What's new

215th anniversary of General Tipu Sultan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sikh guy right, the sword was never put on auction, or if I am mistaken none from pakistan bidded, which was criticized !

No, he's not Sikh. Hindu, judging from the name. He was one of India's richest people until recently. Most of his riches come from "United Breweries", India's largest liquor group. He also ventured into and pioneered the low cost airlines sector in India - Kingfisher airlines. That failed spectacularly, which is why he is no longer one of the richest people.

He is known for his flamboyant lifestyle, including private jets and helicopters, and a dazzling home in Goa (apart from several other homes).

I don't think it was auctioned, it was just a direct monetary purchase from the British crown. It was one of their prized war trophies. The Doordarshan serial based on Tipu's life was titled "Sword of Tipu Sultan", for the symbolic significance it holds.

This hero deserves much more.

A painting of 1780 Anglo Mysore War fought between British and Hyder Ali is displayed at NASA which in turn has recognized Tipu Sultan & his father Hyder Ali as pioneers of modern rocket technology.

View attachment 27203

@Leader
This was the painting I was talking about,which APJ Abdul Kalam had mentioned in his book "wings of fire".
Tipu Sultan is no hero for Indians.

The end of Tipu was very shocking. First, Marathas razed his whole kingdom and burnt everything down. Then, the Maratha ally the British killed Tipu, his two sons and his associates in a very brutal manner.

In his account, Moor tells how the Marathas set ablaze the entire town of Santa Bednur (present-day Santhebennur, distt. Davanegere). In this instance, the Company soldiers had been travelling separately from the Marathas for more than a few days, and the Beydars (also termed Berad, Bedar, Beda and Ramoshi), military allies of Tipu Sultan, had been harassing the Marathas. The passage reads:

"We reached Santa Bednore in two hours, when we were alarmed by the appearance of a body of horse coming hastily toward us, which, although we supposed them Mahratttas, it was necessary to be on our guard against, and we drew up our party between a tank and a building, half a mile southward of the town. Two of our gentlemen, well mounted, rode up to them, and found they were the Bhow’s industrious foragers and looties, who presently came in crowds, and immediately began to plunder the town.

To the westward of the tank, open only to the east, is a building of the same extent as the square of the tank, flat roofed, supported by pillars, and from the flight view we had of it, appears to be of Mahommedan origin. Near it is a column of a single stone, but not, we think, so long in the shaft as those noticed in Baugoor and Naugmungul.

The town of Santa Bednore is of note in these parts, but neither extensive, nor, so far as we could judge, well built. A large gurry and bound hedge inclose the greater part of the town, but the Mahrattas quickly scaled the wall, and the place was in flames, before we lost sight of it.
"

The Marathas ransacked the town of Erroor (present-day Hiriyur, near Chitradurga) after the town had paid ransom to the Marathas. The Bhau had promised protection to this town. The same fate befell Dooridoorg (the author could not identify this town) that was ‘plundered as usual by the Marathas’.

The end of Tipu was very shocking. First, Marathas razed his whole kingdom and burnt everything down. Then, the Maratha ally the British killed Tipu, his two sons and his associated in a very brutal manner.

In his account, Moor tells how the Marathas set ablaze the entire town of Santa Bednur (present-day Santhebennur, distt. Davanegere). In this instance, the Company soldiers had been travelling separately from the Marathas for more than a few days, and the Beydars (also termed Berad, Bedar, Beda and Ramoshi), military allies of Tipu Sultan, had been harassing the Marathas. The passage reads:

"We reached Santa Bednore in two hours, when we were alarmed by the appearance of a body of horse coming hastily toward us, which, although we supposed them Mahratttas, it was necessary to be on our guard against, and we drew up our party between a tank and a building, half a mile southward of the town. Two of our gentlemen, well mounted, rode up to them, and found they were the Bhow’s industrious foragers and looties, who presently came in crowds, and immediately began to plunder the town.

To the westward of the tank, open only to the east, is a building of the same extent as the square of the tank, flat roofed, supported by pillars, and from the flight view we had of it, appears to be of Mahommedan origin. Near it is a column of a single stone, but not, we think, so long in the shaft as those noticed in Baugoor and Naugmungul.

The town of Santa Bednore is of note in these parts, but neither extensive, nor, so far as we could judge, well built. A large gurry and bound hedge inclose the greater part of the town, but the Mahrattas quickly scaled the wall, and the place was in flames, before we lost sight of it.
"

The Marathas also ransacked the town of Erroor (present-day Hiriyur, near Chitradurga) after the town had paid ransom to the Marathas. The Bhau had promised protection to this town. The same fate befell Dooridoorg (the author could not identify this town) that was ‘plundered as usual by the Marathas’.
When you are doing a copy-paste please include the source.

This is the source - The Tyrant Diaries, Part II - Outlookindia.com
The title is very apt.

It requires a very sick mind to enjoy playing with a puppet tiger eating a soldier alive.

When you are doing a copy-paste please include the source.
This is the source - The Tyrant Diaries, Part II - Outlookindia.com
The title is very apt.
It requires a very sick mind to enjoy playing with a puppet tiger eating a soldier alive.
The article shows the Marathas as Tyrants.

Francis Buchanan-Hamilton, appointed Surveyor of Tipu’s provinces annexed by the Company in 1799, asked theamildar (local official) of Sagar, near Shimoga, to compare Tipu and the Marathas. The amildar said and the Surveyor reported thus

"Tippoo’s government, when compared with that of the Marattahs, was excellent; and, notwithstanding all the evils the people suffered from the extortions of the Asophs, and the attacks of invading armies, they enjoyed a comparatively greater security. The government never subsisted by open plunder; whereas among the Marattah chiefs there are very few who do not support their troops by avowed robbery."

Tipu must have fought bravely against British but he was involved in destruction of Hindu temples in Kerala and mass murdering of unarmed Konkani Christians in Serilingapatnam and thus for me he has no greatness.

Sarthak he is a hero in his own rights and I know what you're coming to.
I have credited him for the "Mysore rocket" that his men developed. And he was a brave soldier.
Lets him give due respect where he deserves.
Nope. You can of course consider him such, it is within your rights, but most Indians don't.

Hitler's regime is also credited for great technological advances. The Sonderwaffen program(this includes rockets as well) was genius, but Hitler is not glorified for that.

Also the Mysore rocket battalions - was introduced in India not by Tipu but by Hyder Ali.

I urge you to go to his summer palace and other museums and read his own letters that are neatly kept in glass boxes. I can't consider such a person human, let alone a hero.

The article shows the Marathas as Tyrants.

Francis Buchanan-Hamilton, appointed Surveyor of Tipu’s provinces annexed by the Company in 1799, asked theamildar (local official) of Sagar, near Shimoga, to compare Tipu and the Marathas. The amildar said and the Surveyor reported thus

"Tippoo’s government, when compared with that of the Marattahs, was excellent; and, notwithstanding all the evils the people suffered from the extortions of the Asophs, and the attacks of invading armies, they enjoyed a comparatively greater security. The government never subsisted by open plunder; whereas among the Marattah chiefs there are very few who do not support their troops by avowed robbery."
If you cherry pick a single quote of a British officer, I have nothing to say.

If you don't know, Tipu Sultan is disliked by Hindus and Christians of South India for the kind of religious bigotry and intolerance he showed against Hindus and Christians.
I am aware of that. He was a class A bigot. There is a reason, India hardly remembers him but our beloved neighbor commemorates him.
He was sick and a typical sadist. His grave to this day is undecorated and people completely ignore it. His last stand is now adorned by temples, the fort has been allowed to disintegrate - such is the contempt for him.

If you cherry pick a single quote of a British officer, I have nothing to say.
We all know the Maratha brutality and plundering of the subcontinent that continued for more than a century. You are cherry picking history with bias. If I get time, i will post in detail one day. From Lahore to Madras, from Bengal to Gujarat- no place was left. Looting, raping, destroying religious places, extortion money- Maratha soldiers indulged in everything.

We all know the Maratha brutality and plundering of the subcontinent that continued for more than a century. You are cherry picking history with bias. If I get time, i will post in detail one day. From Lahore to Madras, from Bengal to Gujarat- no place was left. Looting, raping, destroying religious places, extortion money- Maratha soldiers indulged in everything.
You are right. They do it even today. Marathas were the single most evil of all invaders to set foot in India.

If you don't know, Tipu Sultan is disliked by Hindus and Christians of South India for the kind of religious bigotry and intolerance he showed against Hindus and Christians.
yes,he killed and raped thousands of Kerala hindus and Christians,who refused to convert and looted their temples,churches ,homes and burned them....a true hero...

I am aware of that. He was a class A bigot. There is a reason, India hardly remembers him but our beloved neighbor commemorates him.
He was sick and a typical sadist. His grave to this day is undecorated and people completely ignore it. His last stand is now adorned by temples - such is the contempt for him.

He was no less than Aurangzeb in his bigotry. He is fantasized by many in India because of that misleading TV series on Tipu Sultan and we blindly ignore his bigotry only because he fought against British. He committed mass murder of unarmed native Christian civilians in South India and destroyed so many temples in Kerala and targeting Hindus and Christians in Malabar.

Mysorean invasion of Kerala - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Captivity of Mangalorean Catholics at Seringapatam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nope. You can of course consider him such, it is within your rights, but most Indians don't.

Hitler's regime is also credited for great technological advances. The Sonderwaffen program(this includes rockets as well) was genius, but Hitler is not glorified for that.

Also the Mysore rocket battalions - was introduced in India not by Tipu but by Hyder Ali.

I urge you to go to his summer palace and other museums and read his own letters that are neatly kept in glass boxes. I can't consider such a person human, let alone a hero.

You know in our zeal to be on the right or left of Indian politics we 've thrust Tipu to the scrutiny of “Secularism”, “Communalism” and “Nationalism”.... terms that were non existent in 18th century India.
Judging characters of the past by the yardsticks and definitions of today is being grossly unfair to them because the facts don’t fit our straightjacket.
There are some letters written by Tipu to the then Shankaracharya of Sringeri. Incidentally while the Maratha rulers are the icons of Hindu nationalism today during the 3rd Anglo-Mysore War had ravaged Mysore and damaged the very seat of Hinduism the Shankaracharya’s temple in Sringeri and looted its property. And do you know it was Tipu who supposedly renovated the temple??
But yes its true he converted thousands of hindus in the Malabar region and Christians too.I am not denying it.
Religion was used as a tool for cultural subjugation of the conquered some 200 years ago.
Orelse would the Marathas 've plundered Sringeri? Would the Nizam and Tipu not 've been natural allies?
In between black and white is a huge continuum of grey and being as human as any one of us.. Tipu belongs to this zone of grey too.
Historical figures need to be freed from the clutches of contemporary politics and left to academic study by historians and be judged as products of their time and circumstances
And lest we forget that Tipu was a brave soldier who fought till the end.

@abjktu
This should be my reply to your post on "whatever" thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom