What's new

REMEMBERING MY SENIOR SIR RASHID MINHAS

Yes sir. If I did not state it properly---my mistake.

With this map in front of them---I want the posters to understand what happened. I want them to see for themselves---and not be mad at me just because they did not like something that I wrote.

I want the reader to understand---once the tower starts talking to the pilot and gives direction to proceed to taxi for position to take off---and pilot is taxiing to that spot---the Tower is the BOSS---. Any change of direction and order comes from the tower and tower alone.

You only stop for an act of GOD or an order from the tower and not from someone popping up from behind the bush---even if he is the base commander---that is where pakistanisage is misleading the readers.

Be it a failure on the part of instructors to pound into the minds of the pilots in training of the fact that you do not pick up stragglers---once you start your taxi---and after the start of taxi---the only orders that you follow are the from the tower or the flight leader if in case there is one.

After the commencement of taxi---you and your aircraft is only and only under the command of the tower.

Hi,

Once he started his taxi to runway---the instructor is just a mere observer----no one can stop the plane but the Tower----.

And the fact the Mati----popped up from behind the bushes is a red flag in itself---. Read my posts again. Just look at the picture and the location of hijack.

What do you think about the fact, that he could have ejected, but didn't?

Also a very strong symbolic message goes to every solider/fighter that we prefer death with dignity then live with shame. Its not just a 20 year old trainee wrestling for the control of his aircraft to save his honor. Through this feat of courage and bravery he told the world 'we' will die but we will not surrender.
Death before Disgrace

Last conversation between rashid & Masroor Base Control tower

Callsign of Rashid minhas' T-33 a/c was "Flight 66"
Last conversation between rashid & Masroor tower:
0:22 "Flight 66 is Hijacked" (Rashid Minhas Shaheed)
0:27 "Flight 66 come over" (Control Tower)
0:30 "Flight 66 is Hijacked" (Rashid Minhas Shaheed)
0:38 "By whom Hijacked.. by whom, over" (Control Tower)
0:40 "Flight 66 is Hijacked" (Rashid Minhas Shaheed)
0:42 "Hijacked by whom" (Control Tower)
0:50 "By whom, over" (Control Tower)
0:52 "Flight 66 is Hijacked" (Rashid Minhas Shaheed)

CO had not ordered him to crash. Wrong lecture to a wrong person.

Muslims dug up a trench in Ghazwa Khandaq. Those were better Muslims and were lead by a human (PBUH) for whom Allah created the universe. Who (PBUH) told them not to waste their lives unnecessarily and take all precautionary and preparatory measures before taking up the enemy. I will leave it here for I do not want to say something that will hurt people's emotions.
Why don't you consider that maybe RM did at 1st tried to recover the Trainer & in doing so there was a battle between the two men over controls which resulted in crash , still it was an act of Valour by Sir Minhas as it would be clear even to him what would happen if controls are played liked this n Trainer will crash.

What do you think about the fact, that he could have ejected, but didn't?

Hi,

That issue is debatable---. He is under the partial influence of chloroform---he is also suffering from a massive guilt of what he has done---he is feeling that he has put himself and his family to shame---he cannot believe that this is happening to him---he is feeling the consequences----he is thinking what will happen if the pane lands in india----.

This is a state of ultimate confusion for him---all his life and family are flying thru in front of his eyes---and he cannot take it----and he does what he has to do for Pakistan---even if it meant losing his life and the aircraft.

So---that in itself is a moment of pride that he did not let his error in judgement overshadow his decision to make the ultimate sacrifice---.

Hi,

Once he started his taxi to runway---the instructor is just a mere observer----no one can stop the plane but the Tower----.

And the fact the Mati----popped up from behind the bushes is a red flag in itself---. Read my posts again. Just look at the picture and the location of hijack.

Well i dont need to read ur post again as i know what u are saying. When Syedali73 first gave me this blog's link(iknow originlly someone else had shared it here), the exact parts tht u have quoted in ur prev post i quoted them here to say, something from this blog and original post doesnt match. But then i erased the post thinking blog is a reconstruction so well imust ignore it.

But then again i have a question,

"He expected Matiur-Rehman to plug in his headset and talk to him on the aircraft inter-com."

The writer himself is a flyboy and he is saying that minhas expected him to speak to him via inter com, so why would RM expect something like this unless it wud already have been a practice ? And this expected part is written by a pilot himself?

Oh and the footnote on the blog abt chloroform:

"[8] The possibility of the use of chloroform or some other chemical to immobilise Minhas is based on circumstantial evidence, as a few cotton swabs and a bottle of methylated spirit were said to have been recovered from Matiur-Rehman’s jeep (according to Minhas’ course-mate Tariq Qureshi). It is, however, somewhat far-fetched to imagine Matiur-Rehman overpowering Minhas, removing his mask and choking him with the spirit-soaked swabs during precious moments when he had to rapidly slip into the cockpit. In any case, since Matiur-Rehman knew that he was going to be improperly seated, he would have ensured a fully functional front seat pilot to fly the aircraft rather than an incapacitated one."

Last edited:
I have to ask some questions that always used 2 come to my mind when wud think abt this incident.

1. Why the traitor animal wanted to take a trainer jet to india. What purpose it wud have served.

2. What sir Minhas fought for?. As in its clear he never cared for his life. He made the sacrifice to save his country's honor by not letting the jet taken to india?

Imean i wud go with syedali's comment he shud not have bothered with what u call pol fiasco. (Tho full respect for his sacrifice)

Lastly, if jet was actually taken to india and india obviously had allowed it to land in its territory ,wouldnt that have earned india criticism for allowing a hijacked to land??

I am sorry for noob questions but ialways used to think abt it.

And lastly, so sorry that now ppl like Rashid minhas are railed and criticized by ppl.

This is a question that can be best answered by the Conspirators, however we can only speculate. The only thing that comes to mind is that these conspirators wanted to Embarrass the Pakistani Government and once in India they wanted to provide India with a PROPAGANDA TOOL.

@Pakistanisage firstly there is no substitute to the supreme sacrifice made by the young honourable officer.
He served in the best traditions of the PAF and we as a nation are truly proud of him.
Just out of interest, say had Sir Rashid Minhas ejected, what were the chances of the traitor making it across the border.
I mean the T-33 was a late 40s designed aircraft, with the canopy gone, would the culprit had been able to maintain the flight against slipstream. Thanks.

The reason I have decided to open this thread is because of uninformed and derogatory comments made by some poster about Sir Rashid Minhas. This person is totally oblivious of the facts and without knowing the facts he has made value judgment on our National Hero who is so highly decorated as well, and for good reason. So I am going to shed some light on the incident in order to dispel some of the myths and misinformation on this incident and share how this tragedy came about.

Sir Rashid Minhas was a year and half my senior at the PAF Academy Risalpur ( Sir Minhas was from 51st GDP and I belonged to 54th GDP). When he graduated from PAF Academy Risalpur in March of 1971, I was promoted to 3rd term. Rashid Minhas was a sweet natured Flight Cadet / Officer and every one loved him for his gentle and friendly nature.

These were very difficult times for all of us as our whole Nation was in a state of Political Turmoil. We still had Cadets and Officers/Instructors who were from East Pakistan ( present day Bangladesh ), actively serving in our Armed Forces. We treated these Cadets and Officers with Dignity and decorum which was their right, being serving officers in PAF/ARMY/NAVY and in Uniform. Now some people may claim that it was a mistake, but I would still stand by our conduct because technically these officers were part of us and our Armed Forces. In fact, not one of our Bengali officers or their family members were ever harmed and all of them along their families were returned to Bangladesh honorably and without any harm. On the contrary, our Officers were slaughtered in Bangladesh and their families were dishonored.

Now some would argue that we were wrong in treating our Bengali officers so kindly but I would disagree. We maintained the Spirit de Corp and decorum of our traditions. The result is I still have my Bengali Course mates on my Facebook page as friends and we are still BROTHERS ( Kaiser Hussain, Majed , Nasim ul Haq, Zain ul Abedin , Mueen Ahmed etc. too many to list). I would also remind all that it was these Pakistan Trained Bengali Officers who three and half years after Bangladesh was created, assassinated Sheikh Mujib urrehman.

Now before the separation in 1971, there were some extremist officers who conspired and sabotaged PAF facilities and the conspiracy to hijack a Pakistani plane was hatched in Masroor Air Force Base Karachi. This is where the incident took place. Five of senior Bengali Officers were part of this conspiracy. Flt. Lt. Matiur rehman volunteered for this dastardly act, since he was a Flight Instructor at No. 2 Squadron where 51st GDP was going thru “ Jet Conversion “ on T-33 ( dual seat jet trainers). They picked Rashid Minhas because they mistook his mild demeanor and gentle manners and PROBABLY thought that this means that he was cowardly and will not put up much resistence upon Hijacking. Rashid Minhas was being sent on his second solo Flight to make maneuvers in the local flying area and then return to base for practice touch-and –go takeoffs and Landings.

As you all know Mastan Khan has been trolling making totally uninformed comments about Sir Minhas , all because he has friends whose dads knew somebody who once worked in the Air Force. I mean , get real guy, how ignorant can you be. When you make comments about stuff you know nothing about, you end up making a fool of yourself as you are about to find out. Mastan Khan says Rashid Minhas broke Air Force law by stopping his aircraft on the taxi track.

NO. HE DID NOT. RASHID MINHAS STOPPED THE TRAINER AIRCRAFT ON THE TAXI TRACK , BECAUSE THE PAF LAW REQUIRED HIM TO DO SO.

Now I am going to reveal why Sir Minhas stopped the plane. As Minhas started to Taxi to the Active , he was flagged down by Flt. Lt. Matiur rehman to stop the aircraft.

FLT. LT. MATIUR REHMAN WAS THE DESIGNATED FSO ( FLIGHT SAFETY OFFICER ) AT NO. 2 SQUADRON. THAT MEANT THAT HE COULD LEGALLY STOP ANY TRAINER AIRCRAFT FROM NO. 2 SQUADRON , ANYWHERE, TO CHECK THAT SAFETY RULES WERE BEING FOLLOWED. ALSO, ANYONE WHO HAS FLOWN T-33’S IN THE AIR FORCES AROUND THE WORLD WILL TELL YOU THAT MOST PILOTS WILL TAXI THE T-33 AIRCRAFT WITH CANOPY IN UP POSITION, ESPECIALLY ON A HOT AUGUST DAY.

SIR MINHAS STOPPED THE AIRCRAFT ON “ FSO’s “ DIRECTION AS THE PAF RULES REQUIRED HIM TO DO SO. Flt. Lt. MATIUR REHMAN CLIMBED THE WING AND JUMPED INTO THE BACK SEAT. ONCE INSIDE MATIUR REHMAN TOOK OVER THE CONTROLS FROM THE REAR AND TOOK OFF. AS THINGS DAWNED ON THIS VERY YOUNG 20 YEAR OLD OFFICER AS TO WHAT WAS HAPPENING HE MADE THE CALL TO THE AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL AND ONCE IT BECAME CLEAR THAT THE INSTRUCTOR WAS TRYING TO TAKE THE AIRCRAFT TO INDIA, RASHID MINHAS TRANSFORMED FROM THE MILD MANNERED PILOT OFFICER INTO A TIGER AND FOUGHT BACK WITH ALL HIS MIGHT. IN THE END THERE WAS A TUSSLE IN THE AIRCRAFT OVER THE FLIGHT CONTROLS. THOSE MEMBERS WHO ARE NOT TOO FAMILIAR WITH T-33, THE SEATS ARE TANDEM ( FRONT AND BACK SEPARATED BY A WALL). EYE WITNESSES ON THE GROUND NEAR THATTA EXPLAINED HOW THE AIRCRAFT WAS ROLLING FROM SIDE TO SIDE IN A WAY THAT APPEARED TO THESE EYE WITNESSES THAT THE AIRCRAFT WAS OUT OF CONTROL. OF COURSE WE KNOW THAT THE AIRCRAFT WAS ROLLING FROM SIDE TO SIDE BECAUSE THERE WAS A BATTLE GOING ON IN THE COCKPIT OVER THE FLIGHT CONTROLS. WHEN ALL ELSE FAILED SIR MINHAS PUSHED DOWN ON THE JOYSTICK MAKING THE AIRCRAFT GO IN A STEEP DIVE EVENTUALLY HITTING THE GROUND IN A NOSE DOWN POSITION.

THIS GREAT MAN SAVED THE HONOUR OF HIS COUNTRY BY PAYING FOR IT WITH HIS LIFE AND I SALUTE THIS GREAT HERO OF OURS. HOW MANY OF US WISHED WE WERE THERE INSTEAD OF HIM TO DO THIS HONOUR. GOD BLESS YOU MY FRIEND, THIS NATION WIL NEVER FORGET YOU.

were you a fighter pilot?

Oh and the footnote on the blog abt chloroform:

"[8] The possibility of the use of chloroform or some other chemical to immobilise Minhas is based on circumstantial evidence, as a few cotton swabs and a bottle of methylated spirit were said to have been recovered from Matiur-Rehman’s jeep (according to Minhas’ course-mate Tariq Qureshi). It is, however, somewhat far-fetched to imagine Matiur-Rehman overpowering Minhas, removing his mask and choking him with the spirit-soaked swabs during precious moments when he had to rapidly slip into the cockpit. In any case, since Matiur-Rehman knew that he was going to be improperly seated, he would have ensured a fully functional front seat pilot to fly the aircraft rather than an incapacitated one."

Secondly, whatever the facts are or not but pakistanisage did project mastankhan in a very negative way and unnecessarily. I hadnt read the original thread where the discussion had started and going by the op i had thought mk has said something offensive . Uncalled for.
I seriously doubt chloroform theory. The methylated spirit (H3C.OH) bottle reported to be found in Mati-the-traitor’s jeep is not chloroform (HC.Cl3) rather a totally different substance that is used to wipe clean wounds etc. Secondly, unlike how it is shown in the movies and dramas, Chloroform takes several minutes to make its inhaler to pass out. I have myself inhaled the substances right from its bottle for about two minutes and all I felt was some dizziness. Under no circumstances could Mati-the-traitor make Minhas to inhale Chloroform for several minutes before Minhas would even partially pass out.

I seriously doubt chloroform theory. The methylated spirit (H3C.OH) bottle reported to be found in Mati-the-traitor’s jeep is not chloroform (HC.Cl3) rather a totally different substance that is used to wipe clean wounds etc. Secondly, unlike how it is shown in the movies and dramas, Chloroform takes several minutes to make its inhaler to pass out. I have myself inhaled the substances right from its bottle for about two minutes and all I felt was some dizziness. Under no circumstances could Mati-the-traitor make Minhas to inhale Chloroform for several minutes before Minhas would even partially pass out.

1-Why are we so sure that Mati must have kept chloroform in jeep.He could have kept it into his pocket.
2-Why only chloroform? He might be carrying an alternative:

a)Ether
b)Halothane
c)Desflurane.
d)enflurane
e)methoxyflurane
f)isoflurane
g)desflurane
h)sevoflurane

Also,a very interesting read about chloroform:

Chloroform is no longer used as an anaesthetic for several reasons, the most important of which is the relatively high risk of complications, including possible heart failure. One major problem is the very small margin of error between stage-three anaesthesia (patient physically incapable and feeling no pain) and stage-five anaesthesia (paralysis of the chest muscles, often leading to death). It can also take up to five minutes for a skilled anaesthetist to bring a patient to stage three. Chloroform was gradually replaced in the first half of the 20th century by the safer (although highly inflammable) ether, which is still used as an inexpensive anaesthetic today in some developing nations. The use of both chloroform and ether in Western nations effectively disappeared with the discovery of safer alternatives such as halothane and desflurane

3-H3C.OH? It is simply methanol right?
Well,If Mati's jeep consisted of methylated sprit then there is a chance that he could have used it as
CNS drug,Since as drugs,methanols are used as CNS depressant drugs as:

CNS depressants, sometimes referred to as sedatives and tranquilizers, are substances that can slow brain activity. This property makes them useful for treating anxiety and sleep disorders.

4-Concentration of chemicals:Another key to think
5-Such anesthetics can be made at home as well.It is not an issue to make him unconscious,Mati would have used ether as an alternative.

Regards

Last edited:
@Pakistanisage firstly there is no substitute to the supreme sacrifice made by the young honourable officer.
He served in the best traditions of the PAF and we as a nation are truly proud of him.
Just out of interest, say had Sir Rashid Minhas ejected, what were the chances of the traitor making it across the border.
I mean the T-33 was a late 40s designed aircraft, with the canopy gone, would the culprit had been able to maintain the flight against slipstream. Thanks.

Anything we say at this juncture would be a hypothetical and conjecture on our part. however I can give some personal views on the likelihood of Matiur ur Rehman making it to India.

I guess your question is really asking if the T-33 would have been airworthy, aerodynamically speaking, after it lost its canopy and the answer would have to be a possibly yes, albeit a rough flight. There have been cases around the World, where T-33 canopy was totally destroyed due to bird hits or canopy blown off and PIC having landed safely.

As long as Rashid Minhas was in on board , there was a battle going on inside the aircraft which btw was flying at tree level because Matiur Rehman wanted avoid Radar detection, lest the aircraft was shot down by Pakistani fighter Pilots. We know that at least four fighters were scrambled and were airborne looking desperately for the hijacked T-33.

The crash site was just 32 miles from the Indian Border. Had Matiur crossed the border all by himself, he would probably would have gotten all the help from Indians, especially the Ground Controllers of Indian Radar units, because as we learned later, Matiur's family had already moved to Indian Consulate in Karachi, so obviously the Indians were already aware of the plan being hatched.

Rashid was quite aware that the rear seat could not be ejected because the rear ejection seat safety pins were still in the seat. So had he ejected , the traitor would have been successful in taking the aircraft to India.

Please keep in mind this whole scenario took place in less than 15 minutes from Take-off to crash and in these 15 minutes this 20 year old hero was fighting tooth and nail on the flight controls with the traitor. Just imagine, within these 15 minutes what he must have gone through mentally, going from initial shock and disbelief that he was being hijacked by an Instructor of his Squadron , to realizing that only he was in a position to stop this maniac as no help could possibly come from outside as they were flying at treetop level so they cannot be spotted on Ground Radars. He fought on the flight controls like a warrior and in the end made the ultimate sacrifice.

Last edited:
Anything we say at this juncture would be a hypothetical and conjecture on our part. however I can give some personal views on the likelihood of Matiur ur Rehman making it to India.

I guess your question is really asking if the T-33 was airworthy aerodynamically, after it lost its canopy and the answer would have to be a possibly yes, albeit a rough flight. There has been cases around the World where T-33 canopy was totally destroyed due to bird hits or canopy blown off and PIC having landed safely.

As long as Rashid Minhas was in on board , there was a battle going on inside the aircraft which btw was flying at tree level because Matiur Rehman wanted avoid Radar detection, lest the aircraft was shot down by Pakistani fighter Pilots. We know that four fighters were airborne looking desperately for the hijacked T-33.

The crash site was just 32 miles from the Indian Border. Had Matiur crossed the border all by himself, he would probably would have gotten all the help from Indians, because as we learned later, Matiur's family had already moved to Indian Consulate in Karachi, so obviously the Indians were already aware of the plan being hatched.

Rashid was quite aware that the rear seat could not be ejected because the rear ejection seat safety pins were still in the seat. So had he ejected , the traitor would have been successful in taking the aircraft to India.

Please keep in mind this whole scenario took place in less than 15 minutes from Take-off to crash and in these 15 minutes this 20 year old hero was fighting tooth and nail on the flight controls with the traitor. Just imagine, within these 15 minutes what he must have gone through mentally, going from initial shock and disbelief that he was being hijacked by an Instructor of his Squadron , to realizing that only he was in a position to stop this maniac as no help could possibly come from outside as they were flying at treetop level so they cannot be spotted on Ground Radars. He fought on the flight controls like a warrior and in the end made the ultimate sacrifice.

Sir,you are wasting your time to make people realize that how much guts are required to gain self control and to take decisions fast while keeping Pakistan first policy on board.I am quite disappointed to see people questioning over his action to thwart Mati and to sacrifice his life.What I am seeing are just conspiracy and rants to a young personnel,now I can understand your condition,few days back.Seriously,Pakistan ka khuda hafiz!

regards

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILED SIR MINHAS PUSHED DOWN ON THE JOYSTICK MAKING THE AIRCRAFT GO IN A STEEP DIVE EVENTUALLY HITTING THE GROUND IN A NOSE DOWN POSITION.

The tricep is always stronger than the bicep. That's why pushing the stick was easier than pulling it. I'm assuming both pilots had a similar body build.

Now tell me, could Mati-Ur-Rahman have ejected himself when the plane was pointed downwards and there was no way to save it?

If so, and he didn't, that means he was there to "do or die" as well.

Also, do you think it is okay to verbally abuse someone who has been dead for more than 40 years ? Regardless of who's side they were on ?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom