What's new

657 Pilkhana BGB men jailed

Tiki Tam Tam

<b>MILITARY PROFESSIONALS</b>
Reaction score

Six hundred and fifty-seven jawans of 24 Battalion of Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) on Monday sentenced to prison terms ranging from four months to seven years for their involvement in the February 2009 mutiny in Pilkhana headquarters.

A BGB special court acquitted nine of others as allegations against them were not proved.

BGB Director General Maj Gen Rafiqul Islam, head of the Special Court-7, fined each of the convicts Tk 100.

Of the convicts, 108 were handed highest seven years’ jail. Nine were awarded six years, five eight years, three four years and six months, 26 four years, 57 three years and six months, 52 three years, 18 two years and six months, 82 two years, 55 one year and six months, two one year and three months, and 67 one year imprisonment.

Besides, 34 were handed nine months’ jail, 47 six months and the rest 89 four months’ jail......

A huge lot of chaps have been sent into the clink!

Wonder what will be the effect.

good, what are the views of Bangalis on it ?

A hundred taka? Hell, that's how much I tip my driver during late night parties :lol:

This trail really doesn't make any sense.

The real masterminds are still out there. Question is, are they doing anything to catch them or are they too afraid?

Who are the masterminds?

I don't know :confused:

Someone incited those BDR men to cause the mutiny. Some of our most brilliant officers were murdered during those dark hours.

The mutiny was highly organized, it was not some random st!t. I think something or someone of great authority and power pulled that one off. I mean, they were under the command of the country's top brass! How can that even happen?

Many Bangladeshis seem to think the same.

Someone incited those BDR men to cause the mutiny. Some of our most brilliant officers were murdered during those dark hours.

The mutiny was highly organized, it was not some random st!t. I think something or someone of great authority and power pulled that one off. I mean, they were under the command of the country's top brass! How can that even happen?

There were so many versions that were reported when it happened that it was very difficult to understand.

The DG was doing a great job with the BSF in easing the tension or so it was reported.

Then, the Army officers seconded to this organisation has no clue of what was about to take place. That is surprising since anyone who is close to the troops could get an inkling that something was not quite right.

Surprising that even the civil and military intelligence were not aware.

And it could not have been solely for the reasons given at that time like pay etc. (Could you give the details as to what was said at that time for the reason of dissatisfaction?)

And it is not that easy that such a mass revolt can take place without meticulous planning and indoctrination!

I am real curious as to what is the truth.

This means that the official story of BDR soldiers discontent with their leadership which in turn lead to the mutiny is a lie.

Mutiny can occur suddenly like prison riot. There could be some masterminds, but the underlying reasons are more important to avoid reoccurance.

723 jawans jailed for mutiny at Pilkhana

A Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) court on Saturday sentenced 723 jawans of Sadar Rifles Battalion of erstwhile BDR to rigorous imprisonment ranging from four months to seven years for their involvement with the 2009 Pilkhana mutiny.

The Special Court-9 led by Dhaka Sector Commander of BGB Col Md Aheya Azam Khan also fined each of the convicts Tk 100.

Out of total 735 accused, the court today acquitted 10 jawans of the case as allegations brought against them were not proved. Earlier, names of two other accused were dropped from the cases as they died in jail during the trial.

Sixty-four of the total convicts were sentenced to highest seven years' imprisonment.

Among others, one was jailed for six years and six months, 25 were jailed for six years, five for five years and six months, 82 for five years, 88 for four years and six months, 176 for four years, 39 for three years and six months, 64 for three years, nine for two years and six months, one for two years and three months, 51 for two years, eight for one years and six months, one for one years and three months, 53 for one year, 14 for nine months, 23 for six months and 19 for four months.

It was the verdict of the last case filed for Pilkhana mutiny. Trials of total 57 cases filed in connection with the mutiny started on November 24, 2009.

Total 11 special courts -- six for the capital and five for the district-level -- were formed to conduct the trials.

Seventy-four people including 57 army officials were killed during the uprising of February 25-26, 2009..

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/latest_news.php?nid=41825

Back
Top Bottom