What's new

An Important question to all Chinese

Chinese technology helping African farmers boost production
Monday, 02 July 2012

africanfarming.net

Scientist from China have been utilising agricultural technology in two African countries in order to reverse desertification and improve local agricultural production

A group of 10 Chinese agricultural scientists from the Desert Control Research Institute (DCRI) of Gansu have been carrying out a water resource preservation programme in Niger and Nigeria.

"The scientists are conducting research and offering technical training in the provinces of Niamey, Dosso, Tahoua, Maradi and Zinder in south Niger and the state of Kano in Nigeria," said DCRI research team member Ji Yongfu.

According to the Chinese team, the techniques of using nylon nets to stabilise sliding sand dunes and planting corns by digging tunnels to store rainwater are being applied in Africa.

They exuded confidence that the tested farming methods could help corn crops withstand sandstorms and droughts, in turn improving the agricultural yields of local residents.

"This corn-planting technique can help residents store more rainwater, which is quite precious here, as it keeps the evaporation at the lowest level," Yongfu added.

Niamey, the capital of Niger, has been facing constant sandstorms, with the areas near the southern shore of Niger River being severely affected.

Yongfu explained, "We investigated the vegetation on the southern shore, checked the damage brought by sandstorms and the protective measures used by locals. We offered farmers advice on controlling quicksand and protecting vegetation through grazing bans."

The agricultural scientists have constructed a 1,000-square meter stabilising nylon net and taught Nigerian farmers in the Zinder province to build them.

"We used local materials to build pillars that were inserted into the sand dunes, and then attached the net to the pillars. This created a wall against moving sand," Yongfu revealed.

The Chinese team have collected meteorological data and samples of plants growing in the Sahara Desert to facilitate their study of the region's ecology.

The agricultural scientists, along with their Nigerian counterparts have established a climate observation station and a 10-hectare experimental zone for desertification control experiments in the country.

"The methods implemented in the African continent have proved successful in China's Gansu province, and could help local villages reap greater harvests this year, Yongfu stressed.

The scientists said Africa needed to increase investment in agricultural technology and improve infrastructure in order to boost the development of agriculture and animal husbandry.

China had started sharing agricultural technology with Africa from 2011, when it signed a memorandum of cooperation with Kenya, to expand rainwater recycling systems in the country's drought-prone areas.

India turns to China for grain storage expertise

defence.pk

China sends medical team to treat epidemic in Cambodia
(Xinhua) July 13, 2012

BEIJING, July 12 (Xinhua) -- A Chinese medical team has been sent to Cambodia to aid in alleviation of an outbreak of EV71, an intestinal virus, the Ministry of Health said Thursday.

peopledaily.com.cn

China deploys medical ambassadors to Africa

By Maverick Chen China.org.cn, August 11, 2011

.....More than 1,100 Chinese doctors and nurses are currently stationed overseas in 50 China Medical Teams in 48 countries, with 42 in Africa alone, said Wang Liji, Deputy Director-General of the Ministry of Health's International Cooperation Department, which oversees foreign medical deployments......

China sent its first medical team to Algeria in 1963. Since then, Chinese doctors have treated 260 million patients in 65 developing countries

China.org.cn

Don't know about you lot,I for one am gonna get this iPhone beater at the earliest possible time。:azn:

China's homegrown smartphone firm, Xiaomi, takes on market with low-price strategy

Xiaomi's newest smartphone will be priced at 1999 yuan (US$315), less than half of similar high-end devices are being offered for in China

By Michael Kan | 16 August 12

When Chinese company Xiaomi ended the Thursday unveiling for its second-generation smartphone, the audience, numbering in the hundreds, gave a standing ovation.

The enthusiastic response was not for the device's quad-core processor, its high-definition touchscreen or its new localized OS. It was for the phone's no-contract price, finally revealed to be 1999 yuan (US$315 ), less than half the amount rivals Apple, Samsung, HTC are offering their handsets for.

"Xiaomi is meant to give you a fever for life," said the company's CEO Lei Jun during the event, expressing the excitement around the product.

In a time when China's smartphone market is already filled with competitors, Xiaomi has stood out by building handsets with high-end specs for low prices. The strategy has not only worked, but helped garner the company a special level of popularity, with some in the media calling Xiaomi China's answer to Apple.

The fervor for the company was on full display this Thursday, when company fans, clad in Xiaomi orange shirts, yelled and clapped in support as each feature of the newest phone was detailed. Equipped with a quad-core 1.5GHz processor from Qualcomm, along with a 1280 by 720 pixel touchscreen at 342 pixels per inch, the Xiaomi M2 features cutting-edge specs to rival the latest flagship phones on the market.

Setting it apart from competing devices is the Xiaomi M2's aggressive pricing. A year ago, the company used the same price, 1999 yuan, for its first generation phone, which reached 300,000 pre-orders in two days.

In contrast, Apple's iPhone 4S starts at 4988 yuan, while Samsung's Galaxy SIII 16GB version is at 4999 yuan under no-contract pricing.

It's unclear what profit margins Xiaomi earns from smartphone sales, if any. But one year after releasing its first smartphone, Xiaomi has achieved a strong public following with its pricing strategy, while focusing on strong marketing and selling its product through online sales, said Nicole Peng, an analyst with research firm Canalys.

"They have established a very strong brand awareness," she said. "I think from a year ago, no one expected that they would do such a great job."

Founded in 2010, Xiaomi is run by former executives from Microsoft, Google and Motorola, and has received US$347 million from investors. Along with its hardware, the company has also made a localized OS for its phones, called MIUI, which is based on Android and is a cornerstone to the Xiaomi's business. Every week, the company provides an updated version of MIUI with new enhancements, which can be downloaded to user's phones.

But despite it's popularity, Xiaomi is still far from reaching the sales of smartphone heavyweights like Samsung in China. While the company's first generation smartphone has hit a total of 3.5 million sales, its smartphone market share for the first half of this year was less than 5 percent, according to Canalys. Samsung, on the other hand, led the market in this second quarter, with a 17 percent share, while domestic companies ZTE, Lenovo, and Huawei trailed behind.

Xiaomi's newest phone, however, could further shake up China's smartphone market, putting additional pressure on its competitors, according to experts.

"Overall, I'm impressed with the phone based on the specifications," said Teck-Zhung Wong, an analyst with research firm IDC, who attended the Xiaomi M2's unveiling. "Fans really do seem to love it up and the company seems to have a strong start."

How the company is able to price its product so low was not explained during Thursday's event. But Wong, who was surprised by the pricing, said Xiaomi was likely able to convince its suppliers give them good deals on components and manufacturing.

Fans of Xiaomi were also impressed. In attendance at the event was Luis Lu, 26, who said he will probably buy the handset, after previously purchasing the first generation phone, at a price of 1499 yuan.

"At first, I felt the Xiaomi device wasn't as good as the iPhone. But after I used it for a while, I realized it didn't have much of a difference with the iPhone," he said.

Lu said he also felt Xiaomi was learning from Apple in the way it introduces its new products and focuses on building brand awareness. On Thursday, the company also unveiled an updated version of its first generation smartphone called the Xiaomi 1S, the S standing for Super.

"Xiaomi has become very influential in China," Lu said. But while Xiaomi's newest phone offers high-end specs, Lu said the phone's user experience and localized OS are what he liked the most about the product. "The hardware isn't always the most important," he said. "More important is the user experience."

The Xiaomi M2 will launch in October. It comes with 2GB RAM, 16GB memory, a rear-facing 8 megapixel camera, and a front-facing 2 megapixel camera. Built with a 2000 mAh battery, the phone is also installed with a Chinese localized version of Android 4.1.

Read more: China's homegrown smartphone firm, Xiaomi, takes on market with low-price strategy - PC Advisor

China and India need not be complacent with the recent success. There is still lot more to be done. They are still not where they can claim the no 1 position. US still rules the world. Next 2-3 decades will make picture more clearer, or they could also end up like Japan,Germany or Soviet Union.

Man stop comparing yourself with China and making others laugh at you.

Now I can see you are not matured enough to face the reality of Indian growth. You are just good for internet humour.

If there is real growth everybody will see till then keep dreaming.

If you take a cumulative list of all Arab achievements and western ones. Im sure the west will come out on top.

And East Asians have shown a far greater adaptability to new technology than they have. In the 1940's the empire of Japan was producing its own aircraft carriers. They have yet to accomplish that in 2012.

This thread is not about Muslims/Arabs v/s China.

You can take your trolling elsewhere...

@gpit
@Martian2
@all Chinese

Pls do not post endless nonsense about Vietnam and its people!

Again, the Vietnamese don´t hate China and its people. I never heard that our government encourages or teaches the people to hate China and its people.
Like many Vietnamese, I have Chinese as relative, as friend, as neighbor, as co-worker. Yes, we are familiy members. Like any familiy member one hates bad attitude and loves good behavior. It´s normal.

Hostility or even a new confrontation with China is the last what we want!

@gpit
@Martian2
@all Chinese

Pls do not post endless nonsense about Vietnam and its people!

Again, the Vietnamese don´t hate China and its people. I never heard that our government encourages or teaches the people to hate China and its people.
Like many Vietnamese, I have Chinese as relative, as friend, as neighbor, as co-worker. Yes, we are familiy members. Like any familiy member one hates bad attitude and loves good behavior. It´s normal.

Hostility or even a new confrontation with China is the last what we want!

Talking is one thing but your government's hostility towards us is written on every wall!

Swift Chinese relief for Haiti displays sympathism, wins applause
2010-01-17
By Yu Zhixiao, Zhang Hua
xinhuanet.com

China, UN offer aid to quake-hit Chile

China.org.cn

Chinese-made crane ready for rescue of Chilean miners
(Xinhua)
Updated: 2010-10-11
Chinadaily

Setting Rivalry Aside: China Responds to Japan's Plight
By JUSTIN BERGMAN / SHANGHAI Monday, Mar. 14, 2011

TIME

China increases flood relief aid for Pakistan

http://tribune.com.pk

The above lists of China's aids to foreign countries in this and previous posts are not exhaustive. The cases quoted are those which can be easily found on search engines!

The scale of industrial and economic development in China is unprecedented in world history. Think raising 1 billion people out from poverty, damn if that is not an achievement what is?

I have a question for our Chinese members? Do you think Chinese will become an international language as English is today? I am considering acquiring the language...

The scale of industrial and economic development in China is unprecedented in world history. Think raising 1 billion people out from poverty, damn if that is not an achievement what is?

I have a question for our Chinese members? Do you think Chinese will become an international language as English is today? I am considering acquiring the language...

Putonghua (spoken Chinese) is a melodic, poetic language. It is hard for foreigners. It will not replace English anytime soon but its popularity is growing!

Watch these:

The 10th Chinese Bridge Chinese Proficiency Competition

The above are designed for contestants of foreign universities worldwide. The competition is now in its 11th year running.

There is an almost identical competition held annually as the above but it is scheduled for foreign students studying in China. It is now in its 5th anniversary. The preliminaries are held at major university campuses of China . The qualified contestants will converge in Beijing for the final. Here are some examples (at the 5th Chinese Bridge in progress this year) :

Urumqi, Xinjiang :

Dalian, Shandong:

Xiamen, Fujian

Nanjing, Jiangsu:

Shanghai

The official website: bridge.Chinese.cn

Last edited by a moderator:

In the short term, I doubt it. Chinese is a difficult language, because you have to memorize every word. Like Shuttler said, you need to know the phonetic pronunciation before you can look up the word.

English is a simple alphabet-based language. It is easy to learn, but difficult to master due to the rule exceptions.

However, we do not know the long-term outcome. If Chinese technology overtakes the U.S. and let's say China's economy is three times the size of the United States in 2075 then Chinese could become an universal language.

By the way, the reason you gave for learning Chinese is similar to the motive for American elites to teach their children Mandarin/Chinese. It looks like China will dominate business in the future and learning Chinese is a good idea if you're interested in international business or working for a multinational corporation.

Personally I prefer the old Shanghai. The new Shanghai looks modern but boring (sorry!) like any other modern city in the world. The people in Vietnam love the old Shanghai. There is a famous Chinese/Vietnamese song about the city.

Standing in Shanghai bund you can see two Shanghai. Old Shanghai on one side and new Shanghai on the other. Here is a picture I took of old Shanghai. China has taken care to preserve the old Shanghai. You can still see all the old buildings very well preserved without any modern building blocking the view.

OldShanghai.jpg

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom