What's new

12000 HP Locomotives for Indian Railways

Probably and due to on board catering service they also charge something known as Service Tax, which adds to the cost.
Breakfast
View attachment 288241
View attachment 288240
Lunch/Dinner

View attachment 288238
Vegetarian
View attachment 288243
Non Vegetarian

http://www.indianrailways.gov.in/railwayboard/uploads/directorate/coaching/TAG_2014-15/MenuMeals.pdf
But just as a comparison, a Chinese HST running at 250 kph will take about 40 minutes to cover the distance of 195 km between Delhi and Agra, so catering probably isn't required, although for longer distance, this becomes feasible.
Another thing, as more trains of these class enter and tracks freed up from freight traffic, the cost could come down. But as of now they want to see how people take interest in this train.
It's impossible to cater to 8 or 16 cars of passengers at one time and there are passengers standing at the connection! There are also very limited railway staff on each train.
And there will be a stop every 10-30 minutes!
I think it is only feasible for 1-2 cars of first class passengers.
(first class of 200km/h train still too cheap for any food service, 300km/h train maybe possible)
Even for first class ticket of 300km/h train which is 40% pricier than second class, (the ticket price is completely based on mileage), that would be unfair for long-distance travelers unless additional service fee is charged like the case of IR.
To maintain second-class cheap for the general mass(second class is widely accepted for different class in China), I suggest we take food ourselves or buy a boxed meal in the dining car. I generally buy some food in the waiting room.

A Chinese fast food chain in the waiting room of a railway station
112.jpg

To maintain second-class cheap for the general mass, I suggest we take food ourselves or buy a boxed meal in the dining car. I generally buy some food in the waiting room.
IMHO, getting your own food is a much better option. usually on board, they supply boxed food for II and III AC passengers and cooked food for I AC. Unfortunately what it means is a fixed menu and many a times a person may want something else. So buying from station kitchen allows you to pick and choose.
Restaurant-Bangalore-Comesum-Food-Plaza-1ufY00mB-4f338d9b621ea_regular.jpg

2-copy.jpg

(Comesum restaurants operated by IRCTC).

Here in India, several startups have come up that allow you to order food through a mobile App and then in conjunction with restaurants on halting stations, they provide you packed hot food. I personally find it a much better choice than what you get from onboard pantry car meals.

IMHO, getting your own food is a much better option. usually on board, they supply boxed food for II and III AC passengers and cooked food for I AC. Unfortunately what it means is a fixed menu and many a times a person may want something else. So buying from station kitchen allows you to pick and choose.
Here in India, several startups have come up that allow you to order food through a mobile App and then in conjunction with restaurants on halting stations, they provide you packed hot food. I personally find it a much better choice than what you get from onboard pantry car meals.
We used to have such service, noodle, rice and McDonald.(directly delivered onboard)
But later, it got cancelled because all food sold on the train must receive very complicated processing. Though food becomes safe(insanely), I seldom buy those boxed meals sold in the dining car! Because of the deep processing!
Check it out!
How is boxed lunch on HSR cooked?

In Shanghai's HSR station, there are dozens of restaurants and fast food chains in the waiting room or outside security region(one has to be checked before going inside a waiting room, ID and luggage). So, food is not a problem!

Last edited:
View attachment 288253
View attachment 288252
(Comesum restaurants operated by IRCTC).

but i thing food provided in trains pantry are much better than those sold by these apps a regular veg thali in indian trains is much more tasety and filling and good on pocket than eating burgers or such stuff by there apps ... well just my observation no offence

but i thing food provided in trains pantry are much better than those sold by these apps a regular veg thali in indian trains is much more tasety and filling and good on pocket than eating burgers or such stuff by there apps ... well just my observation no offence
Sirji,
:welcome: back.
I sure missed your presence here.

I usually order veg thali (not a big fan of fast food) and somehow find it better than pantry thali.
A funny thing last year. I was travelling on Punjab Mail from Mumbai to Agra and my coach attendant advised us to try breakfast from a private caterer at Itarsi (the train reaches there at around 7.30 am). The food was certainly very good and when i asked him again, he said Sahab Pantry ka khana to vaisey hi bakwaas hai:p:

Sirji,

I usually order veg thali (not a big fan of fast food) and somehow find it better than pantry thali.
A funny thing last year. I was travelling on Punjab Mail from Mumbai to Agra and my coach attendant advised us to try breakfast from a private caterer at Itarsi (the train reaches there at around 7.30 am). The food was certainly very good and when i asked him again, he said Sahab Pantry ka khana to vaisey hi bakwaas hai:p:
thats right food from pantry cars are not that fancy looking but have mild spices and oiliness and much bigger portions (specially chinese) than the private ones as for itarsi well food from that belt is i guess the most tastiest :)

Sirji,

But sir how did you ended up on such long route taking train and that too Central railways Punjab mail. My father is AC mechanic and he goes to Amritsar n Firozpur every month with this train. and believe me food in Itarasi is not so good as people think. Worst food in jabalpur. Best food on Western railways side.

l
But sir how did you ended up on such long route taking train and that too Central railways Punjab mail. My father is AC mechanic and he goes to Amritsar n Firozpur every month with this train. and believe me food in Itarasi is not so good as people think. Worst food in jabalpur. Best food on Western railways side.
i usually take Mumbai Central Mathura route, but at last moment couldn't get confirmed reservation and hence CR.
You are right about food though. Its only after Bhopal, that one can get choice in food selection and if one misses out at Bhusawal, well good luck till Bhopal arrives.
About 12-15 years back Itarsi platform 1 had a big food stall, that served very nice food. Its gone now for quite some time now, dont know why.
There is one saving grace though, on entire CR route, you can get Sanchi brand dairy products, which are of very good quality (especially the rose water scented lassi).
& ofcourse from Delhi onwards in states of Haryana and Punjab, food is really good. I had this rather pleasant experience a couple of years back while travelling to Ludhiana on Paschim Express.

More information on supply schedule of 12000 HP locomotive by Alstom.
12592238_10153221325406879_1215402282328117729_n.jpg

12661898_10153221325436879_4822383162172639428_n.jpg

Contract agreement with Alstom, signed for supply and maintenance of 800 locos, on 23.1.16 during visit of French President.
1st prototype loco will be given in next 1 year (Mid 2017).
Next 4 locos in 2nd year (2018).
These first 5 locos will be imported in knocked down condition and will be assembled in India.These locos will be Bo-Bo+Bo+Bo (8 axles) and a slight variant of PRIMA model of Alstom working in China & Kazakhstan.
35 locos will be made at Madhepura in 3rd year (2019 onwards), 60 locos in 4th yr, and 100 locos in each year upto 11th yr, so total 800 locos in 11 yr.
First 250 locos will be maintained for 13 yr at Alstom's Depot at Saharanpur and next 250 locos at Railway's proposed depot at Nagpur, close to Ajni shed (central Railways).
Cost of each loco now is Rs. 28 crores.

Internal cabin of locomotive (KZ8A). Indian locomotive will feature a similar cabin.
qw3.JPG

Last edited:
More Gujarati ion on supply schedule of 12000 HP locomotive by Alstom.
View attachment 291155

View attachment 291154

Contract agreement with Alstom, signed for supply and maintenance of 800 locos, on 23.1.16 during visit of French President.
1st prototype loco will be given in next 1 year (Mid 2017).
Next 4 locos in 2nd year (2018).
These first 5 locos will be imported in knocked down condition and will be assembled in India.These locos will be Bo-Bo+Bo+Bo (8 axles) and a slight variant of PRIMA model of Alstom working in China & Kazakhstan.
35 locos will be made at Madhepura in 3rd year (2019 onwards), 60 locos in 4th yr, and 100 locos in each year upto 11th yr, so total 800 locos in 11 yr.
First 250 locos will be maintained for 13 yr at Alstom's Depot at Saharanpur and next 250 locos at Railway's proposed depot at Nagpur, close to Ajni shed (central Railways).
Cost of each loco now is Rs. 28 crores.

28 Crore is a very reasonable price,good deal by our Gujarati PM indeed.

Yes it is a good price. Considering trequiremnetfer price of WAG 9 (6000 HP), this 12000 HP locomotive (with complete IGBT based Traction) at around 2x is a very good deal indeed.
View attachment 291161

Any progress on WDG 5 project? A few told me that around 20-30 will be made and the rest requirements will be fulfilled by the GE locomotives.

Any progress on WDG 5 project?
Not sure what is happening. New WDG 5 are not coming up. To me it looks 2 years back railway was convinced that Marhaoura plant will not be coming and therefore they developed WDG5 inside 135 Ton limit (22.5 T/A). this loco although rated at much higher power does not provide much change in hauling capacity and so i believe the plan was to use this on existing tracks and on DFC tracks in CC+6+2 or CC+8+2 configuration.
However now that GE 6000 HP locomotives have been confirmed with a much better tractive effort on DFC tracks, not sure if WDG 5 will provide any additional benefits. Lets wait and see.

@anant_s
With the tap chargers officially end, when to expect allotment of WAP 5s outside BRC or GZB?
Some say that either HWH or SCR will be the third one owing to their proximity with Chittranjan, your thoughts ?

@anant_s
With the tap chargers officially end, when to expect allotment of WAP 5s outside BRC or GZB?
Some say that either HWH or SCR will be the third one owing to their proximity with Chittranjan, your thoughts ?
I had a news from an inside source that Tughlakabad was next in line to get WAP 5, but that hasn't happened.
12.JPG

Apparently they are looking at loco sheds that can actually put WAP 5 into work with their high speed potential. Howrah is a good case, but all it seem to be getting is WAP 7. There might be something to do with most trains being 22+ coaches originating from there.

Back
Top Bottom