What's new

Afghanistan-Pakistan border war(s) in the 60s?

ThunderCat

Reaction score
I read that were was at least one actual border war between Afghanistan and Pakistan during the 60s in which the Pashtun battalion of the Pakistan defeated Afghanistan's invading forces.

Does anyone know exactly what year(s) this happened in? I can't seem to find any sources? Can anyone please provide some that contain the details of this incident. Thanks alot

I read that were was at least one actual border war between Afghanistan and Pakistan during the 60s in which the Pashtun battalion of the Pakistan defeated Afghanistan's invading forces.

Does anyone know exactly what year(s) this happened in? I can't seem to find any sources? Can anyone please provide some that contain the details of this incident. Thanks alot

@Hyperion :smokin:

I cant find the exact link (also posted in DAWNs today-50 years back section... or something)... but here is a related link:

Pakistan Air Force used its fighter jets to destroy the mortar and machine gun positions used by the Afghan troops. These positions were being used to by the Afghan troops to attack two Pakistani posts of Miskinai and Sangpura in the Bajaur area.

Pakistani Federal Minister for States and Frontier Regions, Lt-Gen K.M. Shaikh informed the media that Afghan Askaris were firing at Pakistani posts of Miskinai and Sangpura and security personal on these posts returned inkind with their own guns and motor.
Pakistan Air Force Destroys Invading Afghan Forces | Pakistan Military Review

You should know the meaning of the word WAR.

Just because there is some shooting on the border does not mean a WAR.

Heck that does not even classify as a BATTLE.

You could call it a border disturbance.

We have those kind of shootings with Indian Army at least 4 or 5 times a year.

Thanks a lot for the response DF. I think this is what I was looking for. And also some mentions of it in a book by Ahmed Rashid as well. If you guys find anything else on this, please share here. Thanks again.

I cant find the exact link (also posted in DAWNs today-50 years back section... or something)... but here is a related link:

Pakistan Air Force used its fighter jets to destroy the mortar and machine gun positions used by the Afghan troops. These positions were being used to by the Afghan troops to attack two Pakistani posts of Miskinai and Sangpura in the Bajaur area.

Pakistani Federal Minister for States and Frontier Regions, Lt-Gen K.M. Shaikh informed the media that Afghan Askaris were firing at Pakistani posts of Miskinai and Sangpura and security personal on these posts returned inkind with their own guns and motor.
Pakistan Air Force Destroys Invading Afghan Forces | Pakistan Military Review

This goes back to 1955, that's when out embassy in Kabul saw our flag being taken down, burnt and insulted. The flag of Pashtunistan being raised. Daoud Khan, the PM of Afghan then fully supported this movement against us.

Only in 1960-1961 did fighting begin, Afghan irregulars made their way into FATA and the tribesmen fought them back, butchered em' and made them retreat.

Then in May 1961, the Afghans sent in regulars in to Bajaur, and this time the army got in involved, Ayub Khan announced it and even the PAF took part, once more butchering the Afghans.

Then more clashes happened in autumn 1961. After which in September 1961, almost all ties between us and them were cut.
Pakistani consulates in Afghanistan closed. Daoud Khan acted by personally trying to confront and warn Ayub Khan. Ayub Khan, continued nonetheless.

We then blocked many supplies in to Afghanistan, trade routes, aid routes. Even banned travel for some of them.
This led to tough times for the Afghan economy. In fact, they even had to enlist the help of the soviets, to air lift supplies in to Kabul.

http://yalejournal.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Article-Gartenstein_Ross-and-Vassefi.pdf (see page 42)

Afghanistan Pakistan Crisis 1961-1963

The Wars of Afghanistan: Messianic Terrorism, Tribal Conflicts, and the ... - Peter Tomsen - Google Books

They were measuring the response of tribesmen on pakistani side, they sent a small tribal lashkar to bajaur which were engaged by bajaur scouts (FC). Pakistani air force then dropped bombs on those afghan tribesmen who then retreated back as per instructions. It was not a war, just a border skirmish.
Not all the across border incursions and skirmishes were sponsered by afghan governament. Kharotis used to attack wazirs due to the historical enmity between two.
Afghans used the same tactic in 1919, they took advantage of WW1 and entered their regular army as well as tribal lashkars into FATA to "liberate" FATA and NWFP. To the their shock and surprise, tribals of FATA refused to lend them support . The scouts and rifles (now FC) engaged afghan army and lashkars untill british army arrived. Only mehsud responded to afghanistan's call for support, they started heavy attacks on british forces in waziristan, lifting the pressure from afghan army who then inflicted heavy casaulties on british.
@Armstrong

They were measuring the response of tribesmen on pakistani side, they sent a small tribal lashkar to bajaur which were engaged by bajaur scouts (FC). Pakistani air force then dropped bombs on those afghan tribesmen who then retreated back as per instructions. It was not a war, just a border skirmish.
Not all the across border incursions and skirmishes were sponsered by afghan governament. Kharotis used to attack wazirs due to the historical enmity between two.
Afghans used the same tactic in 1919, they took advantage of WW1 and entered their regular army as well as tribal lashkars into FATA to "liberate" FATA and NWFP. To the their shock and surprise, tribals of FATA refused to lend them support . The scouts and rifles (now FC) engaged afghan army and lashkars untill british army arrived. Only mehsud responded to afghanistan's call for support, they started heavy attacks on british forces in waziristan, lifting the pressure from afghan army who then inflicted heavy casaulties on british.
@Armstrong

A Border Skirmish is a War when you enter into Pakistani Territory; just because those worthless people have a romanticized version of a Loy Afghanistan doesn't mean that Pakistani Pukhtoons buy into that or the Government of Pakistan will entertain that !

At any rate this was one of many such skirmishes; had they kept their filthy minds in check & not tried to set fire to the house of another they might not have suffered what they did in the past 30 years beginning by inviting the Russians in to strengthen their Government & to further their BS agenda !

A Border Skirmish is a War when you enter into Pakistani Territory; just because those worthless people have a romanticized version of a Loy Afghanistan doesn't mean that Pakistani Pukhtoons buy into that or the Government of Pakistan will entertain that !

At any rate this was one of many such skirmishes; had they kept their filthy minds in check & not tried to set fire to the house of another they might not have suffered what they did in the past 30 years beginning by inviting the Russians in to strengthen their Government & to further their BS agenda !
Afghans were not paid back by pakistan as you are suggesting. The same daud khan who sent that lashkar, was slaughtered along with his entire family by afghan communists. Those commies set afghanistan on fire, soviets invaded afghanistan because of them....pakistan and america helped the rural masses of afghanistan, nothing wrong with that.
And remember indians also think of you as "worthless", "filthy mind" when you claim their kashmir as your own.

Afghans were not paid back by pakistan as you are suggesting. The same daud khan who sent that lashkar, was slaughtered along with his entire family by afghan communists. Those commies set afghanistan on fire, soviets invaded afghanistan because of them....pakistan and america helped the rural masses of afghanistan, nothing wrong with that.
And remember indians also think of you as "worthless", "filthy mind" when you claim their kashmir as your own.

The difference between Pakistan & Kashmir is that one is a disputed territory whilst the other is an Internationally Recongized Border between two sovereign States & whatever Indians do or do not think of me is of no concern to me just as whatever day dreams the Afghans have or haven't is of no concern to me; the last time they tried their sh*t their country has been reduced to rubble not by me but through their own machinations & the Khalq did stoke up the Loy Afghanistan issue as well & they did start to aggressively posture on the Border Areas with Pakistan hence why they invited the Russians in !

Pakistan is guilty of helping the 'rural masses of Afghanistan' - Those who've been fed & clothed by us for 30 years & still have the insolence of claiming nearly 2/3rd of my territory as their own - Ihsan-Faramoshi ki bhi koi hud-o-hisaaab hoteiii haiii !

But who am I talking to - A nasal parast who is endowed by His maker with such a dim-wit that even years of education hasn't been able to make him think 'logically' & he reverts back to the jahilya that Islam came to finish !

@Armstrong
I have seen real jahilya in rural punjab during my tablighi tours. Mashallah my pashtun brothers are islamizing your punjab back through tabligh just like we did centuries before.
And swati pashtun tribe introduced islam into your kashmir....so dont try to become our "baap"

@Armstrong
I have seen real jahilya in rural punjab during my tablighi tours. Mashallah my pashtun brothers are islamizing your punjab back through tabligh just like we did centuries before.
And swati pashtun tribe introduced islam into your kashmir....so dont try to become our "baap"

Pukhtoons are my People you racists schumuck !

Nasal Parast loggg who go 'Meriiii Ethncity....meriii Nasal....meriii Qaum' are an affront to Islam whether they be from amongst the Punjabis, the Sindhis, the Baluch or the Pukhtoon !

Jo loggg Bhai ko Bhai seh nasalii ya lasani bunayadooon pei elaida karteiii hain unnn ka Pakistan seh aur Islamic Teachings seh koi wastaaaa nahin !

I will post details on Afghan Pakistan border skrimishes , its background and the outcome , all Pakistanis must know about this as much as they need to know about 48,71,65 and 99

Pukhtoons are my People you racists schumuck !

Nasal Parast loggg who go 'Meriiii Ethncity....meriii Nasal....meriii Qaum' are an affront to Islam whether they be from amongst the Punjabis, the Sindhis, the Baluch or the Pukhtoon !

Jo loggg Bhai ko Bhai seh nasalii ya lasani bunayadooon pei elaida karteiii hain unnn ka Pakistan seh aur Islamic Teachings seh koi wastaaaa nahin !
Jo aik pakhtun bhai ko dosray pakhtun bhai sey kafir angraiz ki kainchi hoi durand lakeer par alaida karta hey, uska islamic teachings sey koi wasta nahi

Jo aik pakhtun bhai ko dosray pakhtun bhai sey kafir angraiz ki kainchi hoi durand lakeer par alaida karta hey, uska islamic teachings sey koi wasta nahi

Bhai tum jaa ka ammu dariya ke kanare par nai lakeer bana loo, kon rook raha hai.

Back
Top Bottom