What's new

Bangladesh purchased around 2 billion dollar weapons in last 4 years

Most of these procurements are haphazard. Only benefited Tulip (niece of Hasina) and Putin.

Most of these procurements are haphazard. Only benefited Tulip (niece of Hasina) and Putin.

Most of it is bought from China.Considering what we had,this is a major step up.

Also the Trade Register from SIPIRI dosen't get every single arms transactions. It doesn't mention the USCG Ship from America or any Indigenous Projects.

However overall,this is very good news. Now we just have to wait for the russians and BDians to release the list of Arms brought from Russia. Most arms is just specultation from News outlets but no real confirmation from governments except the Yak-130s and BTR-80s.

I'd like to see some of those mentioned weapon get use on the boarder against aggressor thug BSF. The ways BSF has been humiliating Bd citizen for last 4 years, it seems there isn't any Bd army exist.

Bangladesh procures defence hardware worth $ 2 billion in recent years - The Economic Times ( completely different-English)

DHAKA: Bangladesh has procured defence hardware worth Taka 15,000 crore (USD 2 billion) in the past four-and-half years as part of its initiatives to modernise its armed forces, according to a media report on Saturday.

The mass circulation Prothom Alo newspaper quoting an unidentified "source" in the defence ministry said the highest Tk 4,975.5 crore was spent for navy followed by Tk 5,407 for army and Tk 4,722 for air force.

Inter Service Public Relations (ISPR) officials said they were not in a position to comment on the report immediately when approached by PTI on Saturday.

But the Alo newspaper said the ISPR earlier declined to divulge details about the defence purchases as the issue was related to "national security".

It said under the procurement during the Awami League government, navy got 16 ships, two maritime helicopters and missiles; the army 2600 armored vehicles, 44 third generation tanks and 15 APCs; the air force found short range air defence systems and 16 fourth generation fighter planes.

It said the procurements were made under several defence agreements with different countries but most of those were never revealed to public with one such being a defence pact between Bangladesh and Belarus in July this year when Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina visited the country.

Hasina, however, on many occasions said her government procured huge volume of hardware for the defence forces to face natural disasters alongside the external attacks.

Its in English but im not sure if this is a translation error or if the news outlet has no idea about defence. Its say we bought 2600 armoured vehicles and 16 fourth Generation planes(i think they meant F-7BGI which are just 3.5 Generation). But what about the 2600 vehicles-anyone know about what types and quantity??

Also i think the SHORAD mentioned meant the FM-90.

As or the Sub,Janes and AMI have stated this sort of figure before and most likely its going to be 2 song class subs from China.

@british_bengali no,

1. prothom alo separately mentioned SHORAD and FM-90.
2. song class sub price is max $250 million per unit, so $500 per sub is not applicable for song class. BD may buy it for training purpose. Type212A sub price is $500million and BN personal are in training for years in Turkey. so it suppose to be Type212 or Type214

for the first time i am hearing from professional who did not support procurement for armed forces, what a professional :disagree:

Last edited by a moderator:
@BDforever

That is true but what about the Yuan- Didn't that AMI international report state we're gettin 2 songs then after 2020 we are getting 2 yuans?

As far as the Germans goes,they aren't usually very keen on exporting heavy weapons to LEDC and human rights problems,look at saudi Arabia-they are taking ages just to consider selling 200 leopards. Type 214(love to see this sub) only cost $330 million and purchasing two also allows for us to buy a fews missiles for it. However on that topic, would the germans provide the certain types of missiles needed??
sorry if this may seem a bit ingnorant but my knowledge of Subs and their armanments are still a bit bad.

Very nice, " If you have army, you need weapons "; but the question is how much money was given to government, how much money they theft and how much they expense . Again, if this technology's are modern than their maintenance cost must be very high . I don't wheather this idiotic Hasina govt have that ability or not.

The government does not choose the equipment to buy....the Army does.....The AFD makes the final decision and allocates the fund!The chances of corruption are low when a deal is made between one government and another government....the risk becomes high when a third party is involved as a broker....in case of the deal with Russian no broker was involved.....When Hasina bought the MIG29s a third party made the deal for us.....that's how she stole the money!

actully,what previously BD members had said is that BD is buying 2 second hand Chinese subs for training purpose..most likely there are more arms bought under 2 bn..you forgot to add all the aircrafts bought from Russia along with ships bought from China and USA..

We have not bought any fighters(except for yak-130 trainers) from Russia....But we have not spent all the money in the deal yet....The report says we have till 2017 to complete the deal and have to start paying from 2018!

something similar and says SHORAD

i think you saw this one.. i think prothom alo refered SHORAD as FM 90

201112161458434eeb5ca34.jpg

@british_bengali no,

2. song class sub price is max $250 million per unit, so $500 per sub is not applicable for song class. BD may buy it for training purpose. Type212A sub price is $500million and BN personal are in training for years in Turkey. so it suppose to be Type212 or Type214

for the first time i am hearing from professional who did not support procurement for armed forces, what a professional :disagree:

Military procurements must flow from a clear concept. This one is largely benefiting the middle women/men.

@british_bengali no,

Type 212 is not for sell if we are buying song class then what benefit we will get training on type 209/214 in turkey :confused:

Type 212 is not for sell if we are buying song class then what benefit we will get training on type 209/214 in turkey :confused:

depends on Germany, if it wants to sell it to BD, there is another reason for BD to be in Turkey, SWADS also gets training from Turkey.

I do not know much about sub training, so can not say anything. @monitor, BD may also consider Dolphin-class submarine version

welcome back my twin brother :D long time no seen :)

Salamat man! Well ya, work keeping me away from PDF. Plus, hope the condition in our section have improved..or is the blame game, name-calling still going on? Lol.

Cheers!!!

Salamat man! Well ya, work keeping me away from PDF. Plus, hope the condition in our section have improved..or is the blame game, name-calling still going on? Lol.

Cheers!!!

the blame game and name-calling dropped little bit after i joined here and loki become mod though still there but those name calling fellows do not dare to quote or mention me, if they do, they get @$$ wiped LOL

Back
Top Bottom