HAIDER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

With $225m in blocked airline funds, Pakistan among top three on IATA’s list

Mohammad Asghar Published December 9, 2022 Updated about an hour ago

LISTEN TO ARTICLE1x1.2x1.5x
RAWALPINDI: Pakistan has blocked some $225 million of airlines’ dues, becoming one of the top countries restricting the industry from repatriating funds, the global airline association IATA said on Wednesday.
Pakistan already became a “blocked fund” country in April along with Sri Lanka. The two countries were being monitored and flagged in IATA’s “watch list countries” in 2021.
The amount of airline funds for repatriation being blocked by governments has risen by more than 25 per cent, or $394m, in the last six months to nearly $2 billion now, the International Air Transport Association (IATA), which represents some 300 airlines comprising 83pc of global air traffic, said in a statement on Wednesday.
More than 27 countries and territories are blocking airlines from repatriation funds. Nigeria is on the top with $551m in blocked funds, followed by Pakistan ($225m), Bangladesh ($208m), Lebanon ($144m), and Algeria $140m.
These markets don’t include Venezuela, which has been alone sitting on some $3.8bn of airline funds since 2016, when the country last authorised limited repatriation.
IATA called on governments to “remove all barriers to airlines repatriating their revenues from ticket sales and other activities, in line with international agreements and treaty obligations”.
“Preventing airlines from repatriating funds may appear to be an easy way to shore up depleted treasuries, but ultimately the local economy will pay a high price,” said Willie Walsh, IATA’s director general.
“No business can sustain providing service if they cannot get paid and this is no different for airlines. Air links are a vital economic catalyst. Enabling the efficient repatriation of revenues is critical for any economy to remain globally connected to markets and supply chains,” he said.
In an update issued in September, IATA said the industry’s blocked funds had jumped 27pc in the last six months, reaching $1.851bn.
“The total amount blocked is higher mainly driven by two factors: increase of sales across most markets and deterioration in Nigeria, Pakistan, Egypt, Russia and Ukraine and two new countries,” the association said at the time.
Published in Dawn, December 9th, 2022

So, the natural question is, why do they keep operating if they don't get paid (in repatriable currency)?

Pay them in local currency. I don’t think any U.S. airlines operate in Pakistan so simply pay them in Rs or the carrier country currency. Problem solved.

Pay them in local currency. I don’t think any U.S. airlines operate in Pakistan so simply pay them in Rs or the carrier country currency. Problem solved.
PIA has one the highest number of international passengers. But now Turkish,Emirates, Etihad, and Qatar Airways take away the almost 95 percent chunk..... First Nawaz govt and then the Zardari govt gave the most lucrative international routes. There was a time when US has 10 flights a week minimum and now ... Turkish and GCC took over all routes.

PIA has one the highest number of international passengers. But now Turkish,Emirates, Etihad, and Qatar Airways take away the almost 95 percent chunk..... First Nawaz govt and then the Zardari govt gave the most lucrative international routes. There was a time when US has 10 flights a week minimum and now ... Turkish and GCC took over all routes.
Nawaz and zardari aside, it was bound to happen. Old planes. Sh!t service. Just like every institution in Karachi is full of free loading incompetent political hires, PIA was unfortunate enough to have his HQ in Karachi.

One of my school friend, who was flying for PIA, was fired during fake pilot license cleanup, He overnight turned from Pro-PTI to now a staunch hater of IK and PTI. People want honest and accountable govt as long as they free in their act of corruption.

Last edited:
Nawaz and zardari aside, it was bound to happen. Old planes. Sh!t service. Just like every institution in Karachi is full of free loading incompetent political hires, PIA was unfortunate enough to have his HQ in Karachi.

One of my school friend, who was flying for PIA, was fired during fake pilot license cleanup, He overnight turned from Pro-PTI to now a staunch hater of IK and PTI. People want honest and accountable govt as long as they free in their act of corruption.
Totally agreed... I want justice for others, but not for me on my wrongdoings.... its absolutely common dilemma in our society.

What killed PIA in the US is their inability to secure direct daily flight to and from the US. In addition their lackluster service from the ground to cabin crew killed them. Plus the desire to have once or twice weekly service to other destinations in the US didn't help either: that was always costly and unnecessary, ie Houston, and DC, and Chicago etc.
If pia can secure the rights to the direct flights, and bring it's service on par with other airlines. I don't see why they won't be able to recapture their lost passengers shares, and since none of those other airline can run direct flights to Pakistan from the US. Pia can make serious money on north American sector.
Others can chime in about other destinations that pia serves or served.

What killed PIA in the US is their inability to secure direct daily flight to and from the US. In addition their lackluster service from the ground to cabin crew killed them. Plus the desire to have once or twice weekly service to other destinations in the US didn't help either: that was always costly and unnecessary, ie Houston, and DC, and Chicago etc.
If pia can secure the rights to the direct flights, and bring it's service on par with other airlines. I don't see why they won't be able to recapture their lost passengers shares, and since none of those other airline can run direct flights to Pakistan from the US. Pia can make serious money on north American sector.
Others can chime in about other destinations that pia serves or served.
I have seen PIA paid 10 thousand dollar / per hour penalty for passing the time slot on gate ....because minister was a little late to catch plane...

mashallah aur chori karo aur corruption karo soon there be nothing left.

I have seen PIA paid 10 thousand dollar / per hour penalty for passing the time slot on gate ....because minister was a little late to catch plane...
Yes of course such shenanigans were the final nail in the coffin of pia in the US. Wasting money like their is no tomorrow. Pia used to have it's local office in the most exclusive area of NYC. It wasn't making that much revenue to afford such lavish expenditures. In addition, the pia staff along with the travel agents manipulated the bookings, and as a result, the planes often left NY almost empty.

Yes of course such shenanigans were the final nail in the coffin of pia in the US. Wasting money like their is no tomorrow. Pia used to have it's local office in the most exclusive area of NYC. It wasn't making that much revenue to afford such lavish expenditures. In addition, the pia staff along with the travel agents manipulated the bookings, and as a result, the planes often left NY almost empty.
I remember PIA-local travel agents mafia ...how they badly hurt PIA...... lol... just want to make much as possible money in 3 years of deputation.

Back
Top Bottom