What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

Considering the role uav are going to have / are having it’s not wise to downgrade Altay just to get something out. Even the US army has ordered 500 tanks of the same type as the kaplan to use on battlefields where abram is too heavy. Cities, tropical climate etc.

I would love it if we could find a use for the kaplan.

Considering the role uav are going to have / are having it’s not wise to downgrade Altay just to get something out. Even the US army has ordered 500 tanks of the same type as the kaplan to use on battlefields where abram is too heavy. Cities, tropical climate etc.

I would love it if we could find a use for the kaplan.

With the introduction of Hard/Soft kill protection systems, weight-saving composite armour and improved metallurgy. I don't see a bright future for heavy MBTs.

The future is definitely leading to a more compact and agile weapons platforms with increased automation; 2-3 men crew with AI software to detect possible threats from available sensors on and off-board the vehicle in combat zones.

IMO 250-350 Altays should be the limit. Work should begin on the next generation at 200 Altays

With the introduction of Hard/Soft kill protection systems, weight-saving composite armour and improved metallurgy. I don't see a bright future for heavy MBTs.

The future is definitely leading to a more compact and agile weapons platforms with increased automation; 2-3 men crew with AI software to detect possible threats from available sensors on and off-board the vehicle in combat zones.

IMO 250-350 Altays should be the limit. Work should begin on the next generation at 200 Altays

Why new Altays, why can’t kaplan serve that role ?

That is what I am thinking and it’s already developed. There are probably room for some adjustments and upgrades. Plus we would not have to wait for its development or production for that matter. In city warfare if you need a tank this would have all that’s needed.

Cant the kaplan be used as an infantry fighting vehicle/hybrid medium tank??

We have the following options:

IFV
  • Kaplan 20
  • Kaplan 30
  • Tulpar IFV
  • Pars 6x6
  • Pars 8x8
Light & Medium tank
  • Kaplan MMWT
  • Tulpar Light Tank

I hope we purchase some of these. I think the light tanks would be awesome for fire support when capturing cities. If we can install APS and good reactive armor then these would be great additions to our land forces.

In my opinion the entire Kaplan series should be purchased and used in conjunction with each other for urban environments.

Then the Altay should be used in conjunction with the Tulpar for open battlefields. This is how it was intended to be by the way. The Tulpar was supposed to accompany the Altay.

Imagine this working together with the Kaplan MMWT:

Last edited:
An overall explanation of kaplan and the benefits of a medium tank. In turkish.

https://www.aa.com.tr/tr/ekonomi/turk-kaplaninin-taliplileri-artiyor/1726200#

IFV
  • Kaplan 20
  • Kaplan 30
  • Tulpar IFV
  • Pars 6x6
  • Pars 8x8
Light & Medium tank
  • Kaplan MMWT
  • Tulpar Light Tank

I hope we purchase some of these. I think the light tanks would be awesome for fire support when capturing cities. If we can install APS and good reactive armor then these would be great additions to our land forces.

In my opinion the entire Kaplan series should be purchased and used in conjunction with each other for urban environments.

Then the Altay should be used in conjunction with the Tulpar for open battlefields. This is how it was intended to be by the way. The Tulpar was supposed to accompany the Altay.

Kaplan mmwt is what we’re talking about. And wondering why TSK isn’t ordering some.

I wonder why the writer of this piece doesn’t release an english version.

https://www.defenceturk.net/kaplan-mt-ve-dusundurdukleri

IFV
  • Kaplan 20
  • Kaplan 30
  • Tulpar IFV
  • Pars 6x6
  • Pars 8x8
Light & Medium tank
  • Kaplan MMWT
  • Tulpar Light Tank

Honestly seeing these stuff I really do hope Battlefield returns back to modern times and have the Turkish armed forces in the game.

They now have the hardware to actually feature in a game.

Turkiye has some nice hardware crazy how far the industry has come. Nobody would ever thought these stuff would be built.

Why new Altays, why can’t kaplan serve that role ?

We still need the firepower of Altay, the 120mm L55 can penetrate all armoured vehicles in our region. Whereas, the 105mm cannon that would be the ideal candidate for a medium weight tank would not. Unless they can find a way to keep weight low and manage recoil effects of 120mm L55 cannon...

We still need the firepower of Altay, the 120mm L55 can penetrate all armoured vehicles in our region. Whereas, the 105mm cannon that would be the ideal candidate for a medium weight tank would not. Unless they can find a way to keep weight low and manage recoil effects of 120mm L55 cannon...
Cockerill has a 120mm cannon that can fit on Kaplan. Aselsan can develop something similar.

Wouldn’t tb2 and atmg be able to do that. It’s not like we won’t have altays, but with the recent developments I think kaplans will be sufficient.

It is very possible to put 120mm gun onto TULPAR which chassis weights 30tons.

Here is the Polish example of 120mm gunned light tank ANDERS which is identical to Otokars TULPAR.
When your vehicle is lighter , there are more alternatives of engines.

Also note the APS.

ANDERS_120mm_Light_Expeditionary_Tank_Obrum_Bumar_Poland_Polish_defence_industry_military_technology_005.jpg

ANDERS_120mm_Light_Expeditionary_Tank_Obrum_Bumar_Poland_Polish_defence_industry_military_technology_003.jpg

ANDERS_120mm_Light_Expeditionary_Tank_Obrum_Bumar_Poland_Polish_defence_industry_military_technology_004.jpg

I find light tanks with front sided engines more useful than with rear engines.

120mm caliber gives advantage of kinetic energy however Today's modern propellents and warheads increase velocity and penetration of 105mm rifled gun.

Edit : how pitty we forgot legendary FV 9040-120

Last edited:
Same also. We need a extra enforced hull same level with armata + 120mm L-55 turret. Thats heavy for kaplan hull and his powerpack.

Tulpar/Kaplan IFV are not heavy weight tanks. Who is we, and why you think you need enforced full.

IFV
  • Kaplan 20
  • Kaplan 30
  • Tulpar IFV
  • Pars 6x6
  • Pars 8x8
Light & Medium tank
  • Kaplan MMWT
  • Tulpar Light Tank

Pars is not really an IFV, its more troop transporter (APV).

It is very possible to put 120mm gun onto TULPAR which chassis weights 30tons.

Here is the Polish example of 120mm gunned light tank ANDERS which is identical to Otokars TULPAR.
When your vehicle is lighter , there are more alternatives of engines.

Also note the APS.

ANDERS_120mm_Light_Expeditionary_Tank_Obrum_Bumar_Poland_Polish_defence_industry_military_technology_005.jpg

ANDERS_120mm_Light_Expeditionary_Tank_Obrum_Bumar_Poland_Polish_defence_industry_military_technology_003.jpg

ANDERS_120mm_Light_Expeditionary_Tank_Obrum_Bumar_Poland_Polish_defence_industry_military_technology_004.jpg

I find light tanks with front sided engines more useful than with rear engines.

120mm caliber gives advantage of kinetic energy however Today's modern propellents and warheads increase velocity and penetration of 105mm rifled gun.
Instead why don't we put 120mm guns on the Otokar or FNSS 8x8 APCs like the Japanese Type-16 Mobile Combat Vehicles? FFS, I know that I2m not a general or anything but sometimes I don't get the KKK doctrines...

Type-16
japanese-mcv.jpg

Stryker Mobile Gun System
Exercise_Allied_Spirit_I%2C_Day_5_150117-A-EM105-337.jpg

There are many other examples of it. Instead of producing thousands of Altays to replace old tanks, why don't we produce 250-300 Altays, modernize Leo 2A4s and M-60TMs and replace the rest of our old tanks with these?

Otokar Arma 8x8 APC has a version with the 105mm gun turret, why don't we make a turret with a 120mm gun?
Remember the battlefield is changing fast nowadays, many countries not only just put 105 or 120mm guns but they also put ATGMs on them.

Back
Top Bottom