What's new

REMEMBERING MY SENIOR SIR RASHID MINHAS

Pakistanisage

PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The reason I have decided to open this thread is because of uninformed and derogatory comments made by some poster about Sir Rashid Minhas. This person is totally oblivious of the facts and without knowing the facts he has made a value judgment on our National Hero who is so highly decorated as well, and for good reason. So I am going to shed some light on the incident in order to dispel some of the myths and misinformation on this incident and share how this tragedy came about.

Sir Rashid Minhas was a year and half my senior at the PAF Academy Risalpur ( Sir Minhas was from 51st GDP and I belonged to 54th GDP). When he graduated from PAF Academy Risalpur in March of 1971, I was promoted to 3rd term. Rashid Minhas was a sweet natured Flight Cadet / Officer and every one loved him for his gentle and friendly nature.

Those were very difficult times for all of us as our whole Nation was in a state of Political Turmoil. We still had Cadets and Officers/Instructors who were from East Pakistan ( present day Bangladesh ), actively serving in our Armed Forces. We treated these Cadets and Officers with Dignity and decorum which was their right, being serving officers in PAF/ARMY/NAVY and in Uniform. Now some people may claim that it was a mistake, but I would still stand by our conduct because technically these officers were part of us and our Armed Forces. In fact, not one of our Bengali officers or their family members were ever harmed and all of them along their families were returned to Bangladesh honorably and without any harm. On the contrary, our Officers were slaughtered in Bangladesh and their families were dishonored.

Now some would argue that we were wrong in treating our Bengali officers so kindly but I would disagree. We maintained the Spirit de Corp and decorum of our fine MIlitary Traditions. The result is I still have my Bengali Course Mates on my Facebook page as my friends and we are still BROTHERS ( My BD Course Mates Kaiser Hussain, Majed , Nasim ul Haq, Zain ul Abedin , Mueen Ahmed etc. too many to list will attest that fact). I would also remind all that it was these Pakistan Trained Bengali Officers who three and half years after Bangladesh was created, assassinated Sheikh Mujib urrehman.

Now before the separation in 1971, there were some extremist officers who conspired and sabotaged PAF facilities and the conspiracy to hijack a Pakistani plane was hatched in Masroor Air Force Base Karachi. This is where the incident took place. Five of senior Bengali Officers were part of this conspiracy. Flt. Lt. Matiur rehman volunteered for this dastardly act, since he was a Flight Instructor at No. 2 Squadron where 51st GDP was going thru “ Jet Conversion “ on T-33 ( dual seat jet trainers). They picked Rashid Minhas because they mistook his mild demeanor and gentle manners and PROBABLY thought that this means that he was cowardly and will not put up much resistence upon Hijacking. Rashid Minhas was being sent on his second solo flight to make maneuvers in the local flying area and then return to base for practice touch-and–go takeoffs and Landings.

As you all know Mastan Khan has been trolling making totally uninformed comments about Sir Minhas , all because he has friends whose dads knew somebody who once worked in the Air Force. I mean , get real guy, how ignorant can you be. When you make comments about stuff you know nothing about, you end up making a fool of yourself as you are about to find out. Mastan Khan says Rashid Minhas broke Air Force law by stopping his aircraft on the taxi track.

NO. HE DID NOT. RASHID MINHAS STOPPED THE TRAINER AIRCRAFT ON THE TAXI TRACK , BECAUSE THE PAF LAW REQUIRED HIM TO DO SO.

Now I am going to reveal why Sir Minhas stopped the plane. As Minhas started to Taxi to the Active , he was flagged down by Flt. Lt. Matiur rehman to stop the aircraft.

FLT. LT. MATIUR REHMAN WAS THE DESIGNATED FSO ( FLIGHT SAFETY OFFICER ) AT NO. 2 SQUADRON. THAT MEANT THAT HE COULD LEGALLY STOP ANY TRAINER AIRCRAFT FROM NO. 2 SQUADRON , ANYWHERE, TO CHECK THAT SAFETY RULES WERE BEING FOLLOWED. ALSO, ANYONE WHO HAS FLOWN T-33’S IN THE AIR FORCES AROUND THE WORLD WILL TELL YOU THAT MOST PILOTS WILL TAXI THE T-33 AIRCRAFT WITH CANOPY IN THE OPEN ( UP ) POSITION, ESPECIALLY ON A HOT AUGUST DAY.

SIR MINHAS STOPPED THE AIRCRAFT ON “ FSO’s “ DIRECTION AS THE PAF RULES REQUIRED HIM TO DO SO. Flt. Lt. MATIUR REHMAN CLIMBED THE WING AND JUMPED INTO THE BACK SEAT. ONCE INSIDE MATIUR REHMAN TOOK OVER THE CONTROLS FROM THE REAR AND TOOK OFF. AS THINGS DAWNED ON THIS VERY YOUNG 20 YEAR OLD OFFICER AS TO WHAT WAS HAPPENING HE MADE THE CALL TO THE AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL AND ONCE IT BECAME CLEAR THAT THE INSTRUCTOR WAS TRYING TO TAKE THE AIRCRAFT TO INDIA, RASHID MINHAS TRANSFORMED FROM THE MILD MANNERED PILOT OFFICER INTO A TIGER AND FOUGHT BACK WITH ALL HIS MIGHT. IN THE END THERE WAS A TUSSLE IN THE AIRCRAFT OVER THE FLIGHT CONTROLS. THOSE MEMBERS WHO ARE NOT TOO FAMILIAR WITH T-33, THE SEATS ARE TANDEM ( FRONT AND BACK SEPARATED BY A WALL). EYE WITNESSES ON THE GROUND NEAR THATTA EXPLAINED HOW THE AIRCRAFT WAS ROLLING FROM SIDE TO SIDE IN A WAY THAT APPEARED TO THESE EYE WITNESSES THAT THE AIRCRAFT WAS OUT OF CONTROL. OF COURSE WE KNOW THAT THE AIRCRAFT WAS ROLLING FROM SIDE TO SIDE BECAUSE THERE WAS A BATTLE GOING ON IN THE COCKPIT OVER THE FLIGHT CONTROLS. WHEN ALL ELSE FAILED SIR MINHAS PUSHED DOWN ON THE JOYSTICK MAKING THE AIRCRAFT GO IN A STEEP DIVE EVENTUALLY HITTING THE GROUND IN A NOSE DOWN POSITION.

THIS GREAT MAN SAVED THE HONOUR OF HIS COUNTRY BY PAYING FOR IT WITH HIS LIFE AND I SALUTE THIS GREAT HERO OF OURS. HOW MANY OF US WISHED WE WERE THERE INSTEAD OF HIM TO DO THIS HONOUR. GOD BLESS YOU MY FRIEND, THIS NATION WIL NEVER FORGET YOU.

Last edited:
The reason I have decided to open this thread is because of uninformed and derogatory comments made by some poster about Sir Rashid Minhas. This person is totally oblivious of the facts and without knowing the facts he has made value judgment on our National Hero who is so highly decorated as well, and for good reason. So I am going to shed some light on the incident and share how this tragedy came about.

Sir Rashid Minhas was a year and half my senior at the PAF Academy Risalpur ( Sir Minhas was from 51st GDP and I belonged to 54th GDP). When he graduated from PAF Academy Risalpur in March of 1971, I was promoted to 3rd term. Rashid Minhas was a sweet natured Flight Cadet / Officer and every one loved him for his gentle and friendly nature.

These were very difficult times and we still had course mates and officers/Instructors who were from East Pakistan ( present day Bangladesh ). We treated these Cadets and Officers with Dignity and decorum which was their right being officers in PAF Uniform. Now some people now may claim that it was a mistake, but I would still stand by our conduct because technically these officers were part of us and our Armed Forces. In fact, not one of our Bengali officers or their family members were ever harmed and all of them along their families were returned to Bangladesh honorably and without any harm. On the contrary, our Officers were slaughtered in Bangladesh and their families were dishonored.

Now some would argue that we were wrong in treating our Bengali officers so kindly but I would disagree. We maintained the Spirit de Corp and decorum of our traditions. The result is I still have my Bengali Course mates on my Facebook page as friends and we are still BROTHERS ( Qaiser Hussain, Majed , Nasim, Zain ul Abedin , Moin etc. too many to list). I would also remind all that it was these Pakistan Trained Bengali Officers who three and half years after Bangladesh was created, assassinated Sheikh Mujib urrehman.

Now before the separation in 1971, there were some extremist officers who conspired and sabotaged PAF facilities and the conspiracy to hijack a Pakistani plane was hatched in Masroor Air Force Base Karachi. This is where the incident took place. Five of senior Bengali Officers were part of this conspiracy. Flt. Lt. Matiur rehman volunteered for this dastardly act, since he was a Flight Instructor at No. 2 Squadron where 51st GDP was going thru “ Jet Conversion “ on T-33 ( dual seat jet trainers). They picked Rashid Minhas because they mistook his mild demeanor and gentle manners and thought that would mean that he was cowardly and will not put up much resistence upon Hijacking. Rashid Minhas was being sent on his second solo Flight to make maneuvers in the local flying area and then return to practice touch-and –go takeoffs and Landings.

As you all know Mastan Khan has been trolling making totally uninformed comments about Sir Minhas , all because he has friends whose dads knew somebody who once worked in the Air Force. I mean , get real guy, how ignorant can you be. When make comments about stuff you know nothing about you end up making a fool of yourself as you are about to find out. Mastan Khan says Rashid Minhas broke Air Force law by stopping his aircraft on the taxi track.

NO HE DID NOT. RASHID MINHAS STOPPED THE TRAINER AIRCRAFT BECAUSE THE PAF LAW REQUIRED HIM TO DO SO.

Now I am going to reveal why Sir Minhas stopped the plane. As Minhas started to Taxi to the Active , he was flagged down by Flt. Lt. Matiur rehman to stop the aircraft.

FLT. LT. MATIUR REHMAN WAS THE DESIGNATED FSO ( FLIGHT SAFETY OFFICER ) AT NO. 2 SQUADRON. THAT MEANT THAT HE COULD LEGALLY STOP ANY TRAINER AIRCRAFT FROM NO. 2 SQUADRON , ANYWHERE, TO CHECK THAT SAFETY RULES WERE BEING FOLLOWED. ALSO, ANYONE WHO HAS FLOWN T-33’S IN THE AIR FORCES AROUND THE WORLD WILL TELL YOU THAT MOST PILOTS WILL TAXI THE T-33 AIRCRAFT WITH CANOPY IN UP POSITION ON A HOT AUGUST DAY.

SIR MINHAS STOPPED THE AIRCRAFT ON “ FSO’s “ DIRECTION AS THE PAF RULES REQUIRED HIM TO DO SO. ONCE INSIDE MATIUR REHMAN TOOK OVER THE CONTROLS FROM THE REAR AND TOOK OFF. AS THINGS DAWNED ON THIS VERY YOUNG 20 YEAR OLD OFFICER AS TO WHAT WAS HAPPENING HE MADE THE MAYDAY CALL AND ONCE IT BECAME CLEAR THAT THE INSTRUCTOR WAS TRYING TO TAKE THE AIRCRAFT TO INDIA, RASHID MINHAS TRANSFORMED FROM THE MILD MANNERED PILOT OFFICER INTO A TIGER AND FOUGHT BACK WITH ALL HIS MIGHT. IN THE END THERE WAS A TUSSLE IN THE AIRCRAFT OVER THE FLIGHT CONTROLS. THOSE MEMBERS WHO ARE NOT TOO FAMILIAR WITH T-33, THE SEATS ARE TANDEM ( FRONT AND BACK SEPARATED BY A WALL). EYE WITNESSES ON THE GROUND NEAR THATTA EXPLAINED HOW THE AIRCRAFT WAS ROLLING FROM SIDE TO SIDE IN A WAY THAT APPEARED TO THESE EYE WITNESSES THAT THE AIRCRAFT WAS OUT OF CONTROL. OF COURSE WE KNOW THAT THE AIRCRAFT WAS ROLLING FROM SIDE TO SIDE BECAUSE THERE WAS A BATTLE GOING ON IN THE COCKPIT OVER THE FLIGHT CONTROLS. WHEN ALL ELSE FAILED SIR MINHAS PUSHED DOWN ON THE JOYSTICK MAKING THE AIRCRAFT GO IN A STEEP DIVE EVENTUALLY HITTING THE GROUND IN A NOSE DOWN POSITION.

THIS GREAT MAN SAVED THE HONOUR OF HIS COUNTRY BY PAYING FOR IT BY HIS LIFE AND I SALUTE THIS GREAT HERO OF OURS. HOW MANY OF US WISHED WE WERE THERE INSTEAD OF HIM TO DO THIS HONOUR. GOD BLESS YOU MY FRIEND, THIS NATION WIL NEVER FORGET YOU.
Why Minhas did not eject? Could he? Perhaps Muti-the-traitor was not donning parachute and would have ended up in hell (not that he did not already) while Minhas had lived to fight for another day.

Why Minhas did not eject? Could he? Perhaps Muti-the-traitor was not donning parachute and would have ended up in hell (not that he did not already) while Minhas had lived to fight for another day.
He wouldn't have got enough time,might be he was wounded?

regards

Sir, you have to remember that the traitor was an instructor on this aircraft and understood the system inside out. For ejection sequence to work you have to remove the safety pins from the ejection seat. The safety pins are there so that when the aircraft is on the ground and a ground technician is working on some systems, he does not get ejected accidently if he triggers the ejection system by mistake. When we fly solo in a T-33 , we fly from the front seat and remove the pins from the front ejection seat , in case we need to eject. For Solo Flights, the rear cockpit harnesses are tied up and locked and the safety pins in the rear ejection seat are left in place. Since Rashid Minhas was going solo, he had removed the Front Ejection seat safety pins but the rear seat pins were still in the rear ejection seat. Had Sir Minhas ejected, the enemy would have taken the T-33 to India and that would have been a Political Embarrassment for Pakistan. Minhas was not ready to abandon the aircraft by ejecting and saving his life but letting this fellow gain that political victory.

Last edited:
Maybe just ensuring that the traitor dies.
Bhai, I am expecting a professional answer for a legitimate question. Planes can crash and be replaced but pilots are not simple to replace. Muti-the-traitor was irrelevant in that scenario. If Minhas could struggle for controls, pulling out ejection seat's handle was perhaps easier and better an option.

Sir, you have to remember that the enemy was an instructor on this aircraft and understood the system inside out. For ejection sequence to work you have to remove the safety pins from the ejection seat. When we fly solo in a T-33 , we fly from the front seat and remove the pins from the front ejection seat , in case we need to eject. Since Rashid Minhas was going solo, he had removed the Front Ejection seat safety pins but the rear seat pins were still in the rear ejection seat. Had Sir Minhas ejected, the enemy would have taken the T-33 to India and that would have been a Political Fiasco for Pakistan. Minhas was not ready to abandon the aircraft by ejecting and saving his life but letting this fellow gain that political victory.
Thank you very much for your detailed reply. Though I am of opinion that if Minhas could eject, he should have. Political fiasco was not his headache, it was of Yehya and others who were at the helm and responsible for it.

Bhai, I am expecting a professional answer for a legitimate question. Planes can crash and be replaced but pilots are not simple to replace. Muti-the-traitor was irrelevant in that scenario. If Minhas could struggle for controls, pulling out ejection seat's handle was perhaps easier and better an option.

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. Though I am of opinion that if Minhas could eject, he should have. Political fiasco was not his headache, it was of Yehya and others who were at the helm and responsible for it.

Well he took it upon himself to prevent the Hijacking even if it meant his shahadat.

I have to ask some questions that always used 2 come to my mind when wud think abt this incident.

1. Why the traitor animal wante to take a trainer jet to india. As i what purpose it wud have served.

2. What sir Minhas fought for?. As in its clear he never cared for his life. He made the sacrifice to save his country's honor by not letting the jet taken to india?

Imean i wud go with syedali's comment he shud not have bothered with what u call pol fiasco. (Tho full respect for his sacrifice)

Lastly, if jet was actually taken to india and india obviously had allowed it to land in its territory ,wouldnt that have earned india criticism for allowing a hijacked to land??

I am sorry for noob questions but ialways used to think abt it.

And lastly, so sorry that now ppl like Rashid minhas are railed and criticized by ppl.

Well he took it upon himself to prevent the Hijacking even if it meant his shahadat.
Just curious... have you heard or read the conversation that took place between him and the ground control? Was he ever instructed to eject?

Just curious... have you heard or read the conversation that took place between him and the ground control? Was he ever instructed to eject?

Not really. After the initial calls no transmissions were received. More than likely, the instructor had disabled the radio from the rear cockpit.

Besides, when these old aircraft flew at Tree level, the transmission and reception of Radios were very poor.

Last edited:

I have listened to it, Rashid Minhas Shaheed was incapacitated by the chloroform, he was unable to answer the questions of the ATC but still kept sending transmissions that his plane has been hijacked. Must have taken an enormous deal of will power to fight off the effects of the chloroform.

There are about eight recorded exchanges. After that its complete silence

Well it's Upto your choice and how u r thinking. He was a brave young soldier and as far as I know he was flying low and was injured as well and in semi conscious state. He has no time to eject neither he has any resort to keep the plane up in the sky as unsure about Mathi is still on board so the best solution is recite kalma and take him with you. I would have done the same!

I have listened to it, Rashid Minhas Shaheed was incapacitated by the chloroform, he was unable to answer the questions of the ATC but still kept sending transmissions that his plane has been hijacked. Must have taken an enormous deal of will power to fight off the effects of the chloroform.

There are about eight recorded exchanges. After that its complete silence
Could it be possible that under the influence, he simply leaned against the throttle that made the air plane to crash? that it was not an intentional crash?

Back
Top Bottom