What's new

REMEMBERING MY SENIOR SIR RASHID MINHAS

He is Alive today shaheed never die

Why PAF home of traitors there was some news by isi ex emploee that retired paf employe was agent of mossad we caught him

Pakistansage was saying that mk was blaming RM for stopping the craft on airstrip ,which was more abt flying school laws.

U were questioning why he didnt eject.
iwont say this that Allah will ask him that, cuz rashid was sacrificing for his nation and also one doenst know what thought first came to his mind and then he went along with it. And then as someone said he was a young officer ,maybe an older one wud have taken a diff decision.

Honestly, i see lot of emotions in the thread too. When iwas a kid and i first read abt the incident i always used to think why he had to crash ,as in ,i never understood the reason. I used to think a jet taken to india wasnt precious than his life. But then full respect to his bravery, giving one's life like that is not what everyone cud do.
Allah will ask... was in response to post #32. Secondly, if you go through the link (Aeronaut: "Bluebird-166 is Hijacked") where Mr. Tufail has attempted to reconstruct the fateful event, you'll notice comments from the readers at the bottom. Many of those appear to be aviators themselves and have asked similar questions. Emotions are good and being politically correct is also needed at times (hence the decision to award Minhas with Nishan e Haider posthumously and not with Sitara-i-Jur’at as originally recommended by the Air Marshal A Rahim Khan). However, following every such incident, investigations are carried out while keeping emotions out. It is done to understand what exactly happened and what lessons could be learnt to avert a similar situation. I hope I have cleared up myself here.

Not all of them. Late MM Alam after all belonged to East Pakistan. There were many at-least in the Armed forces who refused to go to Bangladesh and such was the level of patriotism that they always claimed themselves as Pakistani. I personally know some officers who worked with my father and decided to stay in Pakistan with their families.

Sir, MM Alam was a Bihari. His family moved from Bihar, to Calcutta, to East Pakistan, to West Pakistan. He Wasn't a Bengali.

Sir, MM Alam was a Bihari. His family moved from Bihar, to East Pakistan, to West Pakistan. He Wasn't a Bengali.
Bhai, you are right about MM Alam marhoom. He indeed was a Bihari but was considered an East Pakistani hence was withdrawn from active flying duty during 1971 war.

Allah will ask... was in response to post #32. Secondly, if you go through the link (Aeronaut: "Bluebird-166 is Hijacked") where Mr. Tufail has attempted to reconstruct the fateful event, you'll notice comments from the readers at the bottom. Many of those appear to be aviators themselves and have asked similar questions. Emotions are good and being politically correct is also needed at times (hence the decision to award Minhas with Nishan e Haider posthumously and not with Sitara-i-Jur’at as originally recommended by the Air Marshal A Rahim Khan). However, following every such incident, investigations are carried out while keeping emotions out. It is done to understand what exactly happened and what lessons could be learnt to avert a similar situation. I hope I have cleared up myself here.

I think I can be on record here to say, what Rashid Minhas Shaheed R.A. did was no small feat. The young man could have ejected and saved himself, but he made a conscious decision of "Not on my watch."

To me and many other people like me, he will always have our respect, gratitude and prayers.

When you have stared death in the face, you do consider how people die. I personally have read up a lot, about the rank of martyrdom. I'm no scholar, but I can safely say, that Rashid Minhas R.A. was blessed with a death many dream of, but very few are blessed with. He died with the highest rank of Martyrdom, InShaAllah, and that is what really matters.

May Allah Almighty, forgive his sins, and grant him the highest place in Jannah.

sir i hadnt read the blog.
But doesnt the reconstruction show that he wasnt intending to crash the jet instead he wanted to throw out the instructor (if i have understood correctly). In a way he was putting up fight for his survival as well as preventing the jet from being taken to india.

The rest iaccept lot of emotions in thread. I mean some questions u were raising as i said i also wondered abt them but then again as said by many he was young and he did what came in his mind.

sir i hadnt read the blog.
But doesnt the reconstruction show that he wasnt intending to crash the jet instead he wanted to throw out the instructor (if i have understood correctly). In a way he was putting up fight for his survival as well as preventing the jet from being taken to india.

The rest iaccept lot of emotions in thread. I mean some questions u were raising as i said i also wondered abt them but then again as said by many he was young and he did what came in his mind.
Why not read the write-up first?

One more thing,had the jet been taken to india,wudnt india have been under any compulsion to hand it back?
After all how india had to have a say in pakistan and east pakistan's conflict ? Wouldnt intl community have viewd it as an internal political mtter of pakistan that india got no say in.

Why not read the write-up first?
Oh ihad replied after reading it.

I was referring to this part of blog.

"The massive canopy hitting the elevator would have deflected it downwards, causing a sudden nose-down attitude at a precariously low height. Minhas would have then yanked back on the controls to prevent the aircraft from going into the ground. The sudden and violent pitch-up – which was confirmed by eyewitnesses – resulted in the aircraft stalling out. This is partially corroborated by the wreckage report of aircraft flaps found in the down position, implying a desperate need for vital lift to prevent stalling. The rather flat attitude in which the aircraft fell, as well as the compact spread of the wreckage, also confirms the stalled condition of the aircraft.

Confronted with a very complex situation requiring quick thinking and steel nerves, Minhas was eventually able to counter Matiur-Rehman’s cunning design. Despite having the option of ejecting safely, and in the course of action also tossing out the hijacker who did not have a parachute, Minhas ostensibly tried to save the aircraft."

Last edited:
One more thing,had the jet been taken to india,wudnt india have been under any compulsion to hand it back?
After all how india had to have a say in pakistan and east pakistan's conflict ? Wouldnt intl community have viewd it as an internal political mtter of pakistan that india got no say in.
As a war trophy, perhaps not. As a hijacked plane, perhaps yes. Does not look like a plot by Bhartis rather by Mati himself who was trying to prove something and probably looking forward to grab some important position (being a hero) in would-be BD.

Oh ihave replied after reading it.

I was referring to this part of blog.

"The massive canopy hitting the elevator would have deflected it downwards, causing a sudden nose-down attitude at a precariously low height. Minhas would have then yanked back on the controls to prevent the aircraft from going into the ground. The sudden and violent pitch-up – which was confirmed by eyewitnesses – resulted in the aircraft stalling out. This is partially corroborated by the wreckage report of aircraft flaps found in the down position, implying a desperate need for vital lift to prevent stalling. The rather flat attitude in which the aircraft fell, as well as the compact spread of the wreckage, also confirms the stalled condition of the aircraft.

Confronted with a very complex situation requiring quick thinking and steel nerves, Minhas was eventually able to counter Matiur-Rehman’s cunning design. Despite having the option of ejecting safely, and in the course of action also tossing out the hijacker who did not have a parachute, Minhas ostensibly tried to save the aircraft."
Well, he was just 19 or 20. Young, inexperienced, and perhaps psychologically not as strong or mature. T-33 was just a training aircraft not something like F-86 or F-6 or Mirage. It was ok to save the airplane but perhaps not at the cost of his life. Again, that is just me and you forgive me knowing that I am an old parrot.

Bhai, I am expecting a professional answer for a legitimate question. Planes can crash and be replaced but pilots are not simple to replace. Muti-the-traitor was irrelevant in that scenario. If Minhas could struggle for controls, pulling out ejection seat's handle was perhaps easier and better an option.

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. Though I am of opinion that if Minhas could eject, he should have. Political fiasco was not his headache, it was of Yehya and others who were at the helm and responsible for it.
thats not how it works in armed forces. Selfishness is against the spirits and traditions of armed forces. When a C.O. orders his men to march it means u march even if it is to march into an enemy's death trap. Because to them The honour of the nation is above everything else even if it takes to march over mine fields.

THATS THE LEVEL OF COURAGE THE ARMED FORCES MEN ARE TAUGHT AND INSPIRED UPON.
AND BESIDES RAHID MINHAS SHAHEED THERE ARE COUNTLESS EXAMPLES OF THIS COURAGE AND VALOR LIKE USSR IN WW2.

thats not how it works in armed forces. Selfishness is against the spirits and traditions of armed forces. When a C.O. orders his men to march it means u march even if it is to march into an enemy's death trap. Because to them The honour of the nation is above everything else even if it takes to march over mine fields.

THATS THE LEVEL OF COURAGE THE ARMED FORCES MEN ARE TAUGHT AND INSPIRED UPON.
AND BESIDES RAHID MINHAS SHAHEED THERE ARE COUNTLESS EXAMPLES OF THIS COURAGE AND VALOR LIKE USSR IN WW2.
CO had not ordered him to crash. Wrong lecture to a wrong person.

Muslims dug up a trench in Ghazwa Khandaq. Those were better Muslims and were lead by a human (PBUH) for whom Allah created the universe. Who (PBUH) told them not to waste their lives unnecessarily and take all precautionary and preparatory measures before taking up the enemy. I will leave it here for I do not want to say something that will hurt people's emotions.

Last edited:
As a war trophy, perhaps not. As a hijacked plane, perhaps yes. Does not look like a plot by Bhartis rather by Mati himself who was trying to prove something and probably looking forward to grab some important position (being a hero) in would-be BD.

Well, he was just 19 or 20. Young, inexperienced, and perhaps psychologically not as strong or mature. T-33 was just a training aircraft not something like F-86 or F-6 or Mirage. It was ok to save the airplane but perhaps not at the cost of his life. Again, that is just me and you forgive me knowing that I am an old parrot.

Sir, Discipline, and National pride, would have me give up life, rather than worry about an aircraft. I'm sure 99.99% of the officers would do the same.

This is how we are trained, it becomes instinct.

CO had not ordered him to crash. Wrong lecture to a wrong person.

Aray Professor Saheb, he is giving you an example.

As to the lecture part, ignore it.

Back
Top Bottom