What's new

Happy Pahela Boishakh 1420 (Bengali New Year) to all

happy new year folks, mmm the food looks well done especially that fish. Somebody from there, please gift me all you can eat white dumplings with sweet sauce for a year hahaha.
2153910426_22ca5061e5.jpg

Just curious, what seasoning are on that fish/poisson(cumin powder?)!

New year greetings (Shuvo Nababarsho) :) . If it's fried, not only cumin powder but all spices like turmeric, onion, garlic pests are used for seasoning. There's one different dish of Hilsha fish which doesn't require all these, only a bit of turmeric and salt are required. The fish is prepared only with water, turmeric and salt. On new year both these types are served with half decomposed rice (panta rice).

New year greetings (Shuvo Nababarsho) :) . If it's fried, not only cumin powder but all spices like turmeric, onion, garlic pests are used for seasoning. There's one different dish of Hilsha fish which doesn't require all these, only a bit of turmeric and salt are required. The fish is prepared only with water, turmeric and salt. On new year both these types are served with half decomposed rice (panta rice).

Wow, lots of spicy goodness in terms of seasonings though curious, is garlic paste added to increase texture or is it used as a paste to mix seasoning?

Wow, lots of spicy goodness in terms of seasonings though curious, is garlic paste added to increase texture or is it used as a paste to mix seasoning?

Panta and Hilsha on Pohela Boishakh is a funny tradition.
People just do that for fun. To me those two items not equate each other.

Hilsha is a great fish. To me its the king of fishes. You should try it.
Im sure you can have them in Canada. There are lots of recipies of the mighty fish.

547942_378212822291324_1225243835_n.jpg

Im sure you can have them in Canada. There are lots of recipies of the mighty fish.
I am amazed. We are actually agreeing on something.the prosetion in charukola started copying charu path jessor..but who started this silly panta-ilish?no where in rural BD ppl eat this food combo.rural ppl too poor to afford ilish(2500tk per fish last heard)the ones that do eat ilish(barisal and there about) regularly do not eat with panta.

547942_378212822291324_1225243835_n.jpg

Cruchy-Haddock_WebGallery.jpg

Good day to you my friend, is the delicacy similar to the crunchy haddock above, I believe Mckelvies also put a tad bit of of tumeric with the fish but it still does not look similar to that goodness above :). Also what is the delicacy on the right, I live near a fishing town but I have never seen any fish/poisson with similar cuts(fresh water fish?)!

Cruchy-Haddock_WebGallery.jpg

Good day to you my friend, is the delicacy similar to the crunchy haddock above, I believe Mckelvies also put a tad bit of of tumeric with the fish but it still does not look similar to that goodness above :). Also what is the delicacy on the right, I live near a fishing town but I have never seen any fish/poisson with similar cuts(fresh water fish?)!

No, actually this is an asset of our country only. Its a fresh water( river) fish.
Its also found in India, myanmar and Thailand.
But they are not of real taste. I gussed Bengali ppl living in your country might import it.
You cant separate Bengali without Hilsha fish.

Im only interested in Samon fish other than Hilsha. I guess samon can compete Hilsha.
But never tasted :)

I am amazed. We are actually agreeing on something.the prosetion in charukola started copying charu path jessor..but who started this silly panta-ilish?no where in rural BD ppl eat this food combo.rural ppl too poor to afford ilish(2500tk per fish last heard)the ones that do eat ilish(barisal and there about) regularly do not eat with panta.

I guess Both Pahela Baishakh and Hilsha were connected to Hindu Ritual... I am not sure ....

In many Bengali Hindu families two Ilish fishes (Joda Ilish) are bought on special auspicious days, like some pujas. It is considered auspicious to buy two Ilish fishes on the day of Saraswati Puja (The Goddess of Learning and Beauty), which takes place in the beginning of Spring and also on the day of Lakshmi Puja (The Goddess of Wealth and Prosperity) which takes place in autumn. But this custom is prevalent mainly among the Bengali Hindus of former East Bengal many of whom now live in West Bengal, Barak Valley in Assam and Tripura in India after the Partition of India. Some of them give Ilish fish as an offering to the goddess Lakshmi, without which the Puja is sometimes thought to be incomplete.

@kobiraaz , how many people in rural BD do U see having panta-hilsha (even the well off ones) during pohela baishak? Its just that its not a common trend to be regarded as a part of culture IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
@kobiraaz , how many people in rural BD do U see having panta-hilsha (even the well off ones) during pohela baishak? Its just that its not a common trend to be regarded as a part of culture IMO.

হুজুগে
হুজুগে
হুজুগে
হুজুগে

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom