What's new

2011 cricket World Cup moving out of India: Reports

Shane Warne ready to play in Indian Premier League despite security fears

SHANE Warne says he is ready to play in the Indian Premier League despite mounting security concerns - and denies a fallout with Ricky Ponting over the issue.

While some of the world's best players are ready to boycott the tournament in the wake of a terrorist threat from an al-Qaeda sub-group, the Rajasthan Royals captain-coach said he felt comfortable after speaking to contacts in India.

Warne's mind was eased yesterday when it was revealed the Indian Government had agreed to support measures put in place by the IPL's security contractor, Nicholls Steyn.

"I'll wait until I see the final report, but if that's all happening to what Nicholls Steyn wants, and [Cricket Australia security consultant] Reg Dickason is happy, if all that looks good, then everyone involved in the IPL can go," Warne said.

"I think the development overnight is that the Indian Government is going to get behind Nicholls Steyn, the IPL security people, [and] ramp up security for the players.

"That will give the players comfort, and that was the main aim of the players' association. I think it's going to work pretty well."

Whether Warne's former national teammates agree remains to be seen, although he denied reports of a split between past players such as himself, Matthew Hayden and Adam Gilchrist and Ponting at a security briefing in Sydney on Tuesday.

"There was no heated disagreement between me and Ricky," Warne said.

"We're mates, we get along fine. There were a lot of people asking [Australian Cricketers Association chief executive] Paul Marsh for clarity on some issues. I think that's healthy. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion."

Despite Warne's remarks, the strength of the tournament remains in serious doubt after Dickason tabled unfavourable security reports to player unions in England, Australia and South Africa.

IPL impresario Lalit Modi yesterday mounted a PR offensive when he said the show would go on without international players.

"The heavens aren't going to fall if that happens," he told the BBC.

"This is an Indian tournament - we have the key Indian players and only a few international players.

"We have no worries at all. You have to understand that the market for us is India. The tournament is a huge success - we have a huge credibility, we have the top 200 players in the world.

"It's not only dependent on foreign players, although they are part of it."

Shane Warne ready to play in Indian Premier League despite security fears | The Daily Telegraph

Foreign players happy with security arrangements

NEW DELHI: The security measures put in place for the hockey World Cup on Wednesday got a thumbs up from foreign players who feel the safety arrangements made for the quadrennial event are equivalent to that of Olympic Games.

The run-up to the World Cup, which starts on Sunday, has been marred by security concerns after a militant group issued a terror threat against foreign players visiting India. It even forced a New Zealand striker Simon Child to pull out of the tournament at the last minute.

However, veteran Dutch goalkeeper Guus Vogles, who has two Olympic gold to his credit, said he was extremely satisfied with the security arrangements here.

"I am really happy to be here. The organisers have taken plenty of safety measures and we have no problems with the security issue, we are very comfortable here," said Vogles, who was was a member of the Netherlands team that won back-to-back gold medals at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics and at the 2000 Sydney Games.

"Off course, there is always a threat everywhere in the world not just India, but the security is very good here, little bit similar to the Olympics," the 34-year-old custodian said.

Argentine striker and ace dragflicker Pedro Ibarra seconded Vogles' opinion and said, "We are really happy with the security."

South African forward Marvin Harper said before their departure the national federation was in close contact with the touring Proteas cricket team, which gave them positive feedback on the security scenario in India.

"We (players) did not have any discussion with the cricket team members but I think at the management level they had some exchanges on security situation and received advise on it but the security is sufficient," the 21-year-old said.

In the wake of the concerns, water-tight security has been put in place in and around the national capital that saw mediapersons being restricted from covering the home team's training and practice games at the Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium here, the main venue for the 12-team event.

Foreign players happy with security arrangements - Top Stories - Hockey World Cup - Events & Tournaments - Sports - The Times of India

zaki there are threats to foreign players in India no doubt.

think instead of getting emotional it will better to consider all options by Indians. Because any attack even a botched one on foreign players or venue of Common Wealth Games and Circket world Cup can ruin sports there for a long time to come.

I dont think it will go that way.. Ever thought why despite such a strong terrorist network in the subcontinent, there are rarely any attacks on political heavy weights or foreign dignitories.

Even terrorists know that they need to stay below a threshold. There are obvious exceptions like 26/11 and 9/11 but majorly there are unwritten rules about certain things being out of bound..Attacking an australian or english team will take this to another level all together and we all know who the world will blame...

India had money and muscle before too didn't it ? So how come IPL ended up in South Africa ?

It coincided with the elections in INdia. Sometimes the most obvious answer is the correct answer

Damn that sucks, I think what goes around comes around. Indian hand in the attack on the SL team is theorized often to take the WC away from Pakistan.

Do you have a credible source or evidence of the so called Indian hand or is that a theory too.. ??

BTW, it takes me back to 1980s when Indian media used to find foreign hand behind every mis happeneing in India (read CIA ). Now Pakistan seems to be living thru that....

Lalit Modi hits out at FICA and Ponting | Cricket News | Indian Premier League 2010 | Cricinfo.com

Must say that Lalit Modi is not afraid of the “Non-State Actors” disrupting the IPL Program :

Lalit Modi hits out at FICA and Ponting

Lalit Modi has strongly criticised parties that have expressed concern over the security situation at the IPL, including the Federation of International Cricketers Association and Ricky Ponting.

"We will not be dictated by players associations where to play. DLF IPL will be played in India,"
Modi posted on his Twitter account, in reaction to safety concerns raised by an independent report commissioned by the players' unions in England, South Africa and Australia, which suggested moving the IPL outside India.

The report, written by the England team's security adviser Reg Dickason, said there was a credible terrorist threat to the IPL. The Australian Cricketers' Association had decided to formulate a set of security demands for IPL organisers, following a meeting between Australian players in which Ricky Ponting had apparently clashed with IPL regulars Matthew Hayden, Adam Gilchist and Shane Warne.

"[I've] been told Ricky Ponting is pressuring players not to come. Maybe it's due to the fact he was dropped from KKR," Modi tweeted.

Modi said that individual players could choose to stay away from the IPL, but such a move could risk their future association with the event. "We will allow replacement for those who decide not to show up. They risk being in future IPLs. The call will be theirs. If a few players play into the hands of the FICA and not show up, no issues.

"We allow only four international players per team. [If a] few miss, no issues. We have great talent in each team. More opportunity for replacement to others. We have 98 players on the waiting list eager to get called in for replacement."

Modi refused to recognise the FICA and was critical of the various players' associations that were bringing up security concerns to "arm-twist" the IPL. "I have been sent messages through various quarters to entertain FICA president Tim May. Unfortunately we do not recognise FICA or any agents," Modi tweeted.

Modi cited examples of sports events currently being hosted in India, such as the India-South Africa series, the hockey World Cup and the upcoming India-Australia series that have not come under security threats like the IPL has.

"South African players are touring India as we speak - security is fine for them now as provided by the Indian government. Australia tour India in October - will the Australian Cricketers' Association dictate them not coming then? Doubt it," Modi tweeted.

No point in posting colorful, big headlines. Just prevent terrorist incidents from taking place on your home soil and you'd be good. Remember a terrorist incident during the World Cup is going to just end up being the worst thing for India and you really don't want that happening.

wellll im glad that india also get the taste of their own medicine they always wanted to isolate pakistan cricket and its tours i hope that world cup shifts it is in favour of pakistan i hope that india should know also how to be isolated tooo INSHAHALLAH now ipl is rubbish after main players get out what they see retired warne hayden no one is interested in them pakistani players already not playing stupid west indies players no one want to see and waste their money i know some thing bad is coming for india im glad

No point in posting colorful, big headlines. Just prevent terrorist incidents from taking place on your home soil and you'd be good. Remember a terrorist incident during the World Cup is going to just end up being the worst thing for India and you really don't want that happening.

It is not easy to control "Non-State" Actors.

As various Pakistani Leaders have rightfully lamented that Pakistan is suffering far more Terrorist Attacks from its "Non-State" Actors than India suffers.

As such ways have to be found by Pakistan to prevent these so called "Non-State" Actors who are the root cause for the Terrorism being perpetrated by these "Non-State" Actors both in Pakistan and India.

wellll im glad that india also get the taste of their own medicine they always wanted to isolate pakistan cricket and its tours i hope that world cup shifts it is in favour of pakistan i hope that india should know also how to be isolated tooo INSHAHALLAH now ipl is rubbish after main players get out what they see retired warne hayden no one is interested in them pakistani players already not playing stupid west indies players no one want to see and waste their money i know some thing bad is coming for india im glad

I believe Pakistani Cricketers can be eligible for IPL Four!

Enjoy.

no we dont need damn ipl where cricketers picked not by their standards

no we dont need damn ipl where cricketers picked not by their standards

I know! You are so right! No one needs an IPL which does not pick cricketers who dig their teeth into the cricket ball. I'm boycotting IPL this year!

:angel:

Back
Top Bottom