What's new

12000 HP Locomotives for Indian Railways

Absolutely correct.
View attachment 296283

View attachment 296284

Essentially Tap changer allows you to take a certain part of secondary winding in the circuit, allowing variation in voltage applied to traction motor and changing torque generated.

View attachment 296288

Transformer, blower and Tap Changer in a WAG 7 Loco
View attachment 296289

I think it is important to understand phenomenon of back emf and train resistance which are essential to understand how a loco with load achieves balancing speed.

You are always welcome sir to discuss these issues. There are a lot of engineering students who can learn from such discussions.:cheers:
I too personally have worked on these induction motors (not the traction ones) which employ Variable frequency Drives in industrial applications that require variable flow (large Steam generator feed pumps in power stations), so i can contribute a bit here.
@Ankit Kumar may be you can tell if we should put technical information on how Taps changer and 3 Phasers work.

I work in power plant, 660 MW super-critical unit, massive machines, so yes I can relate. MDBFPs, ID, FD fan motors :D
BTW there is no such difference between an AC traction and an induction motor, per say just that the motor is mounted on the axle of a locomotive, providing traction.

@anant_s

US Ambassador meets Nitish Kumar for GE Loco factory

GE to make 900 locomotives in Bihar: Ambassador
Yes the Marhaura Plant for 4400 HP and 6000 HP GE Diesels. 100 locos would come assembled from US.
Shortly scenes like these can be expected.
evolution-04-erie.jpg

I work in power plant, 660 MW super-critical unit, massive machines, so yes I can relate. MDBFPs, ID, FD fan motors :D
BTW there is no such difference between an AC traction and an induction motor, per say just that the motor is mounted on the axle of a locomotive, providing traction.
660MW wow, Very impressive.

Wanted to ask that have we switched to production of WDP/WDG-4 D or still produce the single cab B?

Only the D models (Dual Cabs are being produced) WDG 4D and WDP 4D. Single Cab model production has ceased for more than a year now.

Two more pictures of Bio Diesel fuel using loco (WDM 2S, Shunter belonging to Guwahati)

12803041_10207889132242863_619920355219562664_n.jpg
12799198_10207889134642923_3603650118252559146_n.jpg

& this legendary train turns 47 today!
8569395316_ecbb461131_b.jpg

Happy Birthday Howrah rajdhani (India's First Rajdhani Express)

This train was once hauled by Dual WAP 1 regularly (early 1980s), only recorded instance of double electric power for a Passenger Service.
2wap1rajhowrah.jpg

Only the D models (Dual Cabs are beintime oduced) WDG 4D and WDP 4D. Single Cab model production has ceased for more than a year now.

Two more pictures of Bio Diesel fuel using loco (WDM 2S, Shunter belonging to Guwahati)

View attachment 296392 View attachment 296393

& this legendary train turns 47 today!
View attachment 296394
Happy Birthday Howrah rajdhani (India's First Rajdhani Express)

This train was once hauled by Dual WAP 1 regularly (early 1980s), only recorded instance of double electric power for a Passenger Service.
View attachment 296395

Sir weren't WAP5 Twins also used on some passenger rakes , though for a very brief time.

I had once travelled from Ranchi to Patna in Hatia Patna super express hauled by WAG5 twins, as its WAP 4 had some technical prob.

Sir weren't WAP5 Twins also used on some passenger rakes , though for a very brief time.
i suppose you mean coupled WAP 5, which was used as an experiment. Well Technically yes, but that is counted as one loco unit. Unfortunately that unit has also gone now (separated into 2 individual locomotives).

I had once travelled from Ranchi to Patna in Hatia Patna super express hauled by WAG5 twins, as its WAP 4 had some technical prob.

usually when a loco failure occurs, the practice is to use whatever locomotive power is available nearby and it almost always means nearest freight train loosing its power.
11.jpg

Even mighty Bhopal Shatabdi was once hauled by twin WAG 5 when a WAP 5 failed near Bhopal.
7367896178_4c982456bd_b.jpg

Last edited:
Govt mulls electrification of 35,000 km rail line in 3 yrs
New Delhi, Mar 3 (PTI) Government mulls electrification of 35,000 km of rail line in the next three years to save around Rs 16,000 crore forex a year on fuel imports, Union Minister Piyush Goyal said today. The Herculeans task of electrifying remaining 35,000 km of rail track is likely to be done by one of the companies under the Power Ministry, he said, adding that the project is expected to be launched immediately after the discussions are over on the Railway Budget in Parliament. "We are going to stop production of diesel locomotives that is the decision which Sureshji (Railway Minister) will take quickly. I hope that it (electrification) would be done in next three years. I want to do it in three years," the Power Minister said. He said that the Railways is consuming diesel worth over Rs 200 crore every year and if it does not use the fuel then there would be saving of Rs 16,000 crore forex. Elaborating further he said, "Rs one crore per kilometer is the current of cost of rail electrification. If we do it in three years, cost will come down to half. But it cannot be less than 30-35 per cent. Power Ministry will spend entire money. One of my companies will spend 100 per cent of money." According to the minister, the electrification of entire rail track in the country will lead to power consumption going up by 7 billion units. "We can easily recover the investment in three years. So we done the deal. Under the project 75 per cent of the savings will be paid to Power Ministrys company for next 10 years and remaining will be enjoyed by Railways," he said. "Out of our 75 per cent share of savings 50 per cent would be used to pay costs and interest and remaining 25 per cent will be our profit." PTI KKS MR
12.PNG

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/...-of-35000-km-rail-line-in-3-yrs/1/611456.html

660MW wow, Very impressive.
Yep, one of my first projects assignments, Built this one up from ground zero :D, shipped 55,000 tonnes of equipment from China, No one had the tech in India then. Thinking about moving on to non conventional, they are the 'big thing' in energy, just beginning to explode on the scene.

Trains, electric ones use almost the same equipment we see in plants, and that my Father worked in Eastern Railways and I have spent almost all my life around the EMU car-shed of Howrah, adds to my affinity of these machines. and I am a Mech/Power plant Engineer so..

Last edited:
WAP 7 for Kalyan and Vadodara Sheds.
BRC.PNG

New WAP 7 locomotives have been Allocated to Vadodara (BRC, Western Railways) and Kalyan (KYN, Central Railways). These locomotives will feature Bombardier Transport make IGBT based Tractions.
With this Vadodara becomes first shed in India to house all three class of Three Phase Locomotives viz (WAP 5 and 7 and WAG 9).
12832508_1761774714042087_9047068051884825022_n.jpg
1170_1761774700708755_8646682634262769201_n.jpg

(CGI for BRC WAP 7).
23534695385_79d7db2481_b.jpg

Kalyan meanwhile, the oldest electric loco shed in India, becomes newest holder of WAP 7.
btil.PNG

all new WAP 7 will now be designated as WAP 7i and this marks end of GTO tractions in high speed passenger locos in India.

Sad to see the Shape of Prima and Vectron. See how WAP-4 is designed!!

Back
Top Bottom