporter and the second-biggest importer, plans to rely less on exports in coming years, and to drive its economy by encouraging its population to buy more.

The ministry said China will encourage importers to buy more from countries that have free trade agreements with China, such as Pakistan, New Zealand and ASEAN members.

Premier Wen Jiabao has vowed to import more from ASEAN.

"China would like to further expand imports from ASEAN and we hope enterprises from ASEAN members can gain a greater market share through the newly established Sino-ASEAN Goods Trade Center," Wen said during the China-ASEAN Business & Investment Summit in October.

He Weiwen, from the China Association of International Trade, said the country should develop its trade with neighboring countries while maintaining stable growth in trade with the US and EU.

During a visit to China, Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra praised China's role in the ASEAN economy.

"China is an engine of economic growth that can help spur the development of the entire region," Yingluck said.

baochang@chinadaily.com.cn

‘Pakistan, China cooperating in space tech

defence.pk

China boosts Africa ties with $ 20 billion credit pledge

defence.pk

China gives $16mn aid to Somalia

defence.pk

African Union opens Chinese-funded HQ in Ethiopia

defence.pk

China canceled $30 billion in debts by 35 African countries

defence.pk

China-bulit railway debuts in Saudi Arabia

defence.pk

Bolivian satellite operators to be trained in China
07-24-2012
cntv.cn

China Expands Space Power Through International Cooperation
Posted by Doug Messier on December 29, 2011

www.parabolicarc.com

International Exchanges and Cooperation

2. Major Events

Since 2006, China has implemented international space exchanges and cooperation in various forms. It has signed a number of cooperation agreements and memoranda on the peaceful utilization of outer space with a host of countries, space agencies and international organizations. China has taken part in relevant activities sponsored by the United Nations and other relevant international organizations and supported international space commercial cooperation. These measures have yielded positive results.

Bilateral cooperation

– China has established a long-term cooperation plan with Russia through the mechanism of the Space Cooperation Sub-committee under the Prime Ministers’ Meeting between Russia and China. The two nations have signed a number of cooperation agreements on space science, deep-space exploration and other areas, and their national space administrations have opened representative offices mutually. In the field of human spaceflight, the two nations have also carried out many cooperation projects.

– China has undertaken extensive cooperation with Ukraine under the Space Cooperation Sub-committee mechanism of the Sino-Ukrainian Cooperation Commission, and the two sides have signed the “Sino-Ukrainian Space Cooperation Program.”

– China and the European Space Agency (ESA) have signed the “Status Quo of China-Europe Space Cooperation and the Cooperation Plan Protocol” under the mechanism of the China-Europe Joint Commission on Space Cooperation. The two sides cooperated closely during the lunar exploration missions of Chang’e-1 and Chang’e-2, and signed the “Agreement on Mutual Support for the TT&C Network and Operation” in September 2011.

– China and Brazil, through the mechanism of the Space Cooperation Sub-committee of the Sino-Brazilian High-level Coordination Commission, have worked out a comprehensive bilateral space cooperation plan, actively promoted the research and development of the China-Brazil Earth resources satellites, continued to maintain data consistency of their Earth resources satellites and expanded the application of their data into regional and global application.

– China has signed a cooperation framework agreement on space and marine science and technology with France under the mechanism of the Sino-French Joint Commission on Space Cooperation, aiming at developing bilateral cooperation on astronomic satellite, ocean satellite and other satellite programs.

– China and Britain have established a joint laboratory on space science and technology, jointly organized a seminar on space science and technology, and conducted exchanges on lunar exploration, Earth observation, space science research and experiment, personnel training and other areas.

– China has signed a framework agreement with Germany on bilateral cooperation in the field of human spaceflight. Under the framework, the two countries have carried out a cooperative experiment project on the Shenzhou-8 concerning space life science.

– The director of the U.S. National Aeronautical and Space Administration (NASA) visited China and the two sides will continue to make dialogue regarding the space field.

– China has signed a memorandum of understanding on technological cooperation in the peaceful utilization and development of outer space with Venezuela, and the two nations have established a technology, industry and space sub-committee under the China-Venezuela Senior Mixed Committee. Under this framework, the two nations have promoted bilateral cooperation in communications satellites, remote-sensing satellites, satellite applications and other areas.

– China has signed the “Cooperation Agreement on the Application, Exchange and Distribution of Meteorological Satellite Data” with the European Organization for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites (EUMETSAT), to promote the sharing in and application of meteorological satellite data.

– China has actively promoted the extensive applications of Earth observation satellite data with various countries. China has given to many countries free receiving stations for meteorological satellite broadcasting systems and comprehensive systems for meteorological information analysis and processing. With China’s help, a data receiving station of the Sino-Brazilian Earth Resources Satellite Program was established in South Africa, and another station for receiving environmental and disaster data from Chinese satellites was set up in Thailand. China has provided related earth observation satellite data products to the above-mentioned countries.

– China has implemented international exchanges and cooperation with a number of countries in frequency coordination, compatibility and interoperability, applications and other international exchanges and cooperation in the area of satellite navigation systems.

Multilateral cooperation

– China has taken part in activities organized by the United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space (UN COPUOS) and its Scientific and Technical Sub-committee and Legal Sub-committee.

– China has signed relevant agreements with the United Nations on disaster management and emergency response based on the space-based information platform. A Beijing office of the program has been established. Through this office, China has provided drought risk-monitoring products to the “Horn of Africa,” and contributes to the regional disaster mitigation effort by offering training, capacity building, data service, disaster emergency response, QDGS (Quick Draw Graphics System) and other services.

– China has cooperated with the space institutes of various countries through the mechanism of the “International Charter on Space and Major Disasters.” Through this mechanism, satellite data support was provided to the Wenchuan earthquake, the forest fire in Australia and other major disaster relief work.

– In 2008, the Asia-Pacific Space Cooperation Organization (APSCO) was established with the joint effort of Asia-Pacific nations. Under the APSCO frame, the Chinese government actively participates in the cooperation and study of various projects, including the development of a space data-sharing platform, its demonstration and application; an Earth-based optic space target observation network; compatible navigation terminals. China assisted APSCO in the formulation and release of its policy on small satellite data in Asia-Pacific multilateral cooperation, and has promoted space cooperation in the Asia-Pacific region.

– China participates in activities organized by the International Committee on Global Navigation Satellite Systems, International Space Exploration Coordination Group, Inter-Agency Space Debris Coordination Committee, Group on Earth Observations, World Meteorological Organization and other inter-governmental international organizations. China has also developed multilateral exchanges and cooperation in satellite navigation, Earth observation and Earth science and research, disaster prevention and mitigation, deep-space exploration, space debris and other areas. China’s Beidou satellite navigation system has become one of the world’s four core system suppliers accredited by the International Committee on Global Navigation Satellite Systems, and will gradually provide regional and global navigation and positioning service as well as strengthened compatibility and interoperability with other satellite navigation systems. China will do its best to host the Seventh Meeting of the International Committee on Global Navigation Satellite Systems in 2012. The nation’s independently developed space debris protective design system has also been incorporated into the protection manual of the Inter-Agency Space Debris Coordination Committee.

– China takes part in activities organized by the International Astronautical Federation, International Committee on Space Research, International Academy of Astronautics, and other non-governmental international space organizations and academic institutes. It has also organized a series of international academic conferences, including the Global Lunar Conference, and has fostered discussion and exchanges in deep-space exploration, space debris and other issues.

Commercial activities

China actively promotes the participation of Chinese enterprises in international commercial activities in the space field. China has exported whole satellites and made in-orbit delivery of communications satellites to Nigeria, Venezuela and Pakistan; provided commercial launch services for the Palapa-D satellite of Indonesia and the W3C satellite of Eutelsat, and signed commercial satellite and ground system export contracts with Bolivia, Laos, Belarus and other countries.

3. Key Cooperation Areas

In the next five years, China’s international space exchanges and cooperation will be mainly in the following areas:

– Scientific research on space astronomy, space physics, micro-gravity science, space life science, deep-space exploration, space debris and other areas.

– Applications of Earth observation satellites in environment and disaster monitoring, global climate change monitoring and forecasting, marine monitoring and other areas.

– Applications of communications satellites in broadcasting and television, long-distance education, telemedicine and other areas.

– Applied technological cooperation, research and development of terminal equipment, reinforced facility building, specific industrial services and other areas of satellite navigation systems.

– Technological cooperation on a space lab and a space station in China’s human spaceflight program; space science research and experiments and other areas.

– Space TT&C cooperation, support and others.

– Commercial satellite launch service, import and export of whole satellites, satellite parts and components, import and export of ground test equipment, and building and service of satellite ground TT&C and satellite application facilities as well as related services, etc.

Probably because they themselves are trying to solve their "Muslim" problem. For the love of all things sane--please do some research before you proceed to declare your un-dying loyalty and admiration.

Don't you think India has got a far far bigger “Muslim” problem?Riots、mass murders,and the burning-down of hundreds of villages?

Now I can see you are not matured enough to face the reality of Indian growth. You are just good for internet humour.

Indian growth?What Indian growth?65 years after independence and inheriting all the infrastructure、legal system and governance etc。left behind by the Brits,India is still a TINY economy at some 1.6 trillion US dollars:barely 6 Hong Kongs or less than 2 Guangdongs。:azn:

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom