What's new

the urdu language script learning thread

Incorrect information

About 80% :-)
Yes the person above clarified it. Amazed to see the number of Urdu speakers of Pakistan since it has its roots in Northern India.

Hamal is for carrying. Hamali is a porter. Pregnancy and towing are both carrying. So the word is not exactly a different meaning.

I know that, simply stated the fact that in Pakistan it will mean Pregnancy unless it's used with combining an other word "naqal" i.e. naqal-wa-hamal = carrying and transportation

I though even Pakistanis won't understand that. Because it is Farsi and not Urdu.

Yes it's almost in Farsi, but all the words used in it are part of Urdu vocabulary as well. That's why Pakistanis can understand it and that's reason majority think it's in Urdu.

Well they are corruptions of essentially the same base language. One got corrupted by Farsi and the other by Sanskrit.

Whatever, both are different languages now (although with lot of similarities).

Indians similarity can't pronounce Kh like khan,Z etc etc.

Wrong information.

Hindi have both Kh and Z. Its Sanskrit which don't have Z. And who those pronounce Z as J are not speaking Hindi but its dialect Awadhi.

ज़ - Z
ज - J
ख - Kh

Wrong information.

Hindi have both Kh and Z. Its Sanskrit which don't have Z. And who those pronounce Z as J are not speaking Hindi but its dialect Awadhi.

ज़ - Z
ज - J
ख - Kh

But you pronounce Kh in a different manner.. Than us,afghans or Iranians...

You say kh like khana.....for example... In Urdu its خان۔ ۔۔۔ Indians speak it like کھان۔۔

Ah alright mate :tup:

We have mojairs from as far as south India... And they speak Urdu (although they might speak their own language in their house),. But even the Urdu of Karachi is quiet different than the one spoken in the country... Karachi Urdu is Hindi influenced or something.:.

Hamal is for carrying. Hamali is a porter. Pregnancy and towing are both carrying. So the word is not exactly a different meaning
In context of pregnant .. A woman in Urdu would be called "hamala or hamla".. Not Hamaliz
I though even Pakistanis won't understand that. Because it is Farsi and not Urdu.
All those words are part of Urdu vocabulary .. So we understand it perfectly.

FYI Karzai lived in Pakistan for 5-10 years.
A large % of afghan population has lived in Pak... Around 60K people travel everyday to & fro from Torkham border alone (everyday)..Pak currency is till used in Afghanistan... Afghanistan is dependent on Pak for almost everything (hence legal and illegal business transactions and interactions)... Pak tv serials ate watched in Afghanistan... Southern Afghanistan can pretty much undertake Urdu... In north it's mostly Farsi/Dari.

Yes we pronounce Kh as in Khana. Maybe you pronounce Kh like they do in Farsi.
Probably... The pronounciation is different even when you are speaking the same words.. Also i wonder why Indians think Pakistanis speak like hyderabadis or ppl from UP..

I don't think Sindh means water, as far as i know water is called Ap.

EDIT: Just checked with dictionary Sindhu in Sanskrit means Ocean / River / Stream etc.
http://www.spokensanskrit.de/index.php?tinput=sindhu&direction=SE&script=HK&link=yes&beginning=

Yeah tats what I meant. :)
Sindhu essentially means river in Sanskrit.

image.jpeg

Probably... The pronounciation is different even when you are speaking the same words.. Also i wonder why Indians think Pakistanis speak like hyderabadis or ppl from UP..
No one here thinks Pakistanis speak like Hydrabadis. Pakistani Urdu is influenced by Punjabi. UPites don't speak Hydrabadi. Hydrabadi is a slang mix of various languages although in original Indian Hydrabad that language is dying slowly (sadly), mainly due to Hindi and Bollywood.

Wrong information.

ज़ - Z
ज - J
ख - Kh
I think it's the Bimaru states which have a problem with Z. They don't like the dot below Ja (ज़). Lol

No one here thinks Pakistanis speak like Hydrabadis. Pakistani Urdu is influenced by Punjabi. UPites don't speak Hydrabadi. Hydrabadi is a slang mix of various languages although in original Indian Hydrabad that language is dying slowly (sadly), mainly due to Hindi and Bollywood.

Pak Urdu is not "punjabised"... Even the punjabis speak the same Urdu but the rural accent would be different in any case., the same goes for all ethnic groups of Pakistan...

Punjab itself has different dialects,languages etx.. Seriki is different from Punjabi.., potohari is different from Punjabi,hazarwals have a different language... Etc.. Indians can't understand the diversity we have in Punjab alone ...and not just linguistically but ethnically Aswell.

I think it's the Bimaru states which have a problem with Z. They don't like the dot below Ja (ज़). Lol
Some old published circulated books didn't print the Bindi. That might also be a reason. But it might also have some other theory behind it. I don't know if you were aware if this or not but in Indian Punjabi, people here pronounce Z as J too. Which is different from Pakistani Punjab, hence its nothing related to a particular state.

Skip to 1:23 in video below
Lyrics : Roj Sanu Chithiyan

Even more what differentiates Indian Punjabi (and Haryani) from Pakistani Punjabi is the presence of the letter 'ण' which is pronounced although similar to 'N' but when strike the tongue with lower jaw. Haryana, Rana (sirname), etc use this letter. And its pronounced differnt from 'N'. This exact same letter is sometimes use as 'L' in Indian Punjabi when spoken, might not be true when written. I don't know how to read Punbai script yet. See below video.
Skip to 2:11 and listen how he pronounces Bollywood

Back
Top Bottom