What's new

12000 HP Locomotives for Indian Railways

Well sir, Diesels most of the time are like this only. These won't be running beyond 130kmph, so aerodynamics doesn't play a big role.
They need to be rugged.

I remember a news when IIT Bombay had proposed aerodynamic improvement in engine shape. They said that if these changes are carried out than same engine may run 30 KM faster and save 3.5 crore electricity every year. However it was ignored as ever.

We have adopted aerodynamics in DEMUs now. Its a good beginning.

And cost also plays a factor. For now Railways find it cheaper to operate as such than to spend a big amount, redesign the loco , for which the benefits at present and in short term is not big.

Aerodynamics do play a role when a train moves at more than 130kmph, but when you have to pull a 50 wagon Coal rake, you will not care about it as the top speed seldom crosses 80kmph.

I've had an opportunity to travel on this NG line (Gondia Balaghat) many years back. old world charm unfortunately the line is now closed for BG conversion.
Thats our part of India.. Meanwhile Nagpur Nagbhid line still has these locos..

Sir,
GE has been selected for HHP diesels already. As on today it doesn't manufacture any electric locos.

Anat ji,

Thank you very much for the information. It is a big surprise that GE do not manufacture Electric LOCOs.

Anat ji,

Thank you very much for the information. It is a big surprise that GE do not manufacture Electric LOCOs.

Locomotive manufacturing is a difficult job. Once a leader, Great Britain today does not make locomotives.

Anat ji,

It is a great shame, because GE manufactured one of the greatest electric locomotive ever, Pennsylvania Rail Roads GG1.
bd3dc10da46bea426f025713db7c474b.jpg

It is a great shame, because GE manufactured one of the greatest electric locomotive ever, Pennsylvania Rail Roads GG1.
View attachment 283932

US is a typical case, Diesel lobby having the upper hand.

But competitiveness is also important. American Locomotives or ALCO , once a world leader perished. (Its legacy still continues to be produced in India though.)

GE's AC6000CW for 6000 HP requirement of IR. These locomotives will be produced at Marhaura plant in Bihar and total of 300 such units will be produced.
The loco uses GEVO-16 or 7HDL16 engine (16 cylinders).
3133.1426623639.jpg
2818.1388412090.jpg
6697.1450198680.jpg

image copyrights with railpics.net

Last edited:
@anant_s

January electric loco list http://elocos.railnet.gov.in/Holding/holding_01_16.pdf

December http://elocos.railnet.gov.in/Holding/holding_12_15.pdf

Sir two things I have noticed.
1. WAP 4 and WAG 7 have been added. Does it mean the production is still on for some time?

2. There is an increase in number of WAG 5 HA/HB this month by 2. How is it possible? I don't think that we produce WAG 5s now?

Also one thing to be noticed is that the railway still lists WAG 6s to be operational , surprising.

1. WAP 4 and WAG 7 have been added. Does it mean the production is still on for some time?
No. WAP 4 and WAG 7 has completely stopped by CLW. Era of production of Tap Changer locomotives is now over for CLW. Last WAP 4 (28051) and WAG 7 (28770) were shipped a couple of months back and from now onwards we'll see only WAG 9 and WAP 5&7 from CLW.
last.png

http://elocos.railnet.gov.in/Loco_bank/Elect_loco_allotment.aspx

Infact we can see that in December 2015, no WAP 4 or WAG 7 were produced.
Last 1.png

last 2.png

As per Electric locomotive vision document too, CLW had to stop any manufacturing of 5000 HP tap changer locomotive in 3 years time. But i guess with CLW focusing on IGBT locos only, they have shut down the lines and concentrating on 3 phase technology only.
Hopefully by next financial year end (16-17), we'll start to see Japanese (Toshiba Hitachi Kawasaki consortium's) 9000 HP Co-Co and few early pieces of Alstom's Prima 2 as well, which are to come as direct import. By 2017-18 Dankuni will start autonomous WAG 9 production and by 2018-19 Madhepura factory would be set up for large scale (~100 per year) production as well. Land is already available so i'm hoping both GE and Alstom can setup assembly line quickly.

There is an increase in number of WAG 5 HA/HB this month by 2. How is it possible? I don't think that we produce WAG 5s now?
Rehabilitation from accident. WAG 5 production stopped back in early 2000s.

No. WAP 4 and WAG 7 has completely stopped by CLW. Era of production of Tap Changer locomotives is now over for CLW. Last WAP 4 (28051) and WAG 7 (28770) were shipped a couple of months back and from now onwards we'll see only WAG 9 and WAP 5&7 from CLW.
View attachment 284999
http://elocos.railnet.gov.in/Loco_bank/Elect_loco_allotment.aspx

Infact we can see that in December 2015, no WAP 4 or WAG 7 were produced.
View attachment 285002
View attachment 285004

As per Electric locomotive vision document too, CLW had to stop any manufacturing of 5000 HP tap changer locomotive in 3 years time. But i guess with CLW focusing on IGBT locos only, they have shut down the lines and concentrating on 3 phase technology only.
Hopefully by next financial year end (16-17), we'll start to see Japanese (Toshiba Hitachi Kawasaki consortium's) 9000 HP Co-Co and few early pieces of Alstom's Prima 2 as well, which are to come as direct import. By 2017-18 Dankuni will start autonomous WAG 9 production and by 2018-19 Madhepura factory would be set up for large scale (~100 per year) production as well. Land is already available so i'm hoping both GE and Alstom can setup assembly line quickly.

Rehabilitation from accident. WAG 5 production stopped back in early 2000s.

Does the ELW has produced any WAG 9 recently ?

Also when will BHEL restart producing locos?

Back
Top Bottom