What's new

12000 HP Locomotives for Indian Railways

Does the ELW has produced any WAG 9 recently ?
I guess you mean ELW Bhusawal.
They are assembling WAG 9 from kits supplied by WAG 9, so essentially it isn't production work but assembly only.
Another thing, ELW is busy these days with conversion of WCAM 2 and WCAM 3 to 6 Parallel (6P) configuration work under pure AC mode. So not sure if they are in any position to take up assembly work.
maxresdefault.jpg

And that is why Dankuni factory is important as it can start manufacturing WAG 9 without any dependence on CLW.

Also when will BHEL restart producing locos?
Not sure. Right now they are booked heavily with traction orders (IGBT convertors, Squirrel cage induction motors etc) for CLW.

Last edited:
Excerpts from feasibility report submitted by JICA Japan for DFC in India.
The picture depicts packages under which both DFCs are being executed.
Western DFC

View attachment 287434 View attachment 287435
Eastern DFC

View attachment 287436 View attachment 287437

Thanks again sir.

But a question, I think it would have been better if all the major ports near would have been a part of Western DFC, I think Gujrat has Kandla , which is also quite big. It would be highly beneficial if it is a part of it like JNPT.
Or are there plans to connect it with the corridor ?

Also what effect will Eastern DFC will have on the strained NDLS, CNB, MGS,PNBE route? Will the passenger services benefit , which can be observed by a non railfan type person travelling on that route?

Another thing, ELW is busy these days with conversion of WCAM 2 and WCAM 3 to 6 Parallel (6P) configuration work under pure AC mode. So not sure if they are in any position to take up assembly work.
View attachment 285005.

Will all of them be converted to AC? I think not all of Mumbai is under AC.
And they should retain their previous paint job. This doesn't suit them.

But a question, I think it would have been better if all the major ports near would have been a part of Western DFC, I think Gujrat has Kandla , which is also quite big. It would be highly beneficial if it is a part of it like JNPT.
Or are there plans to connect it with the corridor ?
Almost all major ports in Gujarat will get connected to WDFC via feeder routes. I'll some supporting links.
Some of these feeders are being constructed on PPP model and will have a slightly lower track loading capacity of around 22 tons axle loading.

Also what effect will Eastern DFC will have on the strained NDLS, CNB, MGS,PNBE route? Will the passenger services benefit ,
Absolutely.
New Delhi Howrah is most saturated section in country running at an average of +130% above saturation limit, severely affecting train speed and schedule. EDFC and electrification of Saharanpur Lucknow Barauni Guwahati route will free up lot of traffic congestion on main line.

Will all of them be converted to AC? I think not all of Mumbai is under AC.
Except for Harbor line section all traction in Mumbai is now 25 kV AC. Since there is no long distance traction power required on Harbor line, Bi voltage locos have become redundant.

And they should retain their previous paint job. This doesn't suit them.
I too dont like this livery on WCAM2.:no:

Bangaluru?
(I'm guessing by 2 diesel locos in Krishnarajapuram livery)
I have no idea sir. I am a trains lover like you and have a collection of photos of the Indian railways.
Off topic- can we too have a thread on the railway stations in India? I was surfing on a thread yesterday about the railway stations in Pakistan and it was nice to see some history and the present condition of trains and the station in Pakistan.

I have no idea sir. I am a trains lover like you and have a collection of photos of the Indian railways.
Off topic- can we too have a thread on the railway stations in India? I was surfing on a thread yesterday about the railway stations in Pakistan and it was nice to see some history and the present condition of trains and the station in Pakistan.
There are a few scattered threads on pdf on IR. A few started by me are:
Indian Railways Freight Transportation: Past, Present & Future
Indian Railway Photography & Stories
Apart from this one, where we keep on posting a lot of things related to IR Locomotives.
Maybe you can start one thread and tag us along. I'll be happy to contribute :cheers:

img20160114wa0010194562.jpg

@anant_s 30071 and 72 have been decoupled after their transfer from BRC to GZB. I was very excited for this transfer as I thought soon we will see a Rajdhani being pulled by the twins. But alas.

Bangaluru?
(I'm guessing by 2 diesel locos in Krishnarajapuram livery)

Any link which runs on WAM 4 of WAT or BZA which serves YPR ? That can answer the query maybe There is a WAM 4 too...

Last WAP 4

View attachment 287770

With 25051 and 28770 (WAG 7), the production of DC motor (HS 15250), Tap Changer Locomotives ended in India.
@AndrewJin
Though I really don't understand English railway terms here:(, thanks for tagging me and sharing these wonderful photos on IR. (Don't hesitate to tag me again though I don't know what does "tap changer" refer to)
Could u tell me the recent update of Delhi-Agra semi-HSR service?
Any plan of upgrading other railways?

Railways to manufacture dual-mode locomotives that run on diesel, electricity

PTI | Jan 17, 2016, 01.18PM IST

NEW DELHI: In a first for Indian Railways, diesel locomotives will soon haul trains by drawing power through overhead wires on an electrified route, with the public transporter embarking upon manufacturing dual-mode engines.

"We will be manufacturing dual-mode locomotives to run trains on diesel and also by drawing power through overhead wire on electrified route," said a senior railway ministry official involved in the project.

Railways will manufacture five dual-mode locomotives of 4500 horse power (HP) capacity each at Diesel Locomotive Works in Varanasi as a pilot project.

Though similar locomotives are operational in the US and South Africa, it will be a first in India, the official said.

Currently, 52 per cent of total trains are on diesel traction. Diesel locomotives are generally replaced by electric engines on electrified route causing delays.

"However, with the acquisition of dual-mode locos, there will be no need for changing the locomotive for electric traction as the same diesel engine will be utilized on electrified route," he said.

A dual-mode locomotive is estimated to cost about Rs 18 crore, while a 4500 HP diesel locomotive costs about Rs 13 crore.

The proposal has been forwarded to the Research Design and Standard Design (RDSO), the research wing of Indian Railway, to finalize specifications.

"After the RDSO approval, DLW will be manufacturing five such locos on a pilot basis. The locos will be pressed into service on certain electrified routes on a trial basis," said the official.

The dual-mode locomotive will be heavier than the diesel locomotive and is expected to run at a maximum speed of 135 km per hour.

A diesel locomotive is a type of railway locomotive in which the prime mover is a diesel engine, while in an electric locomotive, the engine moves on power drawn through a pantograph mounted on the roof of the train.

Pantograph is an apparatus mounted on the roof of an electric train, tram or electric bus to collect power through contact with an overhead wire.

Railways to manufacture dual-mode locomotives that run on diesel, electricity - Times of India

Why did it take so long, @anant_s ?

Railways to manufacture dual-mode locomotives that run on diesel, electricity

PTI | Jan 17, 2016, 01.18PM IST

NEW DELHI: In a first for Indian Railways, diesel locomotives will soon haul trains by drawing power through overhead wires on an electrified route, with the public transporter embarking upon manufacturing dual-mode engines.

"We will be manufacturing dual-mode locomotives to run trains on diesel and also by drawing power through overhead wire on electrified route," said a senior railway ministry official involved in the project.

Railways will manufacture five dual-mode locomotives of 4500 horse power (HP) capacity each at Diesel Locomotive Works in Varanasi as a pilot project.

Though similar locomotives are operational in the US and South Africa, it will be a first in India, the official said.

Currently, 52 per cent of total trains are on diesel traction. Diesel locomotives are generally replaced by electric engines on electrified route causing delays.

"However, with the acquisition of dual-mode locos, there will be no need for changing the locomotive for electric traction as the same diesel engine will be utilized on electrified route," he said.

A dual-mode locomotive is estimated to cost about Rs 18 crore, while a 4500 HP diesel locomotive costs about Rs 13 crore.

The proposal has been forwarded to the Research Design and Standard Design (RDSO), the research wing of Indian Railway, to finalize specifications.

"After the RDSO approval, DLW will be manufacturing five such locos on a pilot basis. The locos will be pressed into service on certain electrified routes on a trial basis," said the official.

The dual-mode locomotive will be heavier than the diesel locomotive and is expected to run at a maximum speed of 135 km per hour.

A diesel locomotive is a type of railway locomotive in which the prime mover is a diesel engine, while in an electric locomotive, the engine moves on power drawn through a pantograph mounted on the roof of the train.

Pantograph is an apparatus mounted on the roof of an electric train, tram or electric bus to collect power through contact with an overhead wire.

Railways to manufacture dual-mode locomotives that run on diesel, electricity - Times of India

Why did it take so long, @anant_s ?

Any other such example in the world ?

France has something similar.
The primary reason must be cost. And may be size... imagine a bigger WAG 7 with a 16 cylinder 2 stroke diesel engine.

Any other such example in the world ?

France has something similar.
The primary reason must be cost. And may be size... imagine a bigger WAG 7 with a 16 cylinder 2 stroke diesel engine.

You may be right. But then the question arises, what changed now?

Railways has done many experiments before too.
Maybe Prabhu is pressing RDSO after seeing the Polish and other European ones.

Personally I feel Railway should not go forward with this, simply for the price. It will be too costly.

And I am sure in the end RDSO will end up making a MUed version, one with a WAG and WDG mued together, as the Russians did.

Untill Alstom or simiens take a part in this. I am critical of it.
You may be right. But then the question arises, what changed now?

Back
Top Bottom