What's new

Indians takeover RMG sector in Bangladesh

RMG sector is of STRATEGIC value to the country :rofl: :rofl:

On Topic - Great Going by Indians, With the Blessings of God & Hard Work of RAWAMYs, one day we will takeover all of BD itself.

Indians get ready to get kicked out ....

Turkish and Bangladeshi are not security risk for USA, but Indians are for Bangladesh, no offense. And I would have no problem hiring Indian nationals in the US, for the same reason.

Define security risk...

Here is clear evidance that Awami League instigated the latest unrest exploting long running salary grievance of workers and destroying garment sector. Awami League role should have been intermidiary btw owners and workers, instead Awami League serving indian interest by crippling owners and making way for india to take over Bangladesh garments indutry.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Politics blamed for unrest in RMG sector

Faruque Ahmed

A minister’s open involvement in garment workers’ politics has been blamed for the latest unrest in the country’s RMG sector. People tend to believe that narrow politics must not destabilize the industry.

Violence in the country’s garment sector took a fiercer turn as the garment workers passed off the 6th consecutive day vandalizing and agitating on the streets on Thursday last which indicates that the industry is facing a fresh crisis and destabilization. The government deployed Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) personnel at Gazipur on the weekend to protect factories and vehicles in the Dhaka-Tangail highway.

Apart from Gazipur, the violence has spread to Ashulia, Savar and Narayanganj around the capital. It is also reported in the port city of Chittagong as the workers are putting a united front to realize the minimum wage package. Owners have so far offered a 20 per cent wage hike from existing Tk 3000 minimum wage only to cause serious reaction from the workers’ side.

There is a consensus that the workers must get a decent wage package in the wake of the Rana Plaza collapse which brought the plight of the garment workers to headlines in the global media. But various quarters are also reportedly at work to exploit the workers’ anger against the factory owners to create rooms for realizing their own political interest.

In fact, the demand for higher wages turned into

Shipping Minister’s role

a crisis from last Saturday when Shipping Minister Shahjahan Khan gathered garment workers at a rally at the city’s Suhrawardy Udyan from the industrial belts around the capital. He arranged hundreds of transports for the workers to carry them to the city centre and declared he has strong support behind them.

Workers were inspired by the call of the minister from early morning of the day and went berserk as they took to the street at mid-morning.
Violence immediately spread to Gazipur and Ashulia area and later to Savar and Narayanganj industrial belt. At Gazipur workers attacked an Ansar camp and reportedly looted arms and ammunition, set fire on vehicles and attacked factories.

The matter did not slip attention of others. People immediately started questioning as to why a minister has become so enthusiastic to organize garment workers when he is known as a leader of the transport workers and now holding a cabinet portfolio of the ministry of shipping.

There is a minister for labour and yet another minister for textile but what prompted the shipping minister to take the leadership of the garment workers in hand at a sensitive political situation.

No government reaction

But it appears strange that there is no government reaction for breaking the internal discipline of the functional order of the cabinet. Two years ago, when minister Shahjahan Khan openly came intervening with the functioning of the ministry of communication in matters related to issuing of driving license to illiterate and unskilled people, there was similar acquiesce from the government side. But this time the minister’s indulgence to garment workers politics has been blamed for adding provocations to workers to become violent.

BNP secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir said garment sector was normal but the minister’s call has turned the workers to abandon work place and become violent. He said, clearly the minister is exploiting the situation to harvest political gain.

Full report:
Holiday

China, India, Pakistan now eyeing Bangladesh's RMG destinations
Political instability, labor unrest blamed

Published : Saturday, 28 September 2013
Badrul Ahsan

China, India and Pakistan are set to lure away buyers of ready-made garments (RMG) from Bangladesh by offering rock-bottom prices.

These countries have also assured timely shipment.

The move has sent Bangladesh's RMG exports into a tailspin, industry insiders said.

Garment manufacturers said their exports had been growing steadily for the last couple of years despite global recession. Orders meant for China were redirected to Bangladesh for its low-cost apparels.

But the growth has slowed down sharply since July last. It is heading towards negative trajectory as China, India and Pakistan have made moves to woo many foreign buyers by launching a price war, sources said.

They said the price gap especially of high-end products between Bangladeshi exporters and China, India and other competing countries is not high. Now the competing countries have adopted different higher production capacity-based technology like lean system and have brought production cost down. This has led them to offer rock-bottom prices, they said.

"Many buyers were redirecting their sourcing base from China and India till last financial year (FY) 2012-13, but now these countries have adopted new policy to bring those buyers back to their fold again," Managing Director of Envoy Group Abdus Salam Murshedy told the FE.

"Local manufacturers could not secure the required orders as Chinese, Indian and Pakistani exporters are offering cheaper prices along with timely shipment. Bangladeshi exporters could hardly offer these due to labor unrest," he added.

According to him, many reputed buyers would now source high and middle-end products from India and China due to political volatility as well as workers' unrest in Bangladesh. Local manufacturers are failing to ship goods on time and their manufacturing costs have also increased. The competing countries are making desperate attempts to capitalize the situation, Mr Murshedy added.

Abdul Hamid, deputy chief of the Bangladesh chapter of a buying house 'Preteli Clothing' said their buyers had been sourcing both low and middle-end cloths from Bangladesh for the last couple of years. But for the last couple of months, placement of orders in Bangladesh declined drastically.

"To be frank, RMG products from China, India and Pakistan are now cheaper than those of Bangladesh. This has forced our buyers to rethink about the sourcing destinations," he added.

"It's one of the reasons why Bangladesh's growth has suddenly fallen although it looked perfectly alright till end of last fiscal year despite global recession," he said.

According to him, these three countries are increasingly introducing highly productive technology involving less manpower and this has made their items competitive in the market.

Abdul Majid, General Manager of Top Fashion Ltd, said his company could hardly get orders of high-valued items from buyers in the last few months.

"There is a huge scramble for low to high-end products in the international market. But Bangladeshi exporters are failing to make any headway in getting such orders especially of high-end apparel items," he pointed out.

"In the past, we used to wage price war only among ourselves. But now it has gone out of our hand," Majid informed.

Mr Majid, however, said Pakistan won't be a threat in the long run, but Bangladesh should watch out China and India which have come back strongly.

However, according to data available with the Export Promotion Bureau (EPB), readymade garment export of the country maintained a marginal growth in the first two months of the current fiscal.

The EPB data showed no sub-sector of garments except knitwear could achieve its growth targeted for the period.

http://www.thefinanc...V85MF8xODUwMTQ=

Turkish and Bangladeshi are not security risk for USA, but Indians are for Bangladesh, no offense. And I would have no problem hiring Indian nationals in the US, for the same reason.

It means all the Indians working and living in Bd are RAW moles trying to destabilize the economy of the country. In reality, JI people are the worst kind of destabilizing factor in BD. JI wants BD to fail which will give them a good point to curse an independent Bangladesh.

This news article is a piece of trash where the legal demand of the workers is camouflaged with a conspiracy theory by the Indian managers. Why should someone blame Indians for this? This kind of propaganda is a JI ploy to destroy the textile industry.

During my last visit to quite a few garments factories in Dhaka and Mawna I have noticed Indians, SL, Phillipinos, Indians and even Pakistanis working in managerial positions. I saw that Pakistani GM shouting orders in pure Urdu. I asked him about learning Bangla. He replied, it is a difficult languge to learn, but he is trying. He also said, every one understands Urdu.

It is important that these people are employed. They only fill up the gaps in between top level owners group and the workers. Many BD young educated people are averse to textile mills jobs. They go for Banks and others for employment. So, this is why some owners hire foreigners.

This is an age of internationalism. This is why our half educated people are also getting employment in millions in other countries. This is not a time to blame everything India and Indians who are guest workers and are contributing to the development of the textile industry with their prior experience and leadership quality.

It is no time to talk of conspiracy theory when these Indians themselves will be burned if factories remain closed. As usual, this JI newspaper is talking a blatant lie.

What about this:

অবিশ্বাস্য হলেও সত্য, একদা বাংলাদেশের তৈরী পোশাক শিল্পের অহঙ্কার হিসেবে পরিচিত এসকিউ, ক্রিস্টাল, মাস্টার্ড, হলিউড, শান্তা, রোজ, ফরচুনা, ট্রাস্ট, এজাক্স, শাহরিয়ার, স্টারলি, ইউনিয়ন প্রমুখ দেশসেরা গার্মেন্ট কারখানার মালিক এখন ভারতীয়রা। বেশির ভাগ ক্ষেত্রেই নিজ দেশের ওই ম্যানেজারদের যোগসাজশে ভারতীয় বংশোদ্ভূত ব্রিটিশ, আমেরিকান, কানাডিয়ান নাগরিকেরা কিনে নিয়েছেন এসব কারখানা।

--JI propaganda?

China, India and Pakistan have made moves to woo many foreign buyers by launching a price war, sources said.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/bangla...er-rmg-sector-bangladesh-4.html#ixzz2gGi9WyHn

Now the competing countries have adopted different higher production capacity-based technology like lean system and have brought production cost down.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/bangla...er-rmg-sector-bangladesh-4.html#ixzz2gGh95mbx

So if they can adopt Lean System or other effective operation management system, and better technology, then it's normal that they would offer their offers at lower cost even their labor cost is not lower than BD.

BD might lose market if it only depends on cheap labors.

the starting salary for new worker is 3000, with over time and everything a new worker learning his/her trade picks up around 5-6 k ....so this figure of 3000 tk is quite unfairly quoted. Dude, have you ever sat in a meeting with a western buyer? these guys will fight for 2-3 cents over a week or two and yet they are hardly pleased. The market is saturated and the profits are not what it used to be....8000 tk per month for a new worker, adding over time will destroy the RMG sector of Bangladesh...if this comes to action the older workers' salary will also increase, the garments will not be feasible. I prefer signing ticfa.

Big problem will be driving luxurious cars keeping chauffeur in posh area of Toronto that even other residents of that area can't afford, only Bangladeshi garment owners' families can. This is what one BGMEA guy was saying once. We can't risk this lifestyle for some mere workers caged in a garments for whole daylong. We have PoLeague, they'll inject bullet in body if these dirty souls raise voice.

That's quite low in Indian standards..roughly about 2300 INR which comes to around 78 INR a day....in India the minimum salary for unskilled jobs is about Rs 250 a day. Even a rickshaw puller definitely earns more than Rs 300 a day in India. No wonder the poor Bangladeshis want to swarm to India.

One rickshaw puller on average earns 500 taka a day in Bangladesh, this is why indians come here in BD and we're on top of indian remittance sender countries. And the talks here are on RMG sectors where most of the labors are women. In BD women don't take the profession of rickshaw puller.

What about this:

অবিশ্বাস্য হলেও সত্য, একদা বাংলাদেশের তৈরী পোশাক শিল্পের অহঙ্কার হিসেবে পরিচিত এসকিউ, ক্রিস্টাল, মাস্টার্ড, হলিউড, শান্তা, রোজ, ফরচুনা, ট্রাস্ট, এজাক্স, শাহরিয়ার, স্টারলি, ইউনিয়ন প্রমুখ দেশসেরা গার্মেন্ট কারখানার মালিক এখন ভারতীয়রা। বেশির ভাগ ক্ষেত্রেই নিজ দেশের ওই ম্যানেজারদের যোগসাজশে ভারতীয় বংশোদ্ভূত ব্রিটিশ, আমেরিকান, কানাডিয়ান নাগরিকেরা কিনে নিয়েছেন এসব কারখানা।

--JI propaganda?

Of course, it is a propaganda, do not know who is propagating this, though. Why it is an issue if the BD half-educated owners cannot run a business and a British or Canadian comes and buys it by paying hard cash?

When the GoB is trying to attract FDI, I cannot understand why some one should be so influenced by a negative propaganda? It is a typical Conspiracy Theory at its best with Indians doing all the dirty works. I am not the one to rush after the eagle.

Angel-white British or Negro-black Bangladeshi owner, it is meaningless if the industry is located within the boundary of BD.

By the way, one Bangladeshi living in Japan and having children with Japanese nationality have bought a towel factory in BD. I know both the parties. Go and please find out if this purchasing has something to do with conspiracy between Indians and Japanese.

"Joto Dosh Nondo Ghosh," and "Naach na Jaane to Angan Terha." are the two-anti-conspiracy proverbs I can recall.

Big problem will be driving luxurious cars keeping chauffeur in posh area of Toronto that even other residents of that area can't afford, only Bangladeshi garment owners' families can. This is what one BGMEA guy was saying once. We can't risk this lifestyle for some mere workers caged in a garments for whole daylong. We have PoLeague, they'll inject bullet in body if these dirty souls raise voice.

Oti Loove tati nosto jeno na hoy.

BD's GDP is growing, as it is claimed, why wont the daily workers enjoy that too? The garments owners now may understand that time has advanced further, now you wont get the maximum from the exploitation of cheap labors, they daily workers deserve more share on the owners' profits. If the garment owners ignore this reality, then may lose business to other country.

The matter did not slip attention of others. People immediately started questioning as to why a minister has become so enthusiastic to organize garment workers when he is known as a leader of the transport workers and now holding a cabinet portfolio of the ministry of shipping.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/bangla...er-rmg-sector-bangladesh-4.html#ixzz2gGmSaKow

Seems BAL has an agenda here.

Of course, it is a propaganda, do not who is propagating this, though. Why it is an issue if the BD half-educated owners cannot run a business and a British or Canadian comes and buys it by paying hard cash?

When the GoB is trying to attract FDI, I cannot understand why some one should be so influenced by a negative propaganda? It is a typical Conspiracy Theory at its best with Indians doing all the dirty works. I am not the one to rush after the eagle.

Angel-white British or Negro-black Bangladeshi, it is meaningless if the industry is located within the boundary of BD.

I do not know whether এসকিউ, ক্রিস্টাল, মাস্টার্ড, হলিউড, শান্তা, রোজ, ফরচুনা, ট্রাস্ট, এজাক্স, শাহরিয়ার, স্টারলি, ইউনিয়ন are owned by Indians now or not. But I do not know how you call it FDI when BD owners sell their reputated companies unwillingly to a foreigner. FDI is supposed not to make the owners unhappy and sell their company, right?

We have people here from Gopalgonj clan whose reasoning gets skewed because of their personal or clan interest. Problem is KZ and her party is incompetent and that is why all these elements are getting away with their misdeeds.

Of course, it is a propaganda, do not who is propagating this, though. Why it is an issue if the BD half-educated owners cannot run a business and a British or Canadian comes and buys it by paying hard cash?

Angel-white British or Negro-black Bangladeshi, it is meaningless if the industry is located within the boundary of BD.

If there were some sort of orchestrations in acquiring those industries by indians, sure I have problem and regarding indian everyone knows what are in their minds. I remember their cricket coach once didn't even get back to Bangladesh violating the agreement after we did severely bad in ICC back in 80s probably which clearly showed one indian mindset. You can't accept doesn't mean it's a propaganda. india has strong agent BAL here who serve their master and don't take from master rather pay to its master. From 2003 to 2005/6 the same things were carried out by BAL and then india exceeded Bangladesh on RMG. Being rational is good but that may look fit in Oxford not with a low life nation where more than half of the people practice open defecation (for example) and what is rationality is out of their catch.

I clearly have problem indian owning an industry in BD. Do they allow our satellite channels in india while hundreds of theirs are running here in BD, why would I allow them here?

I clearly have problem indian owning an industry in BD. Do they allow our satellite channels in india while hundreds of theirs are running here in BD, why would I allow them here?

If all of us are so incompetent and are suffering from inferiority complex vis-a-vis India and when every other Bangladeshis are seeing Indian agents in every nook and corner of the country, then my question is why should our kind of people need an independent country?

Some of our people have such a low self-esteem I would have not known it unless I have joined this forum. We perhaps do not need a country if all our citizens are such a low esteemed people.

But, people out of this computer screen are certainly different.

We don't need any managers or owners or FDI from India, they are not welcome, any other country in the world is welcome. We did not make separate country to become their vassal state.

And those who welcome them in the name of free and open market, I should ask them to try to find how free and open market they have in India, where Muslim lives are not even safe from frequent riots.

Back
Top Bottom