What's new

Cash-strapped PIA likely to ground more aircraft

I think the aircraft of PIA are old so they are acquiring losses, Pakistan should buy a few dozen Comac C919 from China on pay later basis, that will revive PIA

Market access and infrastructure chain
what market access?
of the 240 millionpeople, how many can aford air travel? how many do you think can afford air travel 5 years from now?
and if we continue the same path (as we have for decades)- how many can afford air travel in 10 years?

you see where I am going with this?

we can be all hopeful - being patriots and all - but business works on hard number
even in failed economies, businesses work with probabilities of success.

why did IPPs built by china require sovereign guarantee? because they dint see Pakistan of the future having the potential to payback without govt intervention!

Credit of these developments goes to?

Pakistan Army. 🇵🇰. You can't hide or mask yourself. You have destroyed Pakistan trying to appease Americans. Laenat upon your policy makers.

Privatization always comes up as a strategy to tackle the issue, but never happens. It's just a delay tactic to wait out the government in power. The only solution is to dissolve PIA completely and sell its aircraft. This way, the government won't be hemorrhaging anymore money operating the airline and the debts can be paid off.
That's an option but you will even find people who are ready for the brand
what market access?
of the 240 millionpeople, how many can aford air travel? how many do you think can afford air travel 5 years from now?
and if we continue the same path (as we have for decades)- how many can afford air travel in 10 years?

you see where I am going with this?

we can be all hopeful - being patriots and all - but business works on hard number
even in failed economies, businesses work with probabilities of success.

why did IPPs built by china require sovereign guarantee? because they dint see Pakistan of the future having the potential to payback without govt intervention!
Apparently you forgot how Emirates and qatar run on workers flying back & forth

Pia need to focus shift

It needs massive gutting and then getting cheap short haul aircrafts for gulf and may be england

That's it

Too many routes for the airline

That's an option but you will even find people who are ready for the brand

Pia need to focus shift

It needs massive gutting and then getting cheap short haul aircrafts for gulf and may be england

That's it

Too many routes for the airline
The problem is that you can completely turn around PIA, purchase brand new fuel efficient aircraft, add more routine flights, improve service quality 200%, reduce staff, fix all its problems, make it way more profitable. However, the massive debts will still be there and it will be a LONG time until you break even.

There's no point in trying to fix it. The window for that opportunity closed long ago. Just get rid of it along with other hemorrhaging SOE and save yourself billions of dollars. If you can't make money from SOE, don't lose money either.

As for the rights to routes, JFK, and other income-generating assets, transfer them to another entity that can be rented out to Emirates or others.

The problem is that you can completely turn around PIA, purchase brand new fuel efficient aircraft, add more routine flights, improve service quality 200%, reduce staff, fix all its problems, make it way more profitable. However, the massive debts will still be there and it will be a LONG time until you break even.

There's no point in trying to fix it. The window for that opportunity closed long ago. Just get rid of it along with other hemorrhaging SOE and save yourself billions of dollars. If you can't make money from SOE, don't lose money either.

As for the rights to routes, JFK, and other income-generating assets, transfer them to another entity that can be rented out to Emirates or others.
Agree
Take the debt and privitize it immediately

If u even turn it around the next govt will ruin it

if we cant run a airline we cant run a nation. Sorry.
Khata hey tu lagata be hey is the slogan of educated Pakistanis

Forget about the uneducated

No one will buy PIA with its astronomical debts and judges that will stop you from firing ghost employees. It's better for it to file bankruptcy and shutdown after assets are sold for cash. Airport rights, routes, facilities can be leased to Emirates or highest bidder, after being transferred to new publicly-owned company.

Its easy to say sell it off but who’ll buy it.

I am thinking even if its sold for free who’ll take the massive debt.

Pakistan doesn’t have TATA and even if it did considering establishment adhocism no investors in their right mind will dare investing.

Best is just wind it up, sell all assets and work towards giving its employee a golden handshake.
Crown corporations jobs are used by Military and its political franchises as incentives to buy loyalities. Buying PIA and making it profitable will not be a problem getting rid of dead weight that's the problem...

I think the aircraft of PIA are old so they are acquiring losses, Pakistan should buy a few dozen Comac C919 from China on pay later basis, that will revive PIA
Who would want to travel in a jet even the Chinese don't trust?
Remember different Chinese airlines have hundreds of jets on order from both Boeing and Airbus

Who would want to travel in a jet even the Chinese don't trust?
Not true. There are only two C919s and both are flying for revenue.

For example, just today:

Allow me to fire unwanted employees. Given Pakistan's huge expatriate population I will bring PIA to profitability within 2 years.

Allow me to fire unwanted employees. Given Pakistan's huge expatriate population I will bring PIA to profitability within 2 years.
That sounds very easy. To run a profitable business, you will be needing skilled workers and customer base who trust your brand. PIA has neither. PIA airplanes don't fly by themselves, and you won't earn any revenue, let alone profits, by running them empty. Running a profitable airline is a very difficult task, ask any U.S. Airline.

they work on being paid for these tickets. they dont do charity flying.
the workers are paid for either by the hiring companies or by the workers themselves.

and I agree with your point that it "can" be turned to profits. but that requires setting up an actual company - not a cash cow that can be milked by giving jobs to relatives

Back
Top Bottom