What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

Boron Carbide is in use on Al khalid 2 as well.

Its also used in AK Is armour .. somebody i think @Dazzler posted the video.. 
At 11:02, see Boron carbide cutting in various sizes...... A hint of possible AK, AZ armour

It must be remembered that HIT makes a variety of Carbides/ armour composition such as Aluminium carbide, Boron carbide and Silicon carbide to name a few.

Boron and tungsten carbide are used in Burlinton Armour composition, also known as Chobham armour.

Documentary: Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT) & Pakistan Ordnance Factories (POF) - Pakistan Army - YouTube

another link for Boron carbide manufacturing in our reactors since 80s...

http://www.e-polymers.org/journal/papers/tyasin_170408.pdf

Turkey Mulling 'Big Team' for Tank Production | Defense News | defensenews.com

Nov. 14, 2013 - 07:23PM

bilde

Turkey may add several companies in a 'big team' to participate in serial production of the next-generation Altay. (File)

ANKARATurkey’s top procurement planners may reshape the industrial strategy for serial production of the Altay new generation tank by creating a “big team” of several companies, including foreign ones, rather than leaving Otokar as prime contractor.

The planners are weighing the merits of awarding a multi-billion dollar contract to such a team, which industry sources said could involve several foreign companies in technology transfer.

Turkey’s national tank program foresees the eventual manufacturing of the Altay by a local company or companies under a serial production program, but foreign companies could take part in various components, most notably its engine, armor and complex systems integration.

Turkey’s armored vehicles maker, Otokar, has designed and is producing four prototypes of the Altay in a deal to sell four 250-unit batches to the Turkish military. The Turkish Army has 720 German-made Leopard 1 and 2 tanks, 930 American M-60s and 1,370 M-48s, most of which are Cold War-era tanks and need replacement.

In 2008, Otokar signed a US $500 million contract with Turkey’s procurement office, the Undersecretariat for Defense Industries (SSM). SSM selected South Korea’s Hyundai Rotem for technical support system and command, control and communications information system.

State-owned MKEK was selected as the subcontractor for the 120mm primary weapon, while Roketsan will provide the armor.

“We will place our first order in early 2014,” said SSM’s chief, Murad Bayar.

Bayar said production planning for the Altay had not yet been made.

“We are thinking about a large consortium of players for the Altay, including military production plants ... like a cooperative,” he said.

Otokar has produced the prototypes under a contract, but it does not have a contract for serial production which, technically speaking, keeps the deal open to other players.

“As far as the serial production deal is concerned, we would not be keen to change the company that has developed and produced the prototypes. Although selecting a producer other than Otokar is possible, I don’t think this would make much sense,” Bayar said.

Otokar is owned by Turkey’s biggest business conglomerate, Koc Holding, whose defense business may be a casualty of a row between Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan and one of its top executives after a month of civil unrest that battered the Turkish government. In one incident during June demonstrations, protesters tried to escape police tear gas and pepper spray by taking refuge in a posh Istanbul hotel, Divan, owned by Koc. Hotel management admitted the protesters to its lobby, but police fired more tear gas and pepper spray into the hotel lobby, although it is illegal to fire these chemicals into indoor spaces.

It was reported that Ali Koc, a board member and family member, had ordered the hotel to help the protesters. On June 16, an angry Erdogan said in a rally: “We know which hotel owners helped terrorists [protesters]. It is a crime to abet terrorists. And those crimes will not remain unpunished.”

On Sept. 26, a defense industry executive committee that oversees procurement decisions and is chaired by Erdogan scrapped a $2 billion corvette deal with RMK Marine, a Koc shipyard.

Meanwhile, procurement officials said Turkey was negotiating with Japan for a joint engine that would power the Altay. Talks with the German engine-maker MTU also continue.

“Talks with the Japanese are quite fresh, and we hope they would progress quickly,” said one official familiar with the Altay tank program.

@Casus Belli
Finally something new from Altay thx for sharing...
I liked the firing test footage.. :yahoo::enjoy:

And the winter test in Sarikamis is also really meaningful... It makes me proud that things have changed today...

Last edited:
@Casus Belli
Finally something new from Altay thx for sharing...
I liked the firing test footage.. :yahoo::enjoy:

And the winter test in Sarikamis is also really meaningful... It makes me proud that things have changed today...

05:21 Firing Tests

but´s it´s not finished and never Combat Proven or something Else ? We will see Altay´s fate in the Future but it´s seems not something else that will good. It´s a Weapon for Destruction and nothing else.

I hope but it will a Useful thing then a Crap.

Altay the Biggest Project of Undersecretariat for Defence Industries of Turkey will show with the Finished Altay where they can go & make.

05:21 Firing Tests

but´s it´s not finished and never Combat Proven or something Else ? We will see Altay´s fate in the Future but it´s seems not something else that will good. It´s a Weapon for Destruction and nothing else.

I hope but it will a Useful thing then a Crap.

Altay the Biggest Project of Undersecretariat for Defence Industries of Turkey will show with the Finished Altay where they can go & make.

I dont know what you mean, are you beeing pessimistic or what?

I dont know what you mean, are you beeing pessimistic or what?

If they Fail with the Altay ,then i have nothing more to say.

Im talking about the Future which is a Very Important Point for Turkey & TSK.

It doesn´t looks good !

If they Fail with the Altay ,then i have nothing more to say.

Im talking about the Future which is a Very Important Point for Turkey & TSK.

It doesn´t looks good !
Why? Is there something wrong with Altay?

Why? Is there something wrong with Altay?

Why Altay ? It´s to early to say something about a Unfinished Project with One Wheel more then a K2 and a Turret that looks not like the Same.

You can only Wait.

Why Altay ? It´s to early to say something about a Unfinished Project with One Wheel more then a K2 and a Turret that looks not like the Same.

You can only Wait.
So why are you saying it doesnt look good?

Boron carbide and all carbides are brittle. means can be smashed in a high pressure the better solution is the Boron nitride since it's not brittle and the alumina since it's one of the hardest material now this is a mere info absolutely the experts know how to deal with its fragility if some one had more info about how they overcome it share since we get some info makes us confused.

Back
Top Bottom