What's new

Arabic Coffee shop

@xenon54

JUL 20, 2011 6:32PM ET / GLOBAL

The Billionaire Sheikh Who Carved His Name Into an Island
URI FRIEDMAN
original.jpg

GOOGLE EARTH​
The Sun has a curious report today on Sheikh Hamad Bin Hamdan Al Nahyan, a member of Abu Dhabi's ruling family. The paper informs us that the billionaire sheikh had workmen carve his name, Hamad, in capital letters into an island he owns in the United Arab Emirates called Al Futaisi, without elaborating on when the name was inscribed, how it was accomplished, or how The Sun learned of the exploit. The paper reports that the name is so massive--we're talking two miles across, with each letter over half a mile high--that it's visible from space. Indeed, it is. To get a sense of just how gigantic this thing is, here's a view of both Abu Dhabi and Al Futaisi captured by Google Earth's satellites in 2009 (we've inserted an arrow to Hamad's name):

Hamad%20Island%203.JPG

Zoom in a little closer and you'll see this post's lead image. Zoom in still closer and you get this:

Hamad%20Island%202.JPG

We'll forgive you if you have some questions. For example, don't names scrawled in sand wash away? The Daily Mail explains that the letters form waterways that "absorb the encroaching tide" (check out the "M" above). Or you might ask why Sheikh Hamad chose to write his name in Roman letters rather than in Arabic. Was it to make sure everyone in space knew who he was? Perhaps. But The Financial Times' Tom Gara has another explanation: "Not a lot of straight lines in Arabic." Gara adds that that Hamad halted the project "temporarily, halfway through (rumour is other royals weren't happy). For a while on Google Earth, it just said 'HAM.'"

Finally, just who is this man with the audacity to carve his name on an island for astronauts and satellites to see? The 63-year-old Hamad, it turns out, seems to live by the motto "go big or go home." Forbes notes that Hamad's Emirates National Auto Museum features a "custom-built globe-shaped motor home said to be one-millionth the size of the Earth itself" and a pyramid housing his vast car collection. Here's a shot of that motor home and pyramid from the museum's website:

Hamad%20Island%204.JPG

Hamad also built the world's largest truck--an operational Dodge Power Wagon 64 times larger than the original with a whole apartment inside--in the middle of the desert. Here's a BBC clip highlighted by Tom Gara profiling the vehicle (starts two minutes in):

The Daily Mail adds that Hamad has painted many of his cars in the colors of the rainbow, presumably the reason why he's nicknamed the "Rainbow Sheikh." Here's a picture from a Facebook fan page showing the sheikh standing next to a real Jeep and a Jeep replica:

Hamad%20Island%205.JPG

Before you start criticizing Hamad for his lavish displays of wealth, however, you may want to know that the sheikh is also a philanthropist who focuses on medical causes, according to The Daily Mail.

The Billionaire Sheikh Who Carved His Name Into an Island - The Wire

:lol:
Lol for this guy size really matters. :D

Thank you for this detailed answer and sorry for my ignorance.

What I meant was whether it is safe to travel on your own by boat from one Indonesian island to the other as my hobby is sailing and I have made plans of one day sailing to Indonesia by boat and then traveling from island to island.:)

Yes, I have heard that Sulawesi is beautiful too but I remember once hearing news about killings between Muslims and Christians. Now it is probably safe.

Sumatra is also beautiful. That is interesting. A Sumatran living in Java. Is that common?

I really want to visit Indonesia. Yes, I know that many Arab tourists go to Indonesia. Malaysia too. We like your guys and many tour operators arrange trips to South East Asia.;)

I want to see closer ties between the Arab world and South East Asia as we share a long history, religion, to a large extent culture and even ancestry. As I told you once then there are also people of Indonesian ancestry in the Arab world in particular Hijaz.;)
Can you show me a video, book or recommend places to visit? Is there any good documentary about Indonesia? Be it history, nature, cuisine, politics etc.

Also is it correct that Aceh is the most conservative area of Indonesia? And would you say that Sumatra is more conservative than Java in general?

Sorry for all the questions.

Well, I think Indonesia is quite safe, it is more safe in Indonesia than USA of course, by seeing how many murders happening in USA each day.....

Sumatrans like to live in big cities in Java, like Jakarta, Bandung, Surabaya. In Jakarta, it is just like United Indonesians :D You can find any girls from different ethnic quite easily here ...... :ph34r:

Yes, Sumatra/ Kalimantan/Sulawesi (Malay ethnic) and Sundanese people is more conservative in general than Javanese

I dont know whether Aceh is the most fanatic, but what I can say is that beside in Aceh... another conservative Muslim can be found in West Sumatra (Minangkabau) and West Java (Sundanese)

Minangkabau people is famous as a politician and businessman, and they are every where...first Singapore and Malaysia Presidents for example is from Minangkabau tribe, also some important and high ranking people in Malaysia.

Minangkabau people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Beside Betawi people, Sundanese also quite strong in Islam value in Java island

Sundanese people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I will bring you the video later inshaALLAH.

Last edited:
Lol for this guy size really matters. :D

Well I am not a billionaire but I suppose you have a tendency to involve yourself in outrageous projects when you have too much money to waste.

I recommend watching that interview with Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear.

@Indos

Thank you for you valuable answers once again brother.;)

I started to talk with an Arab-Indonesian that I had not talked to for a long time (we lost contact) back in Hijaz and we might go to Indonesia together as he is interested in sailing too and he has family in Sumatra.;)

@al-Hasani

If you like diving, this is the best in the world (Raja Ampat/Papua Province)

Jakarta

West Sumatra (the cuisine is amazing, particularly if you like spicy food)...don't forget Bukit Tinggi town

Many beautiful places in Indonesia, even if you ask Malaysian, they will acknowledge that

Last edited:
1189856683.jpg

CAMA

@Indos Raja ampat is very beautiful. I heard from my friends there's a dispute because of these islands between Indonesians and Aussies. Can you fill me in on the details.

@Indos Raja ampat is very beautiful. I heard from my friends there's a dispute because of these islands between Indonesians and Aussies. Can you fill me in on the details.

Some element in Aussie do speak vocal about it, but not the government.

We need to have a war with Dutch to liberate this island. Near the sea, Papuan people are Muslim, but inside the land many are Christians. I do understand some Christian element in some countries don't like to see Papua as an integrated part of Indonesia which is Muslim majority country.

Operation Trikora - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

@Indos
Thanks for that my friend. Indonesia is definitely a destination I would like to visit for several reasons. My father already spent time in Indonesia a long time ago as I told you. He only had positives to say although he was a small child. I remember that he told me that it was very humid but at the same time also poor. He lived in Jakarta for 1 year and went to an English school there due to my father's work. He also visited nearby Bali. Don't think that he visited any other area of Indonesia as he was mostly based in Jakarta, Java and Bali.

The coral reefs remind me of those found in our Red Sea which has the second biggest coral reef in the world after the Great Barrier Reef in Australia.

Nature wise then Papua seems amazing and wild. Always wanted to visit it. The Papua New Guinean side as well. When I was smaller I remember that I dreaded it as I saw documentaries about cannibals in that region.:lol: I would be very surprised if any Indonesian-Arabs lived on Papua that still spoke any Arabic.:lol:

@Nihonjin1051
Check out post number 2640. This will explain it. Still hilarious. I want such an private island as well and his car collection!

Algeria vs Russia tonight guys. A draw or a victory and we have an Arab country among the last 16!

I hope that Algeria can avenge the events from 1982.

@Indos

Nature wise then Papua seems amazing and wild. Always wanted to visit it. The Papua New Guinean side as well. When I was smaller I remember that I dreaded it as I saw documentaries about cannibals in that region.:lol: I would be very surprised if any Indonesian-Arabs lived on Papua that still spoke any Arabic.:lol:

Thats why I told you not so many of Arab Indonesian live there :lol:

But currently many non-Papua ethnic people live there, so maybe there are some Arab-Indonesian traders who settle there :D

Thats why I told you not so many of Arab Indonesian live there :lol:

But currently many non-Papua ethnic people live there, so maybe there are some Arab-Indonesian traders who settle there :D

Yes, probably. Arabs and trade are nearly synonymous words.:D

Indos, can you recommend me some Indonesian cuisine? What are the favorite dishes in Indonesia? Yes, I know that Google is invented but it is always better to ask locals.;) There is an Indonesian restaurant here in Copenhagen and I have long wanted to try it and I think that I might do so today since its not far from my flat.
I have tried Thai food and like that and I once tried Indonesian food in London but that was ages ago. I only remember eating a nice hot soup and a rice dish.

Also I justed watched that video of Papua. Amazing nature!

Yes, probably. Arabs and trade are nearly synonymous words.:D

Indos, can you recommend me some Indonesian cuisine? What are the favorite dishes in Indonesia? Yes, I know that Google is invented but it is always better to ask locals.;) There is an Indonesian restaurant here in Copenhagen and I have long wanted to try it and I think that I might do so today since its not far from my flat.
I have tried Thai food and like that and I once tried Indonesian food in London but that was ages ago. I only remember eating a nice hot soup and a rice dish.

Also I justed watched that video of Papua. Amazing nature!

According to CNN, number 1 and 2 most delicious cuisine in the world are Indonesian ones, Rendang and Nasi Goreng

World's 50 best foods: Readers' picks | CNN Travel

selera-nasi-lemak-with-beef-rendang-copy.jpg

Rendang +rice (West Sumatra)

esq-indonesia-0412-lg-21782557.jpg

Nasi Goreng (Indonesian fried rice)

@Indos I would love to go to Indonesia, how much will it cost for me to buy an Island there? A few Kilometers across, I'll get the helipad and port set up later I guess. Do you have an idea?

Back
Top Bottom