What's new

19 PAF Aircraft to participate in exercise with PLAAF

20170908120602203-png.423872

We see 6 JF-17s and 6 F-7PGs in the image, the rest of contingent no doubt would be made up of Mirages.
Yup mirages...27 sqn zarrars...the below picture is from china and this is the same pilot who flew with ACM when he visited Rafiqui AB
Screenshot_2017-09-08-15-23-21.jpg

Last edited:
The F-7PG in-close is a very tough task, you may have seen the pictures, but you should've read the reporting on the exercise as well, turns out even the USAF pilots were impressed. Back in the era where we had officially no BVR capable fighter aircrafts and our only option was to perfect the art of in-close engagements, the PG's were said to give even the viper pilots a run for their money. Don't underestimate a platform just because of its looks, or generation or how it 'appears' on paper.
The flight time in the air is an issue though.

Heard one of the F-7 drivers was chilling with his cousin at South Korea..heard this from a friend of mine...even though it didn't make sense.
A couple of the PG pilots are also being sent to Korea after the exercise,that's true.

Yup mirages...27 sqn zarrars...the below picture is from china and this is the same pilot who flew with ACM when he visited Rafiqui AB
View attachment 423901

I have never seen paf mirage 5 rose 2/3 with their flir under the nose visible I mean all the time the protective cover is on is this only visible in air and actives by flip of a switch ??

I assume it's Manual and need to be taken off by tech before flight but I have never seen any picture of paf

This flir gives day /night view in hud/hdd perhaps 25 degree while nvg gives all round view

Paf mirage 5 with flir and red protective cover now days the cover is same color as Ac as in the pic above
IMG_1003.JPG

Non paf not sure a mirage but flir like paf mirage

IMG_1004.JPG

Last edited:
I have never seen paf mirage 5 rose 2/3 with their flir under the nose visible I mean all the time the protective cover is on is this only visible in air and actives by flip of a switch ??
I assume it's Manual and need to be taken off by tech before flight but I have never seen any picture of paf
Paf at air show

View attachment 424061

Non paf

View attachment 424062
They've had it for a while. Saw a Mirage at Kamra carrying FLIR back in August 2005.

J-8 was an interesting aircraft basically first gen Chinese bvr platform with no close combat capability max g is 6 with load even lower but first design to house a sizeable radar and better quantity of fuel than previous gen giving it a range but did not attract any foreign buyers its design was obsolete before it became operational or indicated in substantial numbers to make an impact plaaf still flies j-7, j8 and a-5 as second tier but total number is more than 300-400 estimated for an airforce with about 800-1000 fighters

http://www.scramble.nl/orbats

This flir gives day /night view in hud/hdd perhaps 25 degree while nvg gives all round view

Paf mirage 5 with flir and red protective cover now days the cover is same color as Ac as in the pic above
View attachment 424061

Non paf not sure a mirage but flir like paf mirage

View attachment 424062
I think i once saw a photo with visible flir on facebook,didnt bother to save it...hopefully i'll visit Rafiqui AB this month,will try to capture one.

Turbojet is marginally efficient @ supersonic in contrast to turbofans which are all-efficient. Limitations induced at subsonic speeds & extreme altitudes penalizes 7/7pg performance characteristics. There was a good presentation at AiWC on the same subject made by one of our senior engineering coleague. It is not comparable to turbofan jets & not a mini-F16.
The flight time in the air is an issue though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom