What's new

Lahore women college bans jeans

Status
Not open for further replies.
South India is another example where women and girls are not familiar with Jeans due to same mentality which taliban are forcing on us here. The same mentality prevails in South India too.

I think the girls dresses were to covered...:hitwall:

South Indian Girls have to partially show the midriff....:cheesy:

Shorter T-shirts would have done the job....:yahoo:

Well times of india, spiced it up a bit, and twisted it around, to make it a propaganda.

When you read the times news(pakistani Source), its a diffrent story.

I don't see why it's even news worthy period period:disagree:

ok, seriously you need to do a little reserch before you start yapping, Alcohol is not banned for christens, and other minorities in pakistan, they are free to buy it and drink it.

yeah there is even pakistani brewery company which makes murree beer which is openly operating and one of the brewery is in nwfp of all places lol

so what i understand from my INDIAN people fateh and so on is that in order to be progressive and "libreal minded" we need to allow all this stuff.....well see when muslims ruled the world the world copied muslims....this was followed by the renicenoncous....when the world was going through dark ages muslims had places like baghdad and spain where people came to learn culture manner attiqutes...but fair enough now the world is ruled by the west in every field so i guess stripping and skimpy clotihng defines progress!!!

great FATEH great....

I don't see why it's even news worthy period period:disagree:
Thank you!

Guys I don't know how many of you have studied in local schools or colleges but usually we are given a list on the code of conduct and dress code list at the beginning of the year. Stuff like this usually makes it on it. Remember how you couldn't wear black socks with black boots... It's no different.

So yes KC is an all-girls' college but like everywhere else there is a decorum that they would like to maintain. As for not allowing jeans, it's the college policy baba... If they have had it in their rules then this debate can't do anything about it...

Just wondering, where are the Renaissance, breweries and minorities rights coming in from...

Just a quick question to the Indians who have openly asked for the freedom of girls to wear whatever they want ?? How about Bikinis at the beachside ?

Will you allow your mothers and daughters to wear mini skirts to work ?
What are the reaction of men in india when they see mini skirts in the street ?

Answer this and then we can maybe realise the essence of what the Pakistanis are talking about in this forum ?

Just a quick question to the Indians who have openly asked for the freedom of girls to wear whatever they want ?? How about Bikinis at the beachside ?

Answer this and then we can maybe realise the essence of what the Pakistanis are talking about in this forum ?

Hold on do not divert the discussion soon you may start discussing about nude beaches. You can see quite a few girls in bikinis in Goa and some other beaches in India. The discussion is about Jeans which covers the body and probably gender bias.

Yes should be allowed, infact there are many beaches in india where ppl wear bikinis (i've seen topless sunbathers in goa), most of them foreigners, but there is no BAN on indians, thats the point.

Some of us may and some of us may not, its irrelevant as i'm not telling anyone to wear jeans too. whats relevant is that if the particular institution allows, then i can't BAN OTHERS from doing it.

Its almost never seen in india, very very few places u'll see ppl wearing minis, ppl stare. in more conservative / rural parts it will be scandalous. but there is no LAW against it. It can't be banned.

see what some pakistanis are saying and what some indians are saying is the same thing, that a college gets to decide the dress code, thats fine. whats not fine is some protectors of culture and morality getting to decide and enforce their ideas on others. some ppl said that its pakistani culture and must be enforced, that dear sir, is nonsense. no subjective ideas like 'culture' should come in the way of individual freedom. Thats a slippery slope, if you know what i mean.

Last edited:

You are mixing up personal choice with freedom of choice. Here is a famous quote by Voltaire, which, although spoken in a different context, captures the spirit of freedom.

"I may disagree with what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it"

You personally may not like a particular dress, but you do not have the right to prevent others from wearing it.

PS: If the college has a dress code, then the college is completely within its rights to enforce the dress code. I personally do not see the reason behind this brouhaha. Its not as if, the girls are prohibited from wearing jeans in their social circle, outside of the college.

I think this thread has completly missed it's intent. It wasn't suppose to be which one is better, jeans or salvaar kameez. There is nothing wront if they wear salvaar kameez I would say. I think women look more beautiful in salvaar kameez, now that's my opinion. But that's not the point. The issue should of been chang in society and values from threat within. Today they changed to salvaar kameez. What is going to be tommrow? Do we keep giving into the threats and not confront them? It's not confined to Pakistan's border, it is probably hapening in India too.

You finally realised it after 84 posts — that's great :cheers:

We shouldn't be bothered if the college is enforcing its policies... which is apparently the case here. I still have to come across this story in any other newspaper publication in Pakistan (does anyone have any link to those here if they have seen it here in the local press?). True to its core, the Dailytimes carried a story to cash on the current socio-political climate of the country. May be we should ignore this, as it is it borders on the tabloid, and opt for something with more credibility and less crunch :)

Reactions: S-2
ummm....bikinis are ok when worn at the beachsides....you might be amazed to know that there is a nude beach in goa...people are not averse to seeing foreigners being stark naked there or in bikinis...as far we indians are concerned...the no. of people wearing bikinis is minuscule...but there is still no ban...
Indian working women in the metropolitans have got no apprehensions in wearing jeans...and other western dresses...they wear trousers and knee-length skirts to work...i dont know about pakistan...but it's considered decent and formal in India...
most schools even in rural areas have knee length skirts as part of their school uniforms...times are fast changing in India...
the reactions a lot of times are horrible...
we live in two Indias Andy....one is the rural orthodox india...which believes in the pardah system...and the other is the rapidly grwoing modern cosmopolitan India...where women enjoy rights almost at par with many western countries...
from what i gather...most pakistanis support the ban....they find wearing jeans as immoral...and most Indians dont hold that view...

Not only on this board but some known organizations in your own country too need not little but alot of education on individual freedom.

The case of the attack on girls at a pub in Mangalore, India for wearing Jeans is still afresh.

South India is another example where women and girls are not familiar with Jeans due to same mentality which taliban are forcing on us here. The same mentality prevails in South India too.

The dress discrimination against women is not new. They were subjected to the same during Nazi rule in Germany too.

And where in my post did i incur that this was Pakistan thing? I said some people on this board need some lessons on Individual freedom. You guys are just way too defensive on issues.

And the attack on girls in Mangalore was not for wearing jeans but drinking alcohol. Still unacceptable. It was also widely condemned in India. Remember the pink chaddi protests?

You finally realised it after 84 posts — that's great :cheers:

We shouldn't be bothered if the college is enforcing its policies... which is apparently the case here. I still have to come across this story in any other newspaper publication in Pakistan (does anyone have any link to those here if they have seen it here in the local press?). True to its core, the Dailytimes carried a story to cash on the current socio-political climate of the country. May be we should ignore this, as it is it borders on the tabloid, and opt for something with more credibility and less crunch :)

And in case you did not know, there was a huge thread opened here few weeks ago. Debating a decision of Indian Supreme Court to not allow a muslim student to sport a beard, as his college required all students to be clean shaven. And many Pakistani members here conveniently concluded that it was an excellent example of 'Indian opression' against minorities. And most of those members are vehemently supporting this particular incident. Double standards in my opinion.

Only one answer to both the issues. Don't bother when educational institutes follow certain kind of dress code or attire related regulations.

And in case you did not know, there was a huge thread opened here few weeks ago. Debating a decision of Indian Supreme Court to not allow a muslim student to sport a beard, as his college required all students to be clean shaven. And many Pakistani members here conveniently concluded that it was an excellent example of 'Indian opression' against minorities. And most of those members are vehemently supporting this particular incident. Double standards in my opinion.

Only one answer to both the issues. Don't bother when educational institutes follow certain kind of dress code or attire related regulations.
I don't know the context in which that debate was held. I just hope this ends :)

Yes, we are rife with double standards here... but we really can't do anything about it can we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom