What's new

2011 cricket World Cup moving out of India: Reports

Appritiate your concerns:cheers:

But see what lalit modi said.

Lalit Modi is an Indian and he is supposed to say the opposite.

Here we need to look into what the forign players say

Security concerns for foreign IPL players

Players from around the world voiced increasing concerns over security arrangements for the third edition of the IPL even as officials sought to provide reassurances.

“Players remain concerned about the security issues for IPL,” said Graeme Smith, who missed the ongoing ODI series with injury. “This is a big event with lots of different players, stadia, hotels and travel arrangements. The help and assistance we get for this event from our players’ association will be very important to us. Everyone is monitoring the situation closely at the moment.”

Meanwhile, New Zealand’s Shane Bond said he would take a decision on participation closer to the start of IPL. “You have to listen to what everybody says. Because it is still a month, things can change. I'll only make a decision closer to the time I’m due to go,” said Bond, who will play for Kolkata Knight Riders.

Aussie cricketers raised their concerns through their players' association and received assurances that they would be addressed.

“The concerns were about the implementation of security plans that we have in place,” an IPL governing council member told HT. “It's not true that they have problems with the security and no stage have they threatened not to come.” The concerns are thought to centre around co-ordination between various state agencies and private security personnel, as the IPL is set to by played across 12 locations.

“The independent report has identified some serious concerns with aspects of the current security process,” Paul Marsh, the chief executive of the Australian Cricketers' Association said. “Specifically these concerns relate to the reported threat against the event and the status and implementation of IPL’s security plan.

“The process from here is for all players associated to meet with their player groups and for all of us to feed back the concerns raised from these meetings to the IPL,” said Marsh. “This will be coordinated through the Federation of International Cricketers' Associations. We will await a response from the IPL.”

While the BCCI, and by extension the IPL, does not deal directly with players’ associations, Lalit Modi confirmed that all players would be kept in the loop. “The BCCI has always maintained a direct line of communication with other boards,” said Modi. “We work with the boards, and they can then interface with their players' associations. How other boards want to disseminate information is up to them.” Twenty Aussies, 17 South Africans and four New Zealanders play in the IPL.

Security concerns for foreign IPL players- Hindustan Times

Lalit Modi is an Indian and he is supposed to say the opposite.

Here we need to look into what the forign players say

@offtopic:

Well first of all i want to say "HI Bazi" to you but i will say "HI Jana" . bcoz i don't want to hurt such a senior member feeling of PDF(whose so many india bashing comment,artical i m reading from last 2 yrs. even you can say aap ke PDF par commet padh -2 kar hi bada hua hoon so i respect you a lot hahha:p:lol: )
and ofcourse
1.no girl honestly want to call herself a "BAZI".
2.I m a INDIAN Hindu so i will be an "Evil Kafir" for you so how can i use BAZI word for u when u will take it as an insult.SO i will never do even if you insist now to bhi nahi so don't worry .:P

@ontopic:

Lalit Modi is an Indian as well as a CEO of an IPL.
so his opinion(Top level management)(with lot's of others Indian colleagues) or you can say order will most important in IPL than me,you or any others his foreign employee.

Don't forget it is an indian company:lol:.As CEO is saying he will take care of his employees security but if still employee not convinced from his company security where he has to work than either company will fired him.or employee can choose any other company(If available and can fulfill his satisfaction.):P

so bottom line is operation level employees opinion is not as much important(in decision making) as top management level opinion important in a public-private indian company:P

Last edited:
India safe to host World Cup: Haroon Lorgat

New Delhi: ICC chief executive Haroon Lorgat has expressed optimism that all major cricket nations would work in accord to ensure that next year`s World Cup does not get derailed in the wake of growing terror threat to the host country, India.

"The World Cup is the big piece of work that we have to deliver and we intend to do so. The whole issue of security is dynamic, but we will assess it very carefully and implement whatever measures are necessary to ensure safety and security. I do not share the same concerns for India as Pakistan," The News quoted Lorgat, as saying.

Clouds of concern began looming large over next year`s world cup after the leakage of a security report that advises cricketers to seriously consider withdrawing from the Indian Premier League due of credible terrorism threat by Al-Qaeda.

Written by the England team`s security advisor Reg Dickason, the report has been commissioned by players` associations in England, Australia and South Africa.

The report further antagonises relations between IPL commissioner Lalit Modi and FICA chief executive Tim May.

Any major disruption to the IPL would automatically put next year`s World Cup in difficulty, with India co-hosting it with Sri Lanka and Bangladesh as a major party.

However, Lorgat is confident that the ICC`s willingness to work in partnership by setting up security officers in each member nation will maintain unanimity in the build-up to the World Cup.

GB

If he is expecting any VIP treatement from Indians who's own Hockey team has refused to play because their salaries are sooooooo low to shamful level then indeed our Pakistani manager doesnt know the fact about Indian way :P

I think the Pakistani Manager is being a little paranoid.Regular suicide bombings in Paksitan may have taken a toll on him.

pakistan had send a delegation to India a few days ago and they were very happy with the security arrangements made as were officials of other countries.The Pakistani players while interacting with the media after arriving in India had conceded that the security was impressive.

My oh my ... how the tables have turned:coffee::whistle:

Great that you can amuse yourself with others supposed bad times, how much short lived that amusement may be, good for the health of jealous souls..

Aur bolo, baki sab kuch kheriyat?

Damn that sucks, I think what goes around comes around. Indian hand in the attack on the SL team is theorized often to take the WC away from Pakistan.

I think the Pakistani Manager is being a little paranoid.Regular suicide bombings in Paksitan may have taken a toll on him.

pakistan had send a delegation to India a few days ago and they were very happy with the security arrangements made as were officials of other countries.The Pakistani players while interacting with the media after arriving in India had conceded that the security was impressive.

There was a news that due to security risks involved people were not buying tickets for Indo-Pak hockey match.

Dont fool yourself that there is no risk.

Damn that sucks, I think what goes around comes around. Indian hand in the attack on the SL team is theorized often to take the WC away from Pakistan.

:agree::agree: lets see hopefully we wont see an attack by al-Qaeda on foreign players in India.

Why do you guys love to dream so much?

Some "reports" start circulating and some people across the border start jumping around.

Anyways... why do I care? Keep dreaming.

:agree::agree: lets see hopefully we wont see an attack by al-Qaeda on foreign players in India.

If anything... I would be hoping the Shiv Sena does not attack Pakistani players once they reach India to play World Cup.

And regarding other foreign players, don't worry... our armed forces will do their job. Things won't be like the Lahore attack when Pakistani forces ran away from the SL team bus rather than protecting it.

IPL must stay in India to prove we don't dance to terror's tune

Even as you read this, a terror cell is probably planning to target a Premier League game or the NFL's Monday Night Football in the United States. Once you face up to that reality, then it's easy to see why the Indian Premier League won't be moved out of India this year. There are some who'll argue that the switch to South Africa last April set something of a precedent. It didn't. That temporary exile was prompted by the government's refusal to spare the security personnel deputed to ensure that India could go to the polls without the spectre of terror looming over the ballot box.

If you look at the advertising promos for the third season of the IPL which starts on 12 March, the emphasis is very much on the Indianness of the event. Sure, Shane Warne, Adam Gilchrist and Kumar Sangakkara lend some international flavour, but the tagline – Saare jahaan se achcha (Better than the entire world), written ironically enough by Muhammad Iqbal, who later became a proponent of the two-nation theory and Pakistan's national poet – is an uber-patriotic version of Tina Turner's Simply the Best, used to promote everything from HBO to Australian rugby league.

It's become fashionable with some to stick pins into Lalit Modi's voodoo doll at every opportunity, but the stance that he has taken regarding the relocation (or not) of games is perfectly reasonable. Reg Dickason, security advisor to the Indian team, has warned of a "credible" threat from the 313 Brigade in Pakistan. Their very choice of name reveals them to be ignorant apostates. No true cricket-lover would choose Younis Khan's 313, made at the National Stadium in Karachi two weeks before the attack on the Sri Lankan team in Lahore, over Hanif Mohammad's epic 337 or Inzamam-ul-Haq's 329.

Do we seriously expect Modi or other sports administrators to go weak at the knees each time some obscure terror group decides to exercise the speed-dial option? India has the Commonwealth Games to host in October and a cricket World Cup final next March. Admission of any inability to secure the IPL would be tantamount to saying that those events should be moved as well. After all, how many Commonwealth athletes, Usain Bolt apart, are as renowned as a Warne or Sachin Tendulkar?

For decades, sportsmen, journalists and fans alike consoled themselves with the thought that cricket and other sports would be immune to terror. We should have known better. Jamaicans love their reggae and revere Bob Marley, but if you go to 56 Hope Road in Kingston, you can still see the bullet holes in the plaster from an assassination attempt in December 1976. In the aftermath of Lahore, the constant refrain from players was: "We didn't think it would happen to us."

Now that the imaginary magic shield is gone, players must be left to make their own decisions. For every Ricky Ponting who's wary of players journeying to India, there will be someone else like Warne or Matthew Hayden who's convinced that the high levels of security promised by Modi and the organisers are adequate. It's easy to label one group cowards and the other mercenaries. The reality is far more complex.

Threat perceptions vary from individual to individual. I've watched football inside a Turkish stadium without being stabbed and wandered the illegal gun markets of Peshawar unharmed. However, I draw the line at watching Shah Rukh Khan play the poor man's Sean Penn in a multiplex. If Hayden decides that there's decent fly-fishing to be had on the Coromandel coast, fair play to him. If someone else decides that it's too risky to leave a young family behind and journey to Jaipur, scene of a bomb blast during the IPL in 2008, then I respect that too.

You only have to look at the number of politicians and public figures that have fallen foul of an assassin's bullet or bombs to know that perfect security is a pipedream. Even Scotland Yard couldn't protect the Conservative party from the IRA in Brighton a quarter of a century ago. The IPL may be a private league, the plaything of rich men if you believe the cynics, but it's not in India's interest to see it disrupted.

Bill Shankly was half-right when he spoke of football being "much more important" than life and death. Perhaps in no other sphere of human endeavour are the emotions so heightened and even magnified. Would John Terry and Ashley Cole be under the tabloid microscope now if they were merely sleazy businessmen? Why do grown men weep in front of the Munich and Hillsborough memorials, while remaining largely indifferent to candlelit vigils for 11 September or 26 November?

If Modi and friends gave in to the jihadi desparadoes or to some cartoonist-turned-right-wing-loon who doesn't want Australian players in Mumbai, it would be the final indignity, weary resigned acceptance that we all dance to terror's tune. The choice is for each of us to make. We can either be bullied into submission and cower behind the sofa, or we can head to the stadiums and claim our lives back.

I'll be in Mumbai on 12 March, taking my seat as the Deccan Chargers start their defence of the IPL trophy. As for the deluded nincompoops of the 313 Brigade, hopefully someone will disabuse them of the notion that 72 virgins await if they blow themselves to smithereens. Heaven is right here on Earth. I would know. I've watched VVS Laxman bat.

IPL must stay in India to prove we don't dance to terror's tune | Dileep Premachandran | Sport | guardian.co.uk

IPL security backed by India

WHILE Shane Warne is confident that security for the Indian Premier League will be sufficient, at least one Australian player is looking at hiring a private bodyguard to shadow him for the entire tournament.

The bodyguard would come at a substantial expense that would come out of the player's own pocket, but the cost would be more than covered by his IPL fee.

Warne, meanwhile, denied a dust-up with Australian skipper Ricky Ponting during the players' association meeting on Tuesday night to discuss the security concerns for the IPL.

''Everyone is free to voice their opinion, and not everyone thinks the same - there was no heated meeting between me and Ricky. Me and Ricky are good mates. We get along fine,'' Warne said.

''There was a lot of people throwing in their opinions, they were asking a lot of questions to [ACA chief executive] Paul Marsh to get clarity. I think it's healthy if everyone's got the same opinion.

''Everyone was united, No. 1 was security. Once we had all that information then everyone is entitled to make up their own mind, which is the case in any situation we've had over the years.''

One source at the meeting said: ''Lots of guys have different views on this issue. Yes, the two of them were talking a lot during the meeting but by the end of the meeting they were completely fine.''

Warne said the Indian government's backing of the plan devised by Nicholls Steyn and Associates, the company in charge of IPL security, would give players a huge boost in confidence about their safety.

''The government of India have decided they will now get involved and agree to what Nicholls Steyn and Associates [want in place],'' Warne said.

''If the government are prepared to do whatever it takes, if the IPL are prepared to do whatever it takes, then I'm sure the players will feel a lot more comfortable.

''That will give the players comfort, and that was the main aim of the players' association. I think it's going to work pretty well.''

The director of the security firm, Bob Nicholls, said last night: ''We're going through it city by city, the response we've got [from the Indian government] is very positive.''

IPL chairman Lalit Modi said the tournament would survive just fine should international players withdraw due to safety fears.

''The heavens aren't going to fall if that happens. This is an Indian tournament; we have the key Indian players and only a few international players,'' Modi told the BBC.

''We have no worries at all. You have to understand that the market for us is India.

''The tournament is a huge success - we have a huge credibility, we have the top 200 players in the world.

''It's not only dependent on foreign players, although they are part of it.''

Modi said the event would be held in India, come what may.

''I can't see any reason why we should move it at this point in time. The media is reacting to every fringe group saying security is a problem,'' Modi said.

''Nobody in the world can safeguard the safety of the players in any tournament. All we have to do is ensure we are putting on the best security.

''Safety is paramount to us and we are working with the national and state governments to ensure we have good security in place.''

IPL security backed by India

Back
Top Bottom