What's new

Happy Pahela Boishakh 1420 (Bengali New Year) to all

0003933_grand_aamish_thali_tero_parbon.jpeg

Panta and Hilsha on Pohela Boishakh is a funny tradition.
People just do that for fun. To me those two items not equate each other.

Hilsha is a great fish. To me its the king of fishes. You should try it.
Im sure you can have them in Canada. There are lots of recipies of the mighty fish.

547942_378212822291324_1225243835_n.jpg

I find Panta and Hilsha the worse combo. The king of fish deserve something better than Panta :lol:.

Panta and Hilsha on Pohela Boishakh is a funny tradition.
People just do that for fun. To me those two items not equate each other.

Hilsha is a great fish. To me its the king of fishes. You should try it.
Im sure you can have them in Canada. There are lots of recipies of the mighty fish.

547942_378212822291324_1225243835_n.jpg

I find Panta and Hilsha the worse combo. The king of fish deserve something better than Panta :lol:.

happy new year (Pahela Boishakh )
Good to see BD prople is still connected to their Bengali culture after some 2 months voilence.

I guess Both Pahela Baishakh and Hilsha were connected to Hindu Ritual... I am not sure ....

Edeshis (ghotis) celebrate lakshmi puja on boisakh. Bangals don't. And they don't eat amish on that day.

15cal01.jpg

@LaBong do you guys follow Vikram Samvat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure, we follow the traditional Indian calendar which is in sync with harvesting season.

Did you celebrate any festival on 11 April Chaitra Navratra. It was the new year of Vikram Samvat year 2070.

Did you celebrate any festival on 11 April Chaitra Navratra. It was the new year of Vikram Samvat year 2070.

As far as I have read west Bengal has tied itself to Vikram Samvat or some other base. While our year is 1420 Bongabdo, west Bengal Saal is something different. Is it Horshabdo 2070? Can someone from west Bengal clear the matter?

As far as I have read west Bengal has tied itself to Vikram Samvat or some other base. While our year is 1420 Bongabdo, west Bengal Saal is something different. Is it Horshabdo 2070? Can someone from west Bengal clear the matter?

Bengali calender is different from Vikram Samvat. Vikram Samvat and Saka Samvat are two widely used calenders in India.

We follow the saka calendar. It's 1420 bongabdo/sakabdo here.

Although I don't know why Bangladesh celebrate poila boisakh a day early and why they call it pahela boisakh.

Although I don't know why Bangladesh celebrate poila boisakh a day early and why they call it pahela boisakh.

Who started Bengali calender 1420 years back. 2013 is the year 1935 on Saka Samvat.

We follow a revised version by Bangla Academy which corresponds with the Gregorian Calendar and has a leap year and everything!We revised it in 1966 and adopted it in 1987.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom